When do YOU buy accessories for figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusRex, May 9, 2020.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily talking about third party add-on kits. It may be an "accessory" in the form of an extra figure, shelving/backdrops, art supplies, flight stands, official "accessories" like Battlemasters, dollhouse furniture -- whatever you count as something extra you bought for something else.

For example, I recently got the discounted Selects Star Convoy because of Super Megatron. I don't love the figure. I didn't expect to necessarily. He's there for Super Megatron to stand next to and Super Megatron is something I got because I always liked the design and I actually really liked TR Galvatron.

In general, I've noticed a trend with my accessory buying.

I used to be very picky about accessories but I bought them to improve or offset figures I wasn't happy with.

Something's changed.

Now I buy accessories only for figures I really, really like. (I didn't buy gapfillers for Siege Prowl, for example. I like him. I like the IDEA of no hollow plastic in my figures. I kind of thought for awhile that he'd be replaced with another Prowl soon.)

I used to try to buy accessories or props to turn a C figure into a solid B.

Now I only buy accessories for an A+ figure but I'll mix and match multiple accessory kits. I don't buy a C figure at all and a B figure is, well... It's probably a placeholder. There's no point in upgrading a B figure IMHO because an A is always possible.

More obscure characters...? Not even then. Take Repugnus. I think his TR figure is a solid B to B+. I have all three basic head designs because I used to get accessories for figures like that. But now as I look at him, I see the Cyberverse version and I'm pretty convinced that Repugnus is getting a better figure within five years and I probably didn't need three heads for him.

Whereas I look at ER Quintessons and I think, "Yeah. Those won't get any better. Time to get accessories and a themed shelf backdrop and start looking into weapons for them."

• Like Like x 1
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Never.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Nemesis Baser

Nemesis Baser Rei III is so my mood

News Credits:
    When I feel they complement them, and not make them a whole new experience

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  4. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In stock

News Credits:
    I was planning on getting Super Megatron from day one since I heard about it... also ended up getting Star Convoy recently to go with Super Megatron since the price was too good to pass up... now I have a Combiner Wars Rodimus on the way to go along with Star Convoy as his official micromaster partner.

So I ended up getting an accessory... for an accessory. :p o_O 

If it makes sense or completes/complements a set up I like at the moment, I won't hesitate to buy it 9 out of 10 times. :D 

5. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only since Siege, the limited weapon of Sideswipe, and then the gaps on Ultra Magnus and Soundwave pushed me into it.

Then I looked into weapons that Hasbro has not included with older figures such as the insecticons and Legends figures...

Then the more I looked at so many figures from Siege that were so close to being great, but the gaps and lack of accessories simply took so much away to make them "whole"...

I then started making some.

So "when" for me is when a figure SHOULD have the things that I end up having to look up to compensate the cheapness of Hasbro

Earthrise is feeling even worse.. Prime's trailer is bare bones, Wheeljack's plastic stub is almost a joke.

At least Cliffjumper's accessories are darn good, probably the best of both ER and Siege and a good example of what should be.

And for those that goes off with the excuse "but but but, plastic amount!".. I give you Ironhide and Ratchet... both with accessories, Ironhide large hammer/missile launcher is ok, but Ratchet comes with three pieces (0.241) that doesn't match the hammer (0.281 oz). So there, two identical figures (aside colour) and different amount of plastic and still the same price.

Anyways, once upon a time, the figures were 50-70% cheaper and had huge and/or lots of weapons and/or gimmicks weapons (light up, sound, etc.), and now, we're lucky to get a single molded piece of thin plastic with gaps.

So again, "when" for me is when I need to complete a figure so that it has proper accessories and bad gaps filled.

6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Rarely. I have a few Perfect Effect kits, the Igear set for Generations Kup, and the Shockwave's lab forearm flaps for Soundwave. I wish someone would make some more forearm gap fillers for the rest of Siege and Earthrise, I'd buy those.

7. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

Usually it's when I think they really improve the figure, increase the play value or if they represent an important aspect of the character. First accessory I bought was the master sword for TR Fortress Maximus because I just cannot imagine him without it (on a side note, I tend to buy and give swords even to bots who don't vanonically use them because I love too much robots with giant swords). I bought a 3p Victory Leo figure to combine with MP Star Saber because I wanted him in his most powerful form. I bought some legend class figures to make dioramas where combines and city bots appear to be truly gigantic. I bought hands and feet upgrade kits for some of my figures (in particular the CW combiners) to make them more posable and expressive.

8. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I get the accessories when I can afford them. I got a lot on Shapeways I have been putting off due to my bank account. Once I get myself in a better spot I will be getting more then.

9. Chareos

Chareos Needs New Omnibots

News Credits:
    I buy extra weapons all the time for my figures. Accessorizing my action dolls makes me happy. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Do I ever shut up?

News Credits:
    Rarely, this is what I bought that I consider "accessories":
    -Hotrod & Crosshairsgot there Targetmasters
    -My Micromaster collection got Ironworks (he never leaves Base mode), Making a city.
    -Soundwave had gotten on of his tapes
    -I consider Weaponizers weapons packs.
    -Everyone in my collection is playing Guitar Lazerbeak at some point (like my profile pic)

11. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never

12. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I've become obsessed with effect pieces. They make photo taking and posing so much more fun! I really wish hasbro would release some that don't come with little figures I don't want though.

• Like Like x 3
  13. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I've found some homebrew customizers selling these for around $3 a piece plus shipping. Not much cheaper but I prefer more acrylic to rubber because there's less risk of chemical reactions eating plastic, I think. Plus I like all yellow and purple for a cartoon look.

14. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'll look on ebay for extra weapons here and there, but not that often. Although I did hold off on most of wave 1 of earthrise until I got the Matrix Workshop add ons for them.

Pie is good

15. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

For me it's a case by case basis. Often it depends on whether the accessories are going to improve the figure which is what the third party clip on heads for G1 Ironhide and Ratchet did.

I had Ratchet growing up but despite Ironhide being one of my favourite Autobots, I didn't bother getting his toy. Once I discovered the head set and saw how much it improved Ratchet, then I finally bought Ironhide.

Ironhide, Ratchet Encore g1 Visual Works Diaclone Green Black (18).jpg

It greatly enhanced the toy, making it one of my favourite G1 molds, and both look great in robot mode with Prowl and company.

While I thought Takara Devestator looked better than the Hasbro version, I couldn't justify the price. However I ended up buying 3 upgrade kits and the postage and customs on the Constructicon set ended up making the whole endeavour significantly more expensive than just buying the Takara set.

Still they did enhance the gestalt and individual robot modes. Long Haul got elbows and new forearms and Mixmaster got a nicer truck cab. Two actually.
    Devestator got a retractable visor and light up optics.

20181022_230157_001.jpg

20200316_212418.jpg

G1 Optimus Prime got a few enhancements. There's a nice set that gives him a rocket pack, his energo-axe, a Matrix chamber and articulated hands though the thumbs break easily.

I also bought the Device Label toy with the cartoon accurate head sculpt as I always hated the G1 toy's head with those creepy yellow optics.

20180821_204114.jpg

In the above pic, you can see Ultra Magnus also got a blue energo-axe from the set and I bought a new head for G1 Predaking which allows him to turn his head and gives him light up optics.

It's always nice when you discover that different variations of characters can use each other's accessories such as Titans Return Bumblebee being able to hold Pretender Bumblebee's smaller rifle or POTP Outback being able to hold G1 Outback's mortar cannon in his hand which the G1 figure can't do.

Even back in the day, I realised that Actionmaster Jazz, Grimlock and Bumblebee can fit inside their Pretender shells which was great because Jazz and Grimlock's inner robots were terrible.

Titans Return Kup can also wield his G1 musket laser and the reissue Recoil.

20180823_230408.jpg

It can work both ways. Squeezeplay's Titanmaster can fit in the G1 toy's Headmaster port giving the toy a nicer face sculpt and the ability to turn his head. You do need a small bit of blue tack as it's a bit loose otherwise.

20200328_132344.jpg 20190907_161845.jpg

Titans Return Quake can use his G1 Targetmasters and they scale reasonably well with his Titanmaster Chasm.

20200504_140241.jpg 20200504_140132.jpg

When I customised CHUG Trailbreaker as Kick Off, it was a happy accident when I discovered Kick Off's Turbo Pack fits perfectly on Trailbreaker's back and he can hold Kick Off's pistol too.

20200316_232343.jpg

While I don't consider them accessories, smaller figures do compliment the city bots.

20180827_213129.jpg 20180827_213602.jpg

Of course Titans Return Trypticon doesn't feel complete without Siege Brunt and CHUG Wipe Out to compliment Full Tilt.

20190929_200053.jpg

Same with the KFC cassettes who fit in G1 and Device Label Blaster. The G1 and MP cassettes are interchangeable too.

20190302_133654.jpg

Shapeways is great for accessories and heads for customising though I wish the sellers would paint the heads.

Here's Titans Return Galvatron with a new helmet and a custom Fixit from CW First Aid.

20181121_115859.jpg 20180821_205420.jpg

Finally, I'll finish with some happy accidents. The Combiner Wars gestalt hands fit perfectly in G1 Metroplex's wrist sockets giving him better hand articulation.

20180827_214207.jpg

I got a friend to customise an oversized ko of Classics Octane. The head is very different but I discovered that when you remove it, you can fit a Titanmaster in the remaining socket. Same with Transmetal/Armada Rhinox.

20190421_135543.jpg

There's a socket on G1 Ultra Magnus' left arm that fits Mini-con ports allowing him to wield the Armada Sky Boom Shield.

There's also a guy on EBay called Repro.man who makes replicas of G1 weapons and accessories. I bought replacement crab legs for G1 Octopunch. They're excellent quality and very reasonably priced compared to the actual G1 parts.

Anyway, cool topic.

20181226_221240.jpg 20181118_224442.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anthony Lewis

Anthony Lewis Member

Ive bought some Dr Wu accessories in the past for different bots, the Prime line mainly, DNA Designs of course for my Studio Series line. I like accessories and upgrade kits they often compliment the collectability of the bot a lot more I think as well and its just more fun. Had to get both Revoltech movie Primes to get all his gear.

17. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    When it helps a group lineup. I bought extra swords for the Dinobots, new weapons for the duocons, weapons for the insecticons.

18. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Last one I ever got was a City Commander, whenever that came out. I’ve printed some generic guns and some gap fillers. But, they’re far in between, due to time constraints. I suspect a lot of us are just printing our own.

19. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

I don't think there's a pattern for me. I did get the add-on kit for Siege Soundwave because I like the fan-mode tape deck form (it broke, which now has me annoyed), but I mostly like to appreciate figures as they are. Also, I don't feel good about dropping upwards of $20 on an accessory pack when I could just get a new Transformer for that money.

20. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Where? I've looked all over and the only ones I could find were on shapeways which is crazy expensive.