When Did Fortress Maximus Become a Lumbering Lunkhead?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Zeke1, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember reading the original Headmaster series and Fortress Maximus was the man in charge. I remember him being tall but not huge. I also remember him being smart. He gave this whole speech about escaping the circle of war. It was very deep.

Now I see him in toys and cartoons and he's as big as Metroplex and as smart as the Hulk.

What happened?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I can't remember a time that he's been presented as dumb. Maybe a tad monosyllabic, sure. Not dumb.

3. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    He's almost always been a cityformer... G1, Headmasters, RID01 all had him as a ginormous Transformer

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I don't recall him ever being dumb in any of the fiction I've seen or read...

Super simplified version: In the comics, his body was rebuilt so that a normal sized Transformer (Cerebros) would act as his head. He was bigger than the average Transformer but wasn't a Citybot. He was in no way, shape or form depicted as being dumb at any point in the comics.

In IDW it's kind of the same idea, minus being a headmaster and not being as large.

In the G1 Cartoon series conclusion, he was a rebuilt Nebulan city...so that's why he's a city bot. And he didn't have any characterization beyond a few words so we don't really know what his intelligence was.

5. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    those are both the same character from the same continuity, if you mean cartoon G1.

marvel G1 and IDW are the only places where he's been just big and not a cityformer.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He was never really dumb to begin with.

You might like IDW Fort Max, though he's a lot smaller but he's got his own story and everything. He's a badass with PTSD.

7. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

the g1 cartoon and the headmaster cartoon are not the same continuity

8. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Fortress Maximus was original a citybot toy, by far the largest one they ever made at two feet tall until Generations Metroplex was released.

Marvel Comics opted remove the whole citybot thing and simply made him into a big guy that led a faction of Autobots. Later in the story he was rebuilt into a larger form (a way to shoehorn Cerebros into the story). He was never portrayed as a lunkhead.

In the 80s Sunbow cartoon, he was literally just a enormous body built by Spike and Cerebros to combat the enormous Skorponok. He didn't say much due to being on screen for about 2 whole minutes (if that) and because he wasn't really alive. Those were the final few episodes of the original Transformers cartoon.

Meanwhile, after Season 3 of the cartoon, Takara diverged from Hasbro and ran their own story. It was called Headmasters and focused mainly on the four original Headmaster characters. They flew around in a huge ship called the Battleship Maximus, run by an Autobot named Fortress (Takara's name for the Cerebros component). He would transform into the head of the the transformed ship, forming Fortress Maximus.

Years later, Takara did a new series called Car Robots (the original Robots In Disguise series). Brave Maximus (Fortress Maximus in the Western translation) was a mostly mindless citybot that was rather integral to the overall plot of the series.

Finally, IDW's take on Fortress Maxmimus was as a fairly big and powerful (think Grimlock size & strength) character that operated as the warden of a maximum security prison run by the Autobots called Garrus 9. He did not turn into a base or battleship or a head; he turns into a tracked tank-type vehicle.

It appears that Titans Return will tie into the IDW comics and find Fortress Maximus becoming the head of a Metroplex-esque giant Titan.

I think that covers all the major depictions of the character (sometimes lack of character).

9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    What happened? You expected him to be exactly the same in every continuity, thats what :lol 

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Different versions of G1 have different versions of characters. As others stated, the original cartoon was where he was first a city-former, and not really alive. Him being so big does make sense, his toy turning into a city and all. The cartoon had many differences from the comics, like Soundwave being computer-like, and Shockwave being loyal to Megatron.

11. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    Oh this kind sir gets it. Through and through.

12. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, sorry, monosyllabic would probably have been a better description

13. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No. I was assuming (apparently incorrectly) that he changed to being a cityformer into all continuity, including G1. And I was just wondering when that happened. Because I remember him being Prime-like height at the start of the Headmaster series and I remember him being rebuilt to a height slightly larger but still small enough to get in a fist fight with Galavatron.

14. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks!

15. Altered Prime

he was a cityformer in the g1 cartoon and toyline

16. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yes they are. Rebirth was replaced with headmasters toon ;) 

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You are misremembering.

He was always a cityformer in the cartoons, but NEVER dumb as the Hulk. He always retained his intelligence. He wasn't even monosyllabic in G1. Not sure where you got that from.

18. Altered Prime

no they are not
    the japans g1 cartoons have their own continuity separate from the hasbro g1 cartoon

19. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

And to follow on from that, the Sunbow cartoon in North America ended with Season four which was just the three episodes of The Rebirth. Instead of that Japan continued the story with a wholly different story that diverged significantly from what was going on in the West.

They have have started with the same continuity but they definitely became two distinct storylines.

20. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    By G1 I mean the original Marvel comics