When Cartoon Shows Headed To The Movies!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here are two videos showing movies based on cartoon shows that got movie releases.

From the listed plus the ones not on them did you go see any of them at the movies? (did anyone get to see robotech the movie or bravestarr the movie on the big screen?) What do you think the best or worst ones are? Do you wish they still make them in America like they do in japan? Do you go to fathom events for anime movies?

What do you guys think?

Me I saw on a field trip care bears movie (I was little at the time), first two pokemon films and the last one at fathom events, digimon the movie (still can't unsee the angela andaconda short in front of it!) first two rugrats movies, both spongbobs, spider-man into the spider-verse, Bevis and butt-head do America, Goofy movie, recess schools out, and curse of the were rabbit.

Was going to see he-man secret of the sword and chipmunk adventure but didn't get to go when both came out and missed both.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It'd be nice to see something like that again because it always felt like a big deal when your favorite show gets to be taken to another level in all fronts. Though to be fair we still get them just not as much mostly in Japan and we do get films like Scoob coming out so it's not fully gone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gaastra

News Credits:
    We are getting spongebob and fathom events is showing a new digimon film also but it's no where what it was where we had tons of them. 1986 had three robot movies in one year with transformers the movie, gobots battle of the rock lords and robotech the movie in the same year!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, it still happens, just not nearly as often. We had that recent My Little Pony movies hit theaters, as well as all the Spongebob ones that was mentioned by Gaastra.

5. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Fun Fact: the first movie I can remember being taken to see (I'm sure not the first one period, just the first one I have clear memories of) is the 80's Alvin and The Chipmunks theatrical movie.

6. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Chipmunk adventure. Was that close to going to see it on the big screen.

Same with secret of the sword.

Just for fun--

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Some 90s movies.

8. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    51fDmwgis+L._AC_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    open-uri20150422-12561-1rms23m_5c8c8463.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll give this movie credit, the Dark Princess was memorable for being just plan crazy.
    lf.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deathcatg

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    MV5BNDE3MjgwNGMtYTU1Yi00ZDlmLTk3OGUtMjM4ZWYyZmJjZmQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzc5MjA3OA@@._V1_.jpg MV5BMmMxNWNhNjItZjhmMC00ZmViLThlYjItZDk5YTQ1MWZkOGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzY2ODYzOTU@._V1_.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I've never seen any of them in theaters, but I've seen most of them. Transformers The Movie is by far the best. Best animated, best voice acting, best music, ect. Then, I would put the Bravestarr film as second. It's almost as good as Transformers The Movie, but not quite. It's clearly written and designed to be a five part episode, that's been mashed together. Thus the film drags on a bit, and has episodic conclusions about 4 times. But, it is a great movie. I absolutely love it. After that, I would actually put the Rainbow Brite film. Which is a fantastic film. Rainbow Brite has a universe full of things in this movie that I wished they had explored more in the cartoon. The weakest of these films, I would put as My Little Pony The Movie. (The 80's one, haven't seen the new one.) I like the My Little Pony cartoon, (Original.) but the movie just isn't all that good. It's not really about much. It's about Megan trying to convince the snooty flutter ponies to save the world. Who only do so, after they themselves are in danger. I do love the snooty flutter ponies, though. They are great. I also liked the two Care Bear films. great films. The one with the magical book, and the one with Dark Heart. I like this better than the TV show.

I also like the Chipmonk movie. Which again, I like it better than the TV show. I like the Duck Tales film, and find it to be a better 'Aladdin' film than the actual Aladdin film. I love the money bin defenses and what not. I love Scrooge McDuck in that film. I love Scrooge McDuck in general. Never saw the Littles movie, didn't even know they had one. I am going to have to track that one down. I do like the cartoon. I found the He-Man film to be awful, but I'm not a fan of 80's He-Man in general. I like the 2000's version and the one in space from the 90's more. But, what I really like about He-Man is the mini comic books that came with the figures. Now, that is how He-Man should have been.

I've heard of the Robotech movie, haven't seen it though. I suspect that they're never going to release a copy of it in the states, anytime soon. So, probably never will.

The Gobots film is alright. It's a bit boring though. I liked the Digimon film, and the Pokemon film. I think I liked the Digimon film a bit more though. and, Batman Mask Of The Phantasm is the best Batman film ever, and my favorite Batman Film. Even if it isn't my favorite version of Batman. That's the one in the Super Powers cartoon. (Which is also my favorite version of Justice League.) Never saw the Doug one, wasn't too into Doug. So, can't really comment on that. And, I also haven't seen the Tom and Jerry one either.

But, overall, I really do like most of these movies. Glad it was a thing. It's a thing that should be brought back. In animated form. Enough live actioning things.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was never into either cartoon, but I'm surprised no mention of the Rugrats and Wild Thornberries movies. Maybe Hey, Arnold! as well, or was that just direct to video?

I believe that Disney's Recess: School's Out also received a theatrical release. I'm not sure if the Kim Possible movie was theatrical or not, although my spotty memory is leaning towards yes.

14. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Yes hey arnold 1 was (but jungle movie wasn't) and recess was also. (went to see it when it came out) No kim possible was not.

Other posters (thanks google and imp awards!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gaastra

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I'm sort of surprised at that, then. I was always of the impression that Kim Possible was the most popular of that batch of 'toons. So then if Recess's was, then KP's must have been.

If it was me making the call, though, I guess it would have made sense on the level that KP became a very fandom-driven show by the end of it, whereas Recess was generalist enough that theoretically anyone could have watched the movie as a stand-alone and been reasonably entertained.

17. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Funny thing about care bears movie and smurfs and the magic flute is they were the highest grossing non Disney animated films the year they came out! Both were huge hits! Care bears crushed disneys black cauldron at the box office!

Smurfs and the magic flute was a huge hit also. The film was made before the hanna barbera series with a awful uk dub that messes up the plot and gets all the names wrong then later two versions of the American dub. The version on Netflix and dvd is the uk dub.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That wasn't know as Disney's "Dark Age" for nothing.

Ironically, something like The Black Cauldron probably would've had more traction nowadays, especially as grim-er fantasy universes are so much more culturally accepted nowadays. Disney got "Disney ghetto'ed" on that one.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Gaastra

News Credits:
    Here comes the littles. Later got split up into 5 episodes after it's movie release and aired on the abc weekend special. Animation station released it on dvd but it's edited with the end credits replaced with the tv show ending and the intro removed the "here comes the littles" logo and just says the littles. Removing the end credits stink as it had a movie updated version of the theme song!

It's on iTunes but don't know if it's the edited cut. The original vhs is uncut.

20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Well, in that case, I've probably seen it. It's on You Tube too, on Dic's (Or, new Dic's) You Tube channel, last I checked. Absolutely loved The Littles as a kid. Fantastic cartoon. I watched it recently, probably two or three years ago too, on Dic's You Tube channel. Still a great cartoon.

Funny thing is, I generally like the dark age of Disney better than the other ages. It has so many unique, but amazing films.