What's your usual criteria for buying a figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Siege Fan, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Siege Fan

Siege Fan Well-Known Member

Do you just buy what looks cool? Does it matter if you know the character's history?

Back away totally if an alt mode is rubbish?

How much is price a factor, do you always wait for some sorta drop?

Does availability mean you eventually give up... or go all-out to obtain a figure?

I'm just curious because I'm at the point where I'll pay slightly over the odds just to know I've secured the figure, and not have to spend weeks wondering when the next restock is. That adds up when buying entire waves!

I'm all-in on WFC because if you're buying 90% of something... but usually it's because I like the look of either the bot or the alt mode, and I've had too many almost misses or paid well over the odds down the line. I often don't know the history and so it's cool when they show up in the comics I'm catching up on :rolleyes: :D 

Anyway, what gets you buying the plastic crack?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    For me it's a great bot mode great poseaiblity I'd prefer it to have a fun transformation and i don't need to know the character's history quite frankly i have no idea who Skyshadow is but i love him

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My personal criteria:
    1. Official only.
    2. Rarely wait for a sale. Missed way too many by not buying at first sight.
    3. I try to purchase at retail, but it's been mainly online now.
    4. Shockwave, no matter the series.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Forever

Forever Well-Known Member

First, Definitely have to be an emotional connection i.e the character I like
    Then, Cartoon accuracy
    After, Detailed

And, ideally, (I haven’t seen it exists) be made not out of plastic, but from actual metal, just like some collectible car toys.

5. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does it look cool and or fun?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Don’t hassle the Hoffimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Mines interesting:

1. is it a smokescreen? If yes, bought. If no, move to step 2.

2. Which generation is it from? If UT, G1, or SS; move to step 3. If from any other series, move to step 5.

3. is it a character I already have? If yes, move to step 4. If no, move to step 5.

4. Do I like the mold? If yes, bought. If no, not purchased.

5. do I like the character from the respective generation? If yes, bought. If no, move to step 6.

6. do I like the mold at all? If yes, buy potential repaint but go through steps 1-5 first. If no, not purchased.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

Is it a good likeness?

Are there cheaty bits to the transformation?

Is the alt mode worth displaying? (This is becoming a huge problem... Seige is fixing it.)

Does the toy look awkward, or awkward to pose?

Known QC issues?

Is this character worthy?

Would the aesthetic fit with the rest of my little dudes?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    - Alt mode should look good, realistic or at least "plausible" (i.e. Fuzors and Cosmo's UFO)

- With prices these days I'm often looking for a discount of some sort. Like, the ones I really want I'll go full price on, but I try to wait on others

- Stick to one scale, if possible. Both because "realism" and to try to impose some kind of restriction on purchases

- Don't buy something just because the character is cool, the toy itself needs to be worth it (that's kinda the point, after all)

- Transformation should be interesting and unique, and not cheat at anything

• Like Like x 2
  9. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    - Poseability is a must
    -Fun features, (Is it a good toy?)
    - Consistent aesthetic with chug
    - Do they fit with the main cast/do they look at home among the 84-89 characters
    - If an 84 carbot with a significant role is present, automatic purchase, (sorry bluestreak.)
    - Is a (GOOD) sideswipe
    - Transformation can cheat and partsform, But I expect little to no kibble or the partsforming bit becomes an accessory respectively.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. If I like the look of it, I'll give it a shot.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

In Vehicle Scale with the Diaclones. I like how the vehicle scale translates to the robot mode. Makes things more interesting when the likes of the Seekers and Constructicons tower over the Autobot cars.

Price has to be a factor. It's an expensive hobby as is without spending ridiculous money on a figure.

I've no problem buying third party or knock offs if they're in vehicle scale and/or and reasonably priced. I bought an excellent ko of MP Shockwave for €42 since it's nonsensical to spend money on the official figure which can cost over €80.

So basically, vehicle scale and price.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A figure that catches my interest...

Who am I kidding....I want to experience every figure

:lolol 

• Like Like x 6
  13. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Do i have that character?
    Is the articulation great?
    Will it be a shelfwarmer?
    Is it in scale?
    Is it on sale?
    Is the paint great?

• Like Like x 2
  14. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Character.
    Design.
    Series.
    price.
    Not Movie based is an A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    benefit and will be given more consideration.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jhund

Jhund Screws>Pins

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    In terms of importance
    Headsculpt
    Character
    Design / articulation
    Price

• Like Like x 3
  16. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    - They're on discount
    - In a scale I like
    - Looks cool in robot mode, can give less shits about vehicle mode
    - Isn't a gimmick toy
    - Preferrably less than $10 (in local currency)

I try to get just "guys I like" nowadays.

• Like Like x 3
  17. MasterScale

MasterScale Loose, comes with baggage...

Do you just buy what looks cool?
    Um... Sort of? I purchased Iron Factory's Nightmare Commander and three MMC figures simply because I thought: "neat!" In the beginning of my TF collecting, that's how it started - I just thought what ever toy I was purchasing had nice design.

Does it matter if you know the character's history?
    Again, sort of... in the beginning of my TF collecting it was a combination of nostalgia, I never had it as a kid and always wanted it and it just looks cool, and after I watched the JP Headmasters and Super God Masterforce that turned into a Headmasters focus, then Super God Masterforce, then pre-TF colored TF figs and now sort of back to 'it just looks cool'

Back away totally if an alt mode is rubbish?
    Depends. I'm not personally attached to Siege Ultra Magnus' alt mode, but I love the bot mode (even though I do totally appreciate how Hasbro got the two into one toy).

How much is price a factor, do you always wait for some sorta drop?
    I've found that inching close to the $300 range starts to scare me off. Even if I have the money at the moment. Even if the toy is HUGE.
    Not to bring this issue up as the focus of my answer to this question buuuuut I'm beginning to wonder how much I really want the Seacons - part of that being the price. The other part being my somewhat wanning interest in the hobby at the moment.

Does availability mean you eventually give up... or go all-out to obtain a figure?
    There are still some hard to get TF's sitting at overseas retailers that I consider getting. But $100-ish for a deluxe sized figure starts to sound... unreasonable. That being said, I did place an order for Turtler and Gulf at Hong Kong's Action Robo when all the NA retailers were out of pre-orders. $110 + shipping total for one voyager and one deluxe here I come...

Fun topic, by the who.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I like it.

• Like Like x 4
  19. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only get stuff I think looks good...but the more I like the character, the more I am willing to forgive in the looks department. My stuff stays primarily in bot mode...so the alt mode is not a primary factor (case in point is Siege Spinister...bot is awesome, chopper kinda sucks, IMO). I’ll pay the price the figure is worth to me. Most stuff these days I pay regular retail for. I NEVER feed scalpers. And I don’t give up on a figure...I wait until I finally find it in-store or loose on eBay or in a local shop for less than retail.

• Like Like x 3
  20. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been collecting for a very long time, and I always approached any figures/toy with a few criteria...

First, can it be regarded as piloted, as between the Shogun Warriors (Chogokin) and the Robotech/Macross stuff, I always regarded this factor to be a requirement.

Second, following the first criteria, is what scale can it fall under... being a piloted mech scale, or a starship/base scale.

Third was that while it needed to be a pilot capable type, I aimed for planes/jet/ships or tanks, as per military or rescue/assistance/construction type. Very few cars fit that capacity, so those are very limited in numbers.

Forth, can I make an alternative mode than the standard alt. So some figures were made into space fortresses and such...

So, some I simply got because I knew it was "right" for my collection, others, I got because they were simply great looking figures.

Like many, I had very little money as a kid, so TFs ('80s G1) weren't figures that I really got many at the time, but aside a few that I really did like, I didn't bother with them much as I was busy with other series. So throughout the years it was all about being picky, but the collection grew bit by bit, and now I find my numbers a bit scary at times.

But that said, Siege was the one series that pulled me in for wanting to go for the original crews and for the first time, I wanted the cars just as much as the planes/ships.

So for Siege (and Earthrise) my criteria have flipped:

I have not bothered with a few non-original crew for the most part especially those that are repaints, while only bothering with the original repaints such as the Datsun brothers and main seeker (with my custom Red Wing being a particular project), and gave up on the micro masters after the first few waves as they were too limited, terrible quality check so most being very floppy and no interest in any of the repaints.

As EarthRise comes out, I plan to aim for sales, and will again, still to the original crew for the most part, but open for interesting sideway figures.

Edit: I will note that depending on the figure's availability, as many have been "see it once. and it's gone never to be seen again", I would get it, as long as it managed to grab my interest. This has been a HUGE problem in recent years.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2