What's your favorite and least favorite music genres?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr JackatooTM, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    Favorites would be hair metal and classic hard rock, though I do like a lot of variety (rap, r&b, country...)

Like many here it seems I hate Banda, old yodely country music and metal where the singer sounds like a less coherent Cookie Monster.

2. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

Favorite: Heavy Metal: Thrash, Death, New Wave British, Power, Prog, Technical, Doom, Fantasy, Melodic, Battle, I like them all.

Least favorite: Can't really say I hate any style of music. I can usually find something I like in any genre (or at least respect). I guess I can say pop in general is pretty intolerable.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd peg my favourite genres as rock and metal, or rather subsets within the broader genre and probably classical music too.

My least favourite is probably rap (outside of like two or three classic songs) but I think that's because rap, from its humble beginnings to multimillion dollar powerhouse it is now has come from a cultural standpoint with which I share no similarities or common ground.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Favorite: 80s music from pop to hair metal

Least: Rap followed by country

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    My favorite is rock music, mostly from the 2000s. Like some of my favorites are Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, Evanescence, and Five Finger Death Punch to name a few.
    I can withstand SOME pop music like I love Katy Perry.

However, I CANNOT stand country music at all. I mean yeah okay Johnny Cash is okay (I really like Hurt) but for the most part its all garbage.
    Also unless its Eminem I do not like most rap music at all, its all mostly garbage to me.

6. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I have very diverse taste. I am very passionate toward punk, especially early 80's hardcore punk. Bands like Black Flag, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Bad Brains, and Gorilla Biscuits immediately come to mind. I also love a lot of various DIY punk bands. I have slight hearing loss because after high school I took a year off before going to college and went to punk/ house shows about 3-4 times a week. I also love post-rock, jazz, blues, swing, world music, and oldies.

I'm not a fan of metal, rap, pop, or modern country.

7. Segal27

Segal27 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Favorite: Progressive house or future bass edm

Least favorite: Heavy metal or country or trash rap

8. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    damn gimme that boring, dry old-school progressive rock shit. I also really like metalcore and that blackened shoegaze stuff.

My least fave is like ... bro country? Or whatever edm folks that say they're PLUR listen too or like yo I hate whatever genre Shawn mendes does

9. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Favorites:
    Hardtechno, Acid Techno, Brighton Techno, Hardtrance, Psychedelic Trance, Full On, Hardcore, Darkcore, Frenchcore, Industrial Hardcore, Industrial Rock, EBM, Future Pop, Rhythmic Noise, Breakcore, Drum and Bass, Crossover, Punk, Rock, Orchestral music

Least favorites (i.e. I hate this):
    Schlager music, german folk music, pop music, edm, dubstep

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I said I don't like country but Johnny Cash is a major exception

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Favorite Punk and Ska

Least Country, Pop, and Christian

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    Johnny Cash in my book was the original Punk

• Like Like x 1
  13. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Johnny Cash is cool

14. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

My favorite type of music... I lean more toward classical and military style music. I like good J-Pop and 80 rock music or anything that makes me relax or get my spirits up.

I don't hate specific genre, but my least favorites are rap (especially "modern" rap) and thrash metal a.k.a. screaming zombies and obnoxious drumming. I'm sure there are great ones out there, but they're not my thing.

15. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I enjoy all genres of music ranging from classical to metal. I love classic rock, modern rock, new wave, Latin high energy (Stevie B, Cover Girls, Cynthia, etc.) popular and house.

Soul, now called R&B is one of my favorite genres, especially when there's hip hop mixed in with it. BBV came up with "Rap smoothed out on the R&B tip with a pop feel appeal..." or something like that. Being a kid of the 80's and 90's, I always thought that R&B and rap went together like peanut butter and jelly. Some of my all-time favorite songs are collaborations between rap and R&B.

It's funny- Rap is both my favorite and least favorite genre, and that's mostly because of what it's devolved into. It seems like just a few short years ago when Akon and T-Pain were dominating the airwaves, but now, the rap played on the local stations is just pure, unlistenable garbage to me. In a few short years, I went from enjoying it to loathing it, and very little of it makes any sense to me. I don't know if I got old in a hurry or the music just fell off all of a sudden.

16. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

I'm a metal kind of guy. By that, I mean that pretty broadly. There's hair metal I'll listen to, then there's guys like Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne and Metallica through nearly its entire run, Disturbed, et cetera. I sometimes appreciate something softer, but I rarely go any softer than what is offered there, but I find guilty pleasures in some country artists.

Country, for the most part, I find obnoxious. Especially in the modern times and the advent of that "bro" country or whatever they call it. Cannot connect with hip hop, rap, much of pop, jazz and abhor that type of metal that sounds like belching into the mic.

17. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    i like a wide variaty of music. multiple rock and metal, quite a few variations of techno, rap and r&b, epic ochestra music, anything with a voilen and the type of battle music in pokemon and zelda games. even things with a dijuridu makes me happy! (my brother got one for his birthday once)

despite my wide appreciations, i do have dislikes. anything with what i describe as "whiny teenage b**** voice",*country music and a few songs with very odd rhythms. i'm also not fond of slipknot and slipknot wannabe bands. justin beiber and other younger singers also get my badside. i also dislike dubstep.

but most importantly of all.....i would burn every car that raises the bass to the point it shakes the ground over 3 parking spots away.....thats why i'm not allowed in concerts anymore.......

* = makes me wish i lived in abridged future trunk's timeline. the adroids killed country.

18. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    I like a bit of everything, really. I can usually find something I like in most types of music, Hardcore (not the EDM kind), Death Metal, Hip Hop, 80's pop (I have a huuuge soft spot for it), Thrash Metal, Funk/Soul/R&B, and various bands/artists that don't really know how you'd classify. I have another soft spot for J-Pop as well, it's just so infectiously catchy!

I can't stand Hardstyle and that 'We Like Long Build Ups and Disappointing Drops' sort of EDM though, or whatever you'd call those modern folk singers whose singing voices I can only describe as sounding like cartoon mice and/or Muppets.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Some Classical, '60s-'70s Motown/R&B, '80s Pop/Rock, '90s Rap.

Yeah, I hear you. I'm not sure you and I would necessarily agree to when and where rap had fallen off, but yeah, the quality and edge just isn't there anymore.

Everyone once in a while I'll find one "new" song I like, but for the most part, I just stick to what I've already got on my ipod.

20. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

Wow, lots of metalheads here! When I was in high school, the whole grunge thing took off and I had to hide away my Entombed and Napalm Death CDs (oh who am I kidding, I blared them anyway, like the attention seeking teenage brat I was). Yeah, I've always had a soft spot for metal, and back in the day most of my friends were big on hip-hop, so that became my defacto second-favourite (Tribe, Black Sheep, Pharcyde, etc.). Today I'm pretty open minded, but I still love metal and alt-hip hip (less Kanye, mope Aesop Rock). New "pop-country" and gospel or Christmas music are a bit of an ice-pick to the forehead though.