What's your 3P Figure of the Year so far, and why?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by mouschi, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Rahdimus

Rahdimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Magic Square Jazz
    Newage Skyfire
    Newage Cyclonus
    Newage Comic Deco Megatron
    FT Tesla 2.0 (I have a Perceptor soft spot)

Honorable mentions: MMC Carnifex Reissue; MS Menasor since I just completed it last month

• Like Like x 4
  2. mouschi

mouschi Well-Known Member

fun seeing so many different takes!

3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I didn’t give a real answer so far, so here is my real answer:

None. I think. D:

I’m at the point now, I think (and have been for awhile), where I am just basically filling in gaps and holes and side-grading.

MMC’s Reformatted stuff was the most fun for me. Sucks it’s slowing down/ending.

So if I *had* to choose — it’d be any of Reformatted stuff that I got during the last year. And maybe PX’s Grimlock.

• Like Like x 2
  4. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

I had to catch up a bit this year and bought some older figures. Amongst them are some great 3P bots (MMC Saltus, MMC Zinnia, MMC Omne, BC Steamroll, FT Hunk, FT Jabber, KO MP47). But I guess this is only about figures from 2022. So my top 5 atm would be:

1. XTB Janssen (Destroys his competitor; best accessories ever.)
    2. FT Chomp (Don't have him and won't buy him because I hate the Headmasters concept, but I love how this guy looks.)
    3. FT Phantom (I've just ordered him today. He's got the best and most toon accurate headsculpt of all 4 MP Mirages.)
    4. FT Rig (Lovely little fella.)
    5. MMC Tempo (I prefer the tapes to be human sized, but this Steeljaw is very tempting. When the regular version comes out it will be hard for me to resist.)

There have been a lots of great looking Legends, but I don't collect them and just have limited knowledge, so my post is a out MPs only.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn, did he come out this year? Feels longer. I really suck at these figure of the year discussions because I can never remember just how far back the year goes so I'm always just thinking of the last two or three months. But yeah, if MST Devy was this year, then I can't think of anything that I would consider to top him.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DarthBacon101

DarthBacon101 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I got back into it this year after selling most of it a few years back, But i'd say this year's favorite is Newage Toon Ymir, I love this guy

311781752_142963031807208_2629505052198334182_n.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  7. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    He was completed early this year :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. Huub

Huub G1 - Magic Square nerd

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    MS Devastator and MS Prime v2.

20221116_000001.png 20221115_235823.png

• Like Like x 20
  9. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

I didnt get many TF figures. I might if bought 3-5

hmmm ?

Ft Rig
    Ft Outrider
    Ft Phantasm
    Ft/Rp Acoustic wave
    Te Speed Star (Mirage
    DS Blaster
    FT Perceptor

all good , but not mind blowing

• Like Like x 1
  10. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Gotta wait to see Jive first but xtb Caravaggio genuinely surprised my at how good it is. Wasn't expecting that level tbh.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jimoinj123

jimoinj123 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tie between: 1) Newage Cyclonus and Newage Jetfire. Stunning sculpt, great transformations and alt modes, and paint (for Cyclonus at least) is stellar.
    2) Newage Grimlock - beautiful toon (or toy) accurate Grimlock with great articulation, proportions and in the case of the toy version, paint.
    3) Newage Arcee - the best Arcee made at any scale - smart transformation, great sculpt and proportions.
    4) Newage Starscream version 2.0 - stunning upgrade, great sculpt, transformation and paint.

For MPs, I feel they have been pretty meh this year, but Robot Paradise Soundwave was masterful (other than some tolerance issues and easy paint scratches).

• Like Like x 4
  12. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Newage Hephaestus (Constructicons / Devastator) toy-color set, because it evokes the toy nostalgia from the '80s so well in the vehicles modes and combined, and has the right shades of purple and green for G1 toy (and likewise their toon set), tolerable transformation, and good materials.

[​IMG]
    (toon version for reference)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fans Hobby Master Builder MB-14A Flame Breaker (Kap US coloration). Same reasons - G1 toy nostalgia, great transformation, colors, and materials.
    [​IMG]

Newage H44EX Ymir toy version Grimlock
    aka Mini Grinder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almost everything else I got in 2022 wasn't a 3P TF (or a TF at all, for that matter). Those three were great though.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
  13. skunkobot

skunkobot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    RP-01 hands down. Was he released this year? I got him this year, so that should count. All around excellent figure with wonderful presentation. Feels great. Looks great. Transforms into a box adequately. Plus, he had big stompy feet.

14. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

Monocrat. This is the only figure I’ve ever purchased where I find myself just staring at it.
    3C9B8F8F-E6EC-459F-AB31-6AD9649378C6.jpeg
    Once I transformed it into tank mode I just started laughing. It looks so goddamn good. The sculpted detail is so perfect, so well-layered. The paint adds such a degree of depth. And the overall design is so utterly Megatron. It embodies everything I wanted Megatron to be ever since I was a 9 year old kid back in 1984.

This isn’t my favorite figure of the year. This is my favorite figure, period.

• Like Like x 13
  15. Jazzymouse

Jazzymouse Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    My pick is also NA David. I didn't even plan on buying him- I bought a Darius off Taobao and they sent me a David instead- a more expensive figure! Needless to say I wasn't too upset. Over the months I've spent with him he's become one of my favorite transformers ever. When he's in my sight he doesn't leave my hands. I know that he has a double-chest, his arms are lame compared to later versions, and his trailer is kinda empty and shitty, but he might be the single most fun figure I own. The joints are great and the transformation is really just a joy- I love the way that you can transform the torso and legs independently and add them together as the final step! One final note- the paint is immaculate and hasn't scraped let alone chipped.

• Like Like x 4
  16. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

My feeling exactly on this, and i do also wish he came with a booster, the only missing accessory, but damn he is sooo beautiful and cool to own, even without the upgraded elbows... ;) 

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  17. YellowGuy

YellowGuy Well-Known Member

If it's gotta be specifically transformers, then Newage Ymir is probably my number 1 of the year, with Iron Factory's grimlock with a close second I bought Ymir on a whim just cuz I wanted a g1 grimlock but he surprised me out of the box. Great aesthetics, fantastic articulation, a very fun/simple transformation, and a decent amount of accessories? What's not to like! 20220817_011852.jpg

Iron Factory's only a close second because I'm not too big on the dino mode and the fiddlyness of its kibble is annoying to handle. Other than that, this guy got shelf presence with his looks alone. Amazing paint job and not tk mention a super menacing samurai look that fits extremely well. 20221002_171048.jpg

But, if I'm being honest, if we're extending the list to any transforming figure, the Metal Slug Transformer is definitely my figure of the year. While the transformation is a bit wonky in terms of the treads, it has been a while since I've handled a figure that has felt this great, not to mention a banger of a price you get him as! While there is back kibble, I personally don't mind, since i feel it's fitting for someone in metal slug to have a back pack. But man, this guy just looks and feels great; and he's extremely solid too! 100% reccomend this guy if you ever want a tank transformer in your display
    20221022_132559.jpg 20221022_125159.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  18. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    @YellowGuy

I almost pulled the trigger on Metal Slug, and still consider him for the future, he seems much more worth it then most of the FT figures coming out. What kept me from pulling the trigger is that i am favoring toys that are 7" and smaller right now for my small remaining space left, and the robot mode of this being 9" tall, i dont have a place for him. I think if he was 5 - 7 " tall, that would be ideal for me to put him with my small Macross collection. I could keep him in tank mode too i guess, he is very sexy. I kinda wish they KO Downsized him, lol, but you make a very hard bargain, damn he looks awesome, thanks for sharing the pics.

19. Impreziv

Impreziv Well-Known Member

Newage. Seems like all they've released this year has been money!

• Like Like x 2
  20. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

1. X-Transbots Hauler, Inferno, Grapple and Artfire
    2. Moon Studio Radiatron
    3. TFC Nuclear Blast Arctic Camo Ice Wolf.

With an planet eater sized nod to PlanetX Cacus

• Like Like x 3