What's wrong with anime fans?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MpCollector81, Apr 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raiju

Raiju Mendokusai desu... Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Yup.

It's perfectly fine to detest these genres of anime. Not everyone is going to like it. That's OK, no one is forcing anyone else to watch it. But it's equally fallacious to claim that watching these movies alone will bring about real-life violence and sexual assault against minors. Similar erroneous claims have been made against video games and music.

That's why these types of material tend to be restricted and hidden in "upstairs floors/rooms" in a lot of hobby and manga stores in Japan, just as we Americans have our Parental Guidance system for rating movies/TV shows and the ESRB for video games. Banning these materials outright isn't the answer as its just starts the slippery slope of infringing on free speech.

And on that subject, that's all I have left to say, really.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Ninja Scroll is gratuitous, but it's no worse than a Quentin Tarantino movie. It's rapidly becoming obscure now, but was revered by fans of a certain time frame because:
    -Western access to anime was still limited to relatively few titles. If it was available, then it was loved.
    -It was unusually well animated.
    -It deliberately violated the "animation age ghetto" in every way conceivable, which is extremely satisfying for a fandom frustratedly seeking validity.

Now that anime is more mainstream here, the movie seems pointlessly gratuitous, but it's very much a movie of its time.

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
  5. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Well by default I would have to be the constant- as this is my story, and through these unfortunate interactions have remained friendly, approachable, extroverted and awesome. I smell great too!

I suppose I could have mixed things up a bit- or perhaps asked for some input from the neighborhood squirrel Charlie- who was spectating. I could see him through the window beside me, perched on his branch, greedily shoving nuts in his mouth as things unfolded below. That Charlie, what a silly little squirrel.

If cool and mainstream means practicing good hygiene and not legally changing my name to somehow elevate myself above/separate from those who keep their birth names- then you've caught me! I'm most definitely guilty.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Ax'Rel Moonkin III, the first of my name. Blessed be..."
    "No, your name is Aaron Michaels, and you work at Chapters. I bought a page-a-day calendar from you last week."

I've certainly met other toy and comic fans that I have disagreed with, and had zero interest in getting to know on any personal level- the Anime fans have been the most extreme of these examples- encompassing all the worst aspects of fan stereotypes. These are merely my experiences. There have been more- however I decided to choose the most recent to share and skip the rest.

As stated in another post- I recently discovered that a mutual friend is a closeted Anime fan and we spent the day hanging out, and now we're planning gym dates and board game nights. So its not all doom and gloom- and if my thread only reads to you as a 'humble brag' that's your experience. See ya round bro!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    everything.

7. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Indeed. I don't have any objections to what he posted, or this, so agreed.

-------

If people want to think I am holding a double standard, then fine. I am no less harsh with the examples you gave of American cinema and the genre(s) I specifically pointed out. I mean...where is this "double standard"? The thread is about anime fans, thus anime genres are going to be a part of the discussion. American cinema is non-sequitur to the topic, but since you and others brought it up...well, I didn't disagree that there are questionable forms of entertainment here, did I...

Which I tend to avoid for similar reasons. So again, where is the double standard? We're talking about obnoxious anime fans, and I brought up known aspects of anime which have, for the most part, made it such a turn off for me over the past 20yrs. When you or anyone else brings in non-anime aspects of other cinema to contrast my opinion, I'm not saying "well, gosh, that's different," I'm agreeing that, yeah, some of our shit is weird too. And the primary subject remains to be about anime fans which has to do with what they watch.

:sly: 

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    To be fair, this more or less sums up my opinion of Transformers fans, too.

9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I rewatched Ninja Scroll a few years ago, honestly if you changed the word 'Japan' for something like 'Nihonas' or some other vaguely East Asian word, Ninja Scroll could pass as the Westerosi eastern lands. In fact the most major difference between it and Game of Thrones is that in Ninja Scroll, the good guy more or less wins rather than has his head cut off. Honestly it's only gratuitous because its a cartoon but 99% of it's content would probably go with little to no comment on HBO.

As for what happens to Kagero; yeah, it's fuckin' heinous and the 8 Devils of Kimon are just the worst kinds of people - in fact as their name implies, they're probably not people. That doesn't make what happens to her any less distasteful but when one consider's the genuine excesses that some 90's Anime got up to, Ninja Scroll is conspicuous in it's restraint.

10. Shrapbackshell

Shrapbackshell Well-Known Member

11. Junk Squirrel

Junk Squirrel Squirrel of Space

Connecting this person's behavior with being an anime fiend is pretty unjust --and this coming from someone who hates the modern fandom.

12. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

It's been so long since I watched a good collegehumor vid. Thanks for that!

Well that's unfortunate- and a topic for another thread! :D 

I've met a few Transformers fans that I didn't form any lasting bonds with. Perhaps due to a lack of common interests outside the hobby, or the fact that they are introverted and require some gentle prodding to get out of the door once in a while. Unless someone is wearing a Transformers shirt, driving a car with an Autobot decal or holding an expensive toy at a retail store- it's not always obvious they're a Transformers fan.

Anime fans tend to be more visible. Now that I have a better understanding of what it means to be an Anime fan, weeabos everything that comes with it- I've decided to let this topic rest.

13. flamepanther

I think you'll eventually find that most of them don't. Most of them are more like your "closeted" friend. For reference:
    Toupée fallacy - RationalWiki

You likely meet anime fans every day and never realize it, because it's not obvious. The small minority that go off the rails are easily visible, so you notice only those ones.

Also keep in mind that anime fandom is much, much larger than Transformers fandom. So even though the weeaboos and crazies make up only a tiny (but loud) portion of anime fandom, it's going to seem like there are loads of them compared to Transformers fandom simply because there so many more anime fans of all types.

14. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I have to say that's generally true for me from an anecdotal/personal experience perspective. I don't go out of my way to let others know that I like anime (or that I'm into Transformers, GI Joe, etc.), nor do I try to advertise it with graphic T-shirts or anything unless I feel like it (which is rarely; my wife has her own little collection of Saint Seiya T-shirts too). Only real way to know is to ask or bring it up in general conversation, or picking up little hints, like toys or knick knacks on someone's desk.

Now I do have some Transformers figures and stuff on my desk, but they're small (Legends or RPM's and Robot Replicas) and tend to be in alt mode so most people just assume they're little models of vehicles (being military, have to try to appear professional as well :lol ).

Similarly, my new coworker recently settled into his new desk at the office and he had some knick knacks of Vegeta from Dragonball Z, so we got to talking about anime. Couldn't really tell that he was a fan just by looking at him though (but then again, we're in uniform most of the time so wearing a Dragonball Z shirt is sorta out of the question :D ).

15. seali_me

[​IMG]

Sported this to work once. I had to restrain some of the ladies unprofessional behaviour.

Never again.

16. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

This is an interesting direction the thread has taken. While not a huge fan of anime, I enjoy some of the older series and standalone movies, but in no way, shape or form, divulge my interest in the work office. Nor do I express my interest in Transformers, cosplay or action figure collecting. I work in a law office with a bunch of conservatives and prudes, so aside from my love of sports, I keep my interests and hobbies to myself. Besides, the office isn't the place or time to let people see the "real you." The only things I have decorating my desk are a plush football from Superbowl XLIX and a Matt Cain bobblehead.

17. flamepanther

I have Transformers at my desk, but no anime stuff currently. A couple years ago I did have a couple of small VF-1 Valkyries from Macross. The SVP of my department is an anime fan, but you'd never know it. He's a graying, old-fashioned conservative Southern business type, with suspenders and shiny shoes. The only clue is the Goku coffee mug on his desk.

The moral of the story is: we're hiding all around you! :ev: 

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I have that one too!! :D  But he sits on top of my monitor...

19. seali_me

The watch is unisex. Be careful!

It's sex appeal is also universal!

20. Raiju

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Cut off one head, and two shall take its place! Hail Hydra! :lol 

Now I'm imagining a Colonel Sanders type who's way into Dragonball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.