What's the worst rip off you've ever seen for a toy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shrapbackshell, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Shrapbackshell

Shrapbackshell Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has already been done, but I've had a few experiences with people that don't know how to price their stuff.

I don't mean deluxes being £15/$15+, I mean finding things for ridiculously high prices in vintage toy shops when you could easily find them way cheaper elsewhere (sightings don't have to be in vintage toy shops necessarily, nor do they just have to be about transformers)

I'll start off:

I once found a g1 sizzle (missing his engine)in a retro toy shop for £35, I didn't even know if it still sparked, but the guy trying to sell it to me tried to impress me by telling me that it was from the 80s, then he tried to tell me that 2 go bots figures ( tank and someone else I think) were father and son, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's true

I also found g1 grimlock for £50 once, too.

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you seen what Universe Cheetor goes for these days?

Why that piece of garbage is so expensive is completely beyond me; especially since the original Cheetor that was made in the 90's is FAR superior.

3. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I know a toyshop tried to pass a knock off G1 soundwave as well the saying goes The real McCoy toy.

4. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Some asshole on ebay trying to get $170 for a mw-01 seaspray. Hows that for insane

5. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Do TrU's $20 deluxes and Kmart's $75 Insecticons count?

-There's a collectors shop I go to on occasion that has standard deluxes for $20-25, and most of them are the ones clearanced out at Marshall's and Ross for $5-6.

6. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw someone put a generations blurr up for 1500.00

7. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $200 for a Beast Wars Tripredacus. Granted, this was on Amazon, but that's still radically ovepriced. I could get one for ~$60 on eBay, who in the right mind is going to buy one for $200?

8. Optimus.Magnus

Optimus.Magnus Swingin' the chain

It's always on eBay. I don't know what people are thinking, but I regularly run into sellers asking $1000-$10,000 for items that have been produced within the last 10 years and are readily available. I saw a Classics Prime like that recently. I can only assume, for their sake, that it's a foreign seller who accidentally selected "US dollars" when they meant some other currency.

9. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    Biggest rip off that I've seen, other than potentially fake listings online, was at a local toy shop I stopped at a month or two ago. Guy had an incomplete movie Blackout he was trying to sell for $40, didn't have scorponok or the propeller piece and yet still felt it was worth the price because it was an onscreen movie character.

10. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

A second-hand toy store owner tried selling me an incomplete G1 reissue Thundercraker (only his body was there) for $95. I laughed, telling him I paid less than that for a 95% complete G1 Metroplex (was missing 1 missile and Scamper's gun) at a similar store.

11. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

By far 3P.

It preys on the fandom's thirst for instant gratification collecting habits while hiding behind a mediocre quasi crowdfunding without really giving any early bird any kind of substantial benefit. The latter just locks funds and any choice involved. The worst part it also feeds on the fandom's lack of knowledge in plastic quality. If you thought your local big name retailers are gouging you with Generations leader jetfire price, think again. There's no one governing 3P prices just pure black market. Funny part is once official toys come out, the fandom finally finds something to agree with, an almost unanimous agreement... Official toys outdid the 3P.

Other than that, the G2 Menasor eBay fiasco that happened here.

12. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Just take a look at some of Amazon's prices.

13. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yea, local shops that sell transformers and other action figures tend to be terribly overpriced. i think the throttlebots were going for about 35 dollars each at one. not every g1 toy is a priceless artifact of our childhood. :lol 

as much as i love the throttlebots, i'd never spend more then 10 dollars each on them. lol and at 10 dollars, they better be mint condition.

wow, is metroplex really going for about 95 dollars these days?

i mean i paid 55 dollars for one, had everything but the missiles. which i didn't care about anyways. the guns look better without them. granted mine is a plastic wheel version. and this was the early 2000's.

14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Ive seen several examples but the worst and funniest one was a flea market vendor selling a MISB Armada Side Swipe for $89.99.

15. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Maybe not the worst ripoffs but Marvel Legends figures seem pretty expensive for what they are. For Transformers, there is a shop I visit to check out all the figures they display in person but I rarely buy from them...They charge ~30%+ more than anyplace I see online.

16. jbwkkl

jbwkkl Wrecker for life

No, I said I had paid less than $95. If I remember correctly, I bought him for $65-70 about 7 years ago.

17. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    People that sell afa graded stuff for $1000

18. Zer0Prime

Zer0Prime Well-Known Member

Amazon has some good prices sometimes. I bought MP Bumblebee and Crosscut for less than MSRP. It was only a couple dollars cheaper for each one but you'll find a nice deal once in a while

19. Darkshift

Darkshift Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :bowdown: 

20. Shonuff

Shonuff Well-Known Member