What's the name of this comic?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SHINOBI03, May 25, 2014.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

While moving our stuff clearing the mess, we found this little old WWII comic book in which Dad said he used to read them back at the day, but it's missing a whole lot including the front cover and thus we can't tell what's its name. Anybody knows what it's called?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

So using the copyright info at the bottom of that one page, I have figured out that it's from a comic series called Sabre Thriller Picture Library. Unfortunately, in 1971 they released quite a few war themed books. Here's a link for ebay that shows a few examples from 1971:

thriller picture library 1971 | eBay

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its from the Sabre Library range, its pretty much undocumented on the internet and nobody really seems to know whether the different genres (War, Thiller, Romance, Western) were actually different series or whether they were just one line with same numbering. The ones at the ebay link are from Fleetway's line rather then this one.

Picture Library comics, particularly war titles, were a big thing here in the 60s and 70s. They were still around quite a bit when I was a kid in the 80s, but they eventually thinned out and the only one left now is DC Thompsons's Commando. They were distributed to commonwealth countries as well, which would explain how your dad ended up with them if your from Australia, NZ or Canada rather then the UK.

4. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Dang! I guess there's no chance to get reprints of them?

As for my dad, he said he used to travel a lot in his youth going from Paris to Italy and Egypt and the region had a boom of WWII artifacts around the 70s so it wouldn't surprise me if he had some interest in it.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I could swear I saw some recent reprints, or at least very similar stories, at a warehouse distributors sale a while back, so they may be out there in some form.

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not of that publisher in particular, but there's been a whole bunch of Commando and Battle Picture Library reprints in recent years and they are all the same type of comic. Chances are your dad had those as well since they were much more prolific then Sabre. Here they are on amazon -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc...ywords=commando+comics&ie=UTF8&qid=1401032906

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...+library&rh=n:266239,k:battle+picture+library

Commando is still running in the original print format and in digital as well, here's their website -

Commando Comics - For Action and Adventure

That's cool, there must have still been quite a bit of stuff to see back then.