What's the most disappointing tf toy you ever bought?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by awesomem131, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    I'm not quite willing to put Skids on a list of "most disappointing TFs" since I love him too much, but I'll be goddamned if I can get any version of that mold to stand up on their own. I have Skids, Crosscut, and AoE Rollbar all on display because they all look pretty cool, but they're all leaning against someone slightly taller behind them which is always a pain.

2. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Gonna add one. Although technically I dod not buy it. Classics Devestator. Received as a gift many years ago, but man did I hate that thing. I got him when I was 16 right after I started collecting TFs. He was ugly in design, extrremely repetitive as a set (there where two sets of combiners that were just straight repaints of one another, no individuality) He looked nothing like G1 Devy except oh wow, he was purple and green!! It actually pained me so much to see that thing on my shelf every day that I just gave him to my younger brother, who beat that thing up from playing. Good, it was worth more as a toy than anything remotely of collector's value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Did you unfold the knees as far as they'll go?

Because you're probably going to say yes and the reality is no - they actually go PAST the point you think they're locked if you apply enough pressure, and somehow this corrects his entire center of gravity. I forgot to mention that part in my little rant but it really is nerve wracking to push the knees past what by all rights feels like their maximum, since you can't be sure until after the fact.

4. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    It's almost like it was a toy or something.

5. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

...You do realize that Transformers figures are supposed to be toys, right? Also he's a repaint of Landfill/Build King. And this Devastator is from a line full of repaints that generally didn't look like the characters they were homaging.

6. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Weird I've had no problem standing up any of the three I have (Skids, Crosscut, & Rollbar). The only issue I have is that Skids' arms are a little loose. Still, I LOVE that mold thats why I have it as three different characters. Anyone else see AOE Rollbar as a redshirt?

When I get a gift I make sure not to get rid of it or sell it. But man was I disappointed in MP Prowl & Thundercracker. Sure Thundercracker at least looks nice on the shelf but these two have turned me away from the MP line and developed my disinterest in the line, thats why they sit on my shelf as a reminder. Its going to take an MP Windblade to reconsider my thoughts now.

The same happened with Prime 1st Edition, was super disappointed in NYCC Bee & Arcee. I started to warm up a little after getting SDCC Zombie Cliffjumper but the only 1st Edition I've been fully pleased with was the Megs mold cause I got it as Rampage. I'll stick with my Prime Robots in Disguise figures thank you. They're easier to transform, they also look nice on the shelf, and they're just more fun to play with.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. AMG

AMG Old School

Animated voyager Megatron for quality control reasons. As soon as I removed him from the box his leg fell off.

8. Gremnock

Gremnock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    TR Alpha Trion. As soon as I pulled him out of the box, both arms fell off at the bicep.

9. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

Skids and Mudflap - Deluxes and ice cream truck.

10. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    CW Warpath. Begs the question why he was included in a toy line with 'combiner' in the name.

I got him heavily discounted and still feel robbed. Needless to say, he was given to my boys and now dwells in the depths of their TF box.

11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Classics Devastator was the Energon Constructicon Maximus repaint. You're thinking of the Universe Devastator...

12. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

One of my biggest disappointments was opening MP-3 Greensceam thinking he was going to scale with MP-1 and then to be confronted with a relatively tiny guy. The figure was so good though I was quickly turned around.

Not a particularly terrible figure or expensive, but RID Knock Out was a disappointment. He was my favourite character on the show and unfortunately, due to what was happening with the economy at the time, he came out missing some crucial paint applications and felt small and unsubstantial for the price point. I'd like at some stage for Hasbro to take another crack at giving us a deluxe Knock Out, generations style perhaps.

13. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's true that this helps, but it doesn't completely resolve Skids' balance issues. If his foot had a heel or could slide back under the leg a bit more, he'd be a lot more stable.

14. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Ive been disappointed with this current Alpha Trion. His color layout is a mess and transformation isn't fun.

Airrachnid and Knockout are disappointing, but I love the characters so much!

15. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fall of Cybertron Jazz.

Tiny, hollow
    bone-white plastic that erased all surface detail
    dead eyes and a prune face.
    rattled when you handled him like a sack of beans
    Made on someone's lunch break on their last day of work after they found out they were getting laid off but also found out that they won the lottery. Not like, a huge jackpot or anything that would make them happy. Just enough to tide them over for a month or two while they looked for work.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

I think for his size it works out well enough - he is the shortest Decepticon in the show IIRC - and while I agree the paint apps problem is flat out inexcusable (they remembered the gold inlets on the hood but not the rims?!), most of them are rectified with the Reprolabels set and some careful sharpie work.

It meant the difference between 'unable to stand without leaning against an immobile object' and 'being able to stand without support' in the case of my figure. I do feel that the entire leg transformation from hip to toe is absolutely horrid, though. Like all the effort went into the upper body's complex weapon gimmicks and the legs half-assed as a result instead of moving some of the mass behind his lower legs down to the ankles and give more material to play with toward an ankle joint that bends in a useful direction and moving the wheels more to the back ala Animated Swindle to solve two problems in one move.

Hell, even a downsized copy of Alternator Skids (with a better spine system that isn't confusing as hell, but keep the erection gun) in terms of transformation would be more enjoyable.

17. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was a smaller "Space wars" KO Nightscream toy that might be a half decent toy compared the Giant original as if I recall correctly it ditched most or all of the clear plastic and it also was Deluxe size - I've always been rather keen to get one - but It slipped my mind to keep looking for it.

But yeah You can certainly throw some Dirty looks in Beast Machine's Direction
    Supreme Cheetor (and his aversion to standing up)
    Rattrap (for having minimal beat mode articulation and especially poor front legs - and for being to big)
    Dlx Thrust for being a bit vague in his Transformation and for looking not much like Thrust
    Voyager Tankor again for not resembling who he's supposed to.

That said if they'd repainted Thrust & Tankor and given them new names I'd likely have appreciated them more. It's not the moulds I dislike as how they jell with what they are supposed to represent for that reason they certain warrant being "disappointing"

18. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LMAO love the detailed backstory!

19. transmasterc

transmasterc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am going with the D-Pad Soundwave. I got that thing in the mail man the box is about the size of a DVD case.

20. dgold93

dgold93 Rainmaker

Well, either way that thing sucked.