What's the connection between FansProject, Maas Toys, Action Toys, and MakeToys?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cardboard Bots, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Cardboard Bots

Cardboard Bots TFW2005 Supporter

So... what are the connections (if any) between Fans Project, Maas Toys, Action Toys, and MakeToys?

Is Fans Hobby somehow related?

I'm mostly interested in any connections to Action Toys which (seem to me) to be based out of Hong Kong.

2. Spark

Spark General Electric

One or more of FansProject's designers split off to form MakeToys. Action Toys is the legit arm of MakeToys (Ultimetal Megatron being built off CAD from MT Despotron using Despotron's prototype face, for instance). Not sure of anything else.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of them make toys anymore?

• Like Like x 23
  4. Cardboard Bots

That's cool to know. Action Toys does seem to do licensed property.

I also get the feeling that there's some sort of connection between folks from BC, Canada and Hong Kong.

Well some of them don't make toys anymore, but certainly some of them still do even though it may be less frequent.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Long story short?

FansProject came first, then MakeToys. (They're pretty much the same company, but as was said, a designer for FP is behind it. Last I heard, the owner of FP owns both in some form/extent.)

Maas was created by Spence, after stealing money from investors and FP to fund it, and he screwed everyone, basically. The Unrustable Bastards are a casualty of this. (This is the very short version.)

As said, Action Toys is legit.

Fans Hobby is from designers that left MakeToys. It's why they use the same plastics as FP/MT and there's a CHUG aesthetic to their products.

• Like Like x 8
  6. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Action Toys is legit and is probably the only one that isn’t dong anything questionable by law?

I didn’t know Action Toys was that strongly connected to Make Toys.

I thought they just employed toy designers on occasion that also done work for a variety of toy companies.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with 3rd party is they're all interconnected, somehow. Whether it's Keith owning factories and XTransbots, as well as KFC and Alien Attack or FP/MT or their designers bouncing from one company/factory to another, it's a horrible roadmap leading back to a few people.

And then, you have Unique Toys/DX9 where their hired factory ripped them off and all the designers left and the factory will be reissuing their current and past products until the end of time...

• Like Like x 2
  8. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Maas Toys was working with MakeToys to have them produce their figures. But something happened that meant Maas Toys could not pay Make Toys for figures (both produced and upcoming iirc), and a dispute followed that left both companies financially hurt and at bad terms. Maas Toys to the point it could not make anything else, save for a crushed Pipes in a final bid to earn some money. MakeToys faired better, but they already got hurt by Cross Dimension and some ReMaster toys under performing, and now they are relying on repaints to build themselves back up so they can produce more things again.

Also, Cassy Sark is a freelance designer who has worked for the above companies, and also many others. But Maas Toys is where he was the one in charge of the creative side, while someone named Spencer was in charge of business (and is supposedly the one to blame for things going wrong).

No idea what happened with Fans Project and why they faded away.

At least, the above is all I have gleaned from public information over the past few years.

• Like Like x 9
  9. Cardboard Bots

Yeah, I've seen Cassy Sark's designs put out by a bunch of companies. I knew he was involved in Unrustables.

Action toys had seen major delays in a number of it's Machine Robo offerings, despite the designs seeming to have been completed and in the bag for years. Tough Trailer, Buggy Robo, and Blue Jet have all just come out. There is still is no sign of their version of Turbo Robo being in production despite being shown off for years now. Would the 3P side of its predecessor businesses have hurt the ability of Action Toys to put out product? Cash flow issues perhaps?

Do you have any names or pseudonyms of the Fans Hobby designers? A lot of what they do, does look good. I'd like to have the ability to follow designers the way I follow writers or artists. I feel like following designers is a good way to see how 3P producers are connected.

Well, let's leave that UT/DX9 rabbit-hole for a different thread. It's probably too much to get into here. ;) 

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2021
  10. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the most interesting journey of Open&Play. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  11. Spark

Spark General Electric

Presumably, Action Toys and MakeToys use the same factory/factories, so if the Maas Toys boondoggle soured relationships, both companies were affected.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cardboard Bots

I don't know any details of that, but those toys were a breath of fresh air and fun. I'm quite happy with my budget Galvatron.

• Like Like x 1
  13. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is pretty much on point. Maybe add a line about MakeToys being basically done after the Cross Dimension line didn't become as popular as they'd hoped plus the owner shifting his resources elsewhere and leaving the MT brand to stagnate, producing a few low quality repaints over extended timelines and not much else.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel fairly confident (as an outsider with no inside info) that FP was done in by the Dinoking Pretender Shells. $100 for what was essentially a plastic piggy bank with no articulation was asking too much, and you had to buy 6 of them. They were clearanced quickly and I can't imagine that working well for any companies finances. Since then they managed to finish their Snarl who was probably far along already and repaint Dinoking as Monstructor, and I think they might have released one more Steel Core retool.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Spark

Spark General Electric

FansProject still exists basically as a holding company. It released their Causality G2 Menasor via Ages Three & Up last year, so I assume it only "exists" whenever the owner needs to empty a warehouse.

• Like Like x 4
  16. edgecrusher

edgecrusher When yer featherin' it, brother TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's essentially what MT is anymore, too.

• Like Like x 3
  17. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think that's quite true. If they shifted their resources elsewhere, Action Toys wouldn't have fallen quiet for years before only recently putting out another figure and teasing another one. Ultimetal Megatron was also long delayed before finally going up for preorder, though still unreleased. I think the company as a whole is still trying to recover and not doing great, with their MakeToys output being the most consistent because it's just been repaints and remolds.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I laughed harder than I probably should have at this.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Cardboard Bots

I've "felt" a connection between those companies and Ages Three and Up before. I think there's a close relationship there. More than just a retail relationship. I might be wrong though.

20. Spark

Spark General Electric

Action Toys and MakeToys releases actually kind of alternate back and forth most of the time if you're paying attention. Since Action Toys finally seem to be getting their Machine Robo items out the door, I assume a Maketoys release will follow, probably their teased premium Seeker, then back to Action Toys again.

• Like Like x 1