What's the best Movie Optimus Prime figure?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimalPrime007, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AoE Evasion Prime is very nice.

I'll probably get raked over the coals for this, but I never liked RotF Leader Optimus. I don't know that I ever successfully transformed it more than once. It's good looking and well made, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a TF.

My honest preference is for DotM Voyager Optimus. He's exceedingly simple, but he looks cool and can be flipped back in forth from mode to mode easily.

• Like Like x 3
  2. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    That release uses most of the engineering from the Voyager figure, with a few new tricks added in. When I initially got my hand on the Voyager figure, I couldn't believe that they actually pulled it off. I just wish that the figure was the same height of the Leader Class figure.

Officially, I would have to say any of the Leader Class molds. APS-01U would have been perfect, but why no faceplate. It was hard to call that the Ultimate version with all the battle gear and no battle mask.

3. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

The WeiJiang OS Evasion Mode Optimus is the only movie toy worthy of being in my masterpiece collection.

4. Magnahide

Magnahide Maximal Commander

My only actual criticism of him (at least the Hasbro version) would be the gigantic fuel tanks and the stupid "solar panels", but besides that, I think he's great. I actually find him more fun to pose and play around with than Battle Blades Optimus, because even though the latter is pretty accurate and chock full of gimmicks, that comes at the cost of reduced pose-ability and top-heaviness.

As for DOTM Prime, while Hasbro was too busy making repaints no one bought and forgetting who was actually in the movie and what they looked like, Takara gave their market this guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Pick your preferred deco for AoE Voyager Prime. That one.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Any version of rotf leader prime. Always loved that figure. Looks great in both modes and transformation is challenging but not impossible. I have Buster Prime, Hasbro and Hasbro jetwing prime.

7. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Honestly, I have the most casual fun with the first movie voyager, the first movie protoform, and the base robot/truck of DotM Ultimate OP. AoE Platinum Silver Knight OP gets the most ooohs and aaahs on my shelf from other people. That being said, the RotF leader mold is the "objective" best all things considered (especially if you also have leader Jetfire) followed by the AoE Evasion mold.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    Old chinese proverb..... "adding legs when drawing snake"

9. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    MP-10.

Even comes with the matrix that Optimus gives to Ultra Magnus / Hot Rod when he dies in the movie.

:D 

• Like Like x 2
  10. FruitBuyer

FruitBuyer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except your analogy falls on its face because all the parts added make the figure more screen-accurate.

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    AoE Voyager Evasion Mode Prime is the best, hands down, for official releases.

And as stupid as it might sound, I do like the deluxe DotM Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader, no question.

13. PrimalPrime007

PrimalPrime007 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I just ordered the WEIJIANG M01 Commander.

As for the ROTF Prime, there's going to be a 10th anniversary version of that coming out in March right?

• Like Like x 1
  14. jru42287

jru42287 Ass Möde is a way of life.

News Credits:
    I'm actually kind of OK without the collapsible wheels and retracting hands. I think the wheels would've been kind of fiddly and annoying to transform, and the retracting hands wouldn't really serve any purpose, since that's not needed for transformation. I guess you could say it would be more movie-accurate to have the swords out without the hands, but that's picking nit.

Actually, out of anything, I wish they'd found a way to make the blades retractable instead of flipping around. I think that would've improved articulation in some respects.

15. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry for the necro but as the majority consensus seems to be Wei Jiangs OS KO to be the definitive Optimus, what's the best movie Megatron to go with him? Ignoring trying to match up specific movie versions with each other, just the best looking Bayverse style Megs that should scale well with the OS KO? I think both Wei jiang and TF Dream Factory are working on OS Megatrons? (ROTF and DOTM I think) How does each look so far and are there others in that same size range?

16. Dachande

Dachande Formerly Yaujta... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would personally never consider any KO to be a definitive anything, but I digress.
    I throw my vote in for the RotF Voyager. I really like that one a lot, even more than the leader. It's even more fun than the Evasion figure, though that one has a more 'magical' transformation.

For Megatron, of the ones released, I choose the RotF Voyager. I greatly disliked the Leader version, and truly enjoy the Voyagers transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sonic Eclipse

Sonic Eclipse Maximal

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    To this day, RotF Leader Class Optimus Prime, is the only movie figure that I own. He's a pain in the dick to transform, but he looks great in both modes.

18. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks but Voyager simply doesn't cut it for my collection (high grade/high quality/large size Optimus and Megs pairings) As for KO vs 3P vs Official, outside of the MP range, HasTak stuff rarely is anywhere approaching the same level of quality or design. The OS AOE prime is the largest and most detailed transforming version of the movie Optimus on the market. The new MPM figure may approach in terms of detail and build but for the price the KO is a no brainer. For Megs I'm looking at either TF Dream Factory or WeiJiang. Problem is I quite like that TF DF has two versions of Megs in the works. One from 2nd movie, one from 3rd. They both look amazing and are different enough to be distinctive. But if I get both Megs, I then need a 2nd Optimus to balance the numbers. The Leader sized ones are all several inches shorter than either DReam factories or Wei jiangs.
    I think my current plan is:
    Megatron: Both Dream Factory ROTF and DOTM versions
    Optimus: WJ OS Evasion mode. And one of the ROTF Leader moulds, possible with the Jetfire armour/jets expansion stuff to bulk him out and make him balance a bit better with the larger Megs.

Thoughts? suggestions? advice?
    Also, apologies. Only just realised this is in the official side of the forums. Usually spend my time on the wrong side of the tracks. Whoops.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  19. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess too many.

How about per movie?
    Like:
    TFTM - the newly announced MBM-4 OP (Masterpiece Movie OP by HasTak)
    ROTF - Buster LCOP by TakTom
    DOTM - APS-01U (Striker Optimus, due to the Mechanical Abs)
    AOE - well this is hard. since the the LC mold sucks. I guess Evasion OP or the WeiJang version. If you want non-transforming Western Star OP, try the DMK Model Kit.

20. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Since my focus is on fun rather than screen-accuracy ...

TF07 Leader - Awesome transformation, excellent truck mode and a robot mode that looks like G1 Prime cosplaying as his movie counterpart. All of the movie detailing is there, but on a cool G1ish boxy framework. Frankly, I wish the animation model had looked like this toy!

DOTM Ultimate Optimus. Not all that show accurate, but awesomely fun with the huge armor/flight pack. It's like the movie version of God Ginrai ...

Any Voyager Prime apart from Battle Blades - all of the frustration of the ROTF mold, at 2/3 the size! At least the swords can easily be popped off ...

I'd actually rank the ROTF mold as one of the lowest in terms of fun - way too complicated and frustrating to transform, and the arm posability is impeded by the swords. If you want a cool display piece he's great; if you want a Prime to play with you're better off with one of the other versions.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.