What's most important in a game?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Soundpulse, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

For me it is definently story and character development for me.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Gameplay.

3. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gameplay > variety > story

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Gameplay above literally everything else. Then I'd say story, then music, then way at the bottom would be graphics.

5. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much the same for me.

But when it's a fighting game it goes:
    gameplay > Sound effects > Music > Graphics

I learned that the sound effects in a fighting game are very important to me. I want to hear the impact!

That being said, story and characters are important to me in RPGs but gameplay still comes first. I only managed to finish Mimana Iyar Chronicle because I really liked the characters. That game is far too easy and doesn't flow as well as the Tales games in terms of combat.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The game needs to have a good feel. If the controls are shit, the camera or graphics are shit and I can't tell what's going on, or everything is too slow and clunky, I won't play.

Also good replay value. It's depressing to buy a $60 game for only a few hours of entertainment. The best games are the ones I still play 1-2 years after I get the game.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is how it should be.

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the...

oh wait, that's what is best in life.

As far as games - gameplay and replay value. I've had games like Freedom Force and Neverwinter Nights on a long succession of PC's and laptops for over ten years - because of those two factors. Freedom Force maybe not so much anymore, but every now and then it's fun to boot up and take on the Avengers or X-Men with the Justice League or Teen Titans.

Hell, I've even gone back and bought games I enjoyed back in the '90s off GOG just because the gameplay was so addictive. Master of Orion? Hell yes. Master of Magic? Yep. Wing Commander: Privateer? You betcha. Graphics are dated as hell by today's standards, most of them being 2D sprites. But still - they're as much fun to play today as they were almost 20 years ago!

9. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Gameplay and a unique experience. This is why I don't play a lot of fps. There not many unique fps games. Only boarderlands is a cool fps.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Story is my absolute number 1 top item of importance. I can forgive mediocre gameplay if the story is amazing.

Gameplay is second. I don't care how cool X is, if it doesn't serve the story or the gameplay, cut it.

Customization is my #3. I will always fall in love more with a game if I can make my own character.

For example, Mass Effect has fantastic story, decent game play, and a decent character creator. The result is one of my favorite games of this generation. Dragonball Ultimate Tenkaichi on the other side was awful story, awful game play, and decent character creator. The result is a game that I really wanted to love but absolutely cannot stand.

11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

gameplay.

12. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    The name of the characters.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a tie between gameplay and story. Then music/sound effects. Graphics are the thing I care about least.

14. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

That I have fun playing it & want to continue.

15. TFfanatic88

TFfanatic88 Banned

Gameplay, replay value, art style, controls, music

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The most important thing is that you're enjoying yourself. It doesn't matter if it's for precise controls, good story, nice music, building up your stats, beating a challenge or whatever, just as long as it's fun.

17. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Story first and foremost. Gameplay doesn't matter much if the story is absolute garbage. Gameplay would be a close second. Games are expensive enough and it's rather annoying to get a game with a great story, but incredibly and obviously repetitious gameplay. I love my FPS because they are quite good at letting off some steam, but some are just far more reptitious than others.

Music and sounds would be next or maybe tied with gameplay. Hard to say because it depends on the game genre. Horror oy I never liked playing them, but watching walkthroughs I've been scared out of my mind just by the music and nothings happened yet.

Graphics while it's nice to have them crisp clear models it's not the highest priority. I love playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Call of Duty 2: Big Red One and neither has the best graphics.

18. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Gameplay > Characters/Story (need the two to work together) > Multiplayer > Graphics

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Without good gameplay, a game cannot be fun to play, and that's the entire reason for playing games, so that always comes first.

Next I would place the uniqueness of said gameplay - what makes the game unique from another title I might have on my shelf. Because good, solid gameplay is the most important thing, but a unique experience is the next thing.

After that the characters, and then the story. Because good, well-written characters can realise an average story, but the best story in the world can be ruined by bland or unlikeable characters.

Then after that the graphics and the other stuff.

My personal feeling is I want to play a game and be entertained, and I enjoy a good story. So those come first. I've played NES games like the original Final Fantasy, Zelda and Dragon Quest and loved them all for what they are, so I am absolutely not picky about visuals or audio, so long as it is all comprehensible.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

You hit the nail on the head.