Whats better: Prime VS RID15

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Hotshotprime43, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Prime or RID

1. Prime (2010-2013)

126 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. RID (2015-2017)

23 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I chose prime for the fact that it got me back into the franchise. RiD isn’t the worst thing ever, but it had repetitive plot points like Pokémon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I don't recall if I've shared my thoughts in here yet.

Both shows have pros and cons. I think in its entirety that RID is more successful at what it set out to do than Prime is.

Prime is not bad by any means, but it's a lot like the "Walking Dead" of the franchise. Complete with a strong zombie themed opening that trudges along with pretty much everyone being miserable all the time. If it wasn't for the lively Decepticons I don't know if I'd have enjoyed the series all that much with the Autobots how they were. They just kept piling on the "grim" but also never really raised the stakes that high. You know, like the walking dead after the Governor up until Negan showed. I still really love Prime but it's flaws as the series continues become more and more noticeable, and Optimus is made of wood or something.

RID has much lower aspirations from the start. It's almost a return to form for the franchise, most akin to G1 in spirit. We have an "everyman" human and his handy father assisting the Autobots ala the Witwicky clan, and a much more breathable and fun atmosphere than Prime. The world is a lot more populated. Although it is neurotically formulaic, we got a lot of great Autobots and Decepticons on screen throughout the shows run. Plus Optimus Prime in this show is one of my favorite takes on the guy. He's actually relatable and not infallible, and sometimes he even smiles! They took the G1 "cool dad" and made it into a "cool grandad" which is a solid move imo.

So all things weighed, RID is a better TV show. Anyone who says Prime is better only says so because they're looking on the surface. Prime = mature, gritty reboot. RID = formulaic brainless kids show. But beneath the surface there's more than meets the eye.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Also Steeljaw. Steeljaw is one of the greatest things to happen to the franchise. Steeljaw will hopefully enjoy new avenues of life the same way Sky-Byte has.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I’d be okay with RiD..... If I didn’t hate it.

5. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

Prime for me. But RID was fun.

6. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

Atleast prime had a story with character development. RID is just a monster of the week show.

7. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

RID.

I honestly found Prime to be rather boring. I couldn't get invested in the cast, I disliked the humans and whenever the show brought up an intriguing premise, it felt like it failed to take advantage of it and do something interesting with it.

For example, when Prime lost his memories and reverted back to Orion Pax, I expected the show to take advantage of his personal history with Megatron like by the two sharing dialogue about their past but nothing really happened. It would have been a good opportunity to delve into both characters through their interactions.

It was the same kind of thing that happened to certain villains like Makeshift. A shapeshifting Decepticon? Oh, that sounds like something you could do a lot of interesting things wit- oh, he's dead in his first episode.

Prime felt like it was overly ambitious and promised more than it could deliver on and while RID wasn't anything special, it felt like it knew what it wanted to be and what it wanted to be was a fun little show.

8. maurice

maurice Well-Known Member

Makeshift could have survived that, hope to see him more in new shows :) 

9. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I was thinking about this the other day, and honestly...I think RID is technically a stronger show than Prime.

Prime was sort of a jumble of G1 and movieverse stuff that honestly kind of lacked an overall premise. A unique premise was replaced by the 'catch' which was the (sort of) dark tone and the 3D animation. Prime also had identity problems. Is Prime a dark, violent show for older fans or is it about funny adventures with human kids? It's kind of a mixmatch of both, depending on the individual episode. Not to mention all the behind-the-scenes drama that caused the third season to completely change course.

RID, despite being more kid-oriented, knew what it was and owned it. RID had a distinct premise and goals. The premise was the Autobots recapturing Decepticons from the prison ship crash. There was a clear goal to continue Bumblebee's character arc from Prime. The tone of the show was consistent with itself, and it never felt like a weird mixmatch of several conflicting ideas.

I'm not necessarily saying RID is more enjoyable than Prime, but I'd argue it's probably the technically better show.