whats a good marvel book to read?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

616 stuff:
    Cable and Deadpool
    Marvel Team-Up if you like guest and cameo appearances

Ultimate:
    Ultimates
    Spiderman
    X-Men
    Ironman

Very. Better continuity, more badassery ex. spiderman says some of the most hilariously mean spirted things to the kingpin, Cap slaps Banner up, better crossovers not to mention magneto's kids and the fenris twins add up to lots more incest...

:lol 

2. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

In the case of the Ultimates, its great writing combined with an awesome sense of realism and well paced action. Opening the series up with cap in WW2 was perfect, and how the fight was carried out with Hitch's awesome artwork. Personally the other ultimate titles have kind grown stale to me (other than F4 which has been improving as of late), but Ultimates has been consistently outstanding. The fights are so much more hard hitting, and the hulk is just a force of nature. I cant really think of any better book that I have read.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    she-hulk is...o-kay. but yeah, the script's very snappy. funny w/o the over-the-top-ness of say demateiss et al.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers Young Avengers !

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    ohyeah, i forgot im reading astonishing xmen...seems like ive been waiting for issue 13 forever though......and i used to read cable deadpool, but i stopped collection comics awhile ago, so ive only got the first 8 issues, are the otheres released in a trade yet? and i kinda dont like the art of the ultimate stuff, it looks weird to me, but maybe ill pick it up....

my list of what i read regularly is batman, astonishing xmen, daredevil, the flash, the walking dead, and invincible....and then i pick up some side series, got the daredevil vs punisher, hulk abomination one, batman and robin, infinite crisis, and punisher vs bullseye

6. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    mostly just solid writing, characterization and Art on Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four - I'm not crazy about how mean spirited, nasty, cynical and anti-American Millars writing is on The Ultimates (which are VERY different from the 616 Avengers) or how much of Brian K. Vaugan's personal agendas come through in Ultimate X-men (your milage may very) but the Ultimate Galactus build up has been sweet in Ultimate Nightmare and Ultimate Secret, and Ultimate Wolverine -vs- The Hulk looks like it'll be very, very good.

7. TenScaryMonkeys

TenScaryMonkeys Can You Believe How Great These Pants Look?

If you're a DC guy, I'd recommend Powers (if that counts - Marvel prints it, at least), Runaways, and the Supreme Power titles. Good stuff.

If you can stand any "Ultimate" titles, Ultimates is the way to go. You'd complained about the art on most of the "Ultimate" line, but Hitch's art is fairly atypical of the line as a whole. Oh, and the Warren Ellis-scribed "Gah-Lak-Tus" trilogy.