What would you want from a 3rd Party Siege Magnus gun?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by RodimusRex, May 26, 2019.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I’ve started work on a Shapeways Siege Magnus gun. I have Dr. Wu’s gapfiller and some leg extensions ordered and decided that, with those in place, a hollow gun didn’t satisfy me anymore.

So far, I’m using MP Magnus’ gun as a model, adjusted to the proportions of the stock Siege gun.

No point in doing the G1 toy gun as it’s readily available on eBay and there’s a great Shapeways replica.

I’m looking at adding details inspired by the Imaginarium, Ultimetal, and/or Combiner Wars as the fancy strikes me since Siege is kind of like mini-Masterpiece, plus details that seem to be inspired by Imaginarium and Palisades.

Any features you love?

2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

A smaller MP magnus gun would work. I'd also like to see a new armored mode head for him, something about the face doesn't quite do it for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RodimusRex

I think it’s the lack of visor mainly.

• Like Like x 2
  4. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me, a mini-MP22 gun style will always be the preferred gun when it comes to G1 UM/Siege UM robot. Depending on the gun size and length, I'm thinking of giving MF UM 2.0 mini-MP22 gun to Siege UM once he's out. My next UM favorite gun is the Ultimetal/Papa Toy/THF UM. That's gun is one BFG, lol. Siege UM leg black guns look good too when place in each hand. Unfortunately, the hollow space just kills it for me. Although Siege UM silver main gun is hollow all around as well but it was cleverly designed to looks details so it gets a pass, lol.

5. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

Criteria are simple;

- Not hollow
    - Matches seige aesthetic
    - Make it impressive

Use artistic licence if you have too also, no need to be slavishly accurate to x/y/z. Or even adapt a concept to his weapon, instead of a huge Blaster make it some kind of linear rifle with a Magnus bent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RodimusRex

I’m making decent progress. So far it’s a G1 cartoon/MP clone. The barrel is just a 3mm port but I’m looking at places a 5mm port can go without disrupting the design.

Looking at a lot of concept art as inspiration for extra detail. I may offer two versions. I feel like Siege starts with animation accuracy.

I can see some ways to integrate in the hammer so it can combine with the gun. The way I’m seeing it, it’s a short hammer or gavel that can combine with the gun for a longer hammer.

No clue on price til I get further along. I’m very aware that with any 3D printed pieces, you could often get a full bulk produced 3rd party figure and raid it for accessories at the same price (or less) by the time you factor for shipping. So I’m focusing on trying to make it good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

That and the mouth being kinda poorly defined, silver tends to wash out details.

8. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

If I may advise, don't do a hammer gimmick. Where a lot of weapon projects go wrong is when they multi task. The X2 Magnus gun is a good example of this, its only just "fine" as a gun but looks retarded as a hammer sadly. Your best bet is going hard on the gun and making a hammer a second seperate project if that makes sense as doing both will even out at "just OK" instead of what could be a "holy shit I love it".

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!

Ebay:
    One that fits in his hands

10. RodimusRex

Point well taken on gimmicks.

So here's the work in progress. I've got some detailing yet to go.
    [​IMG]

The backend looks light and I'm looking at some of the beefiness of the Diamond Select Ultra Magnus bust, which has both a male and female 5mm port on the backside as part of its design.

[​IMG]

I'm probably going to decorate the 5mm ports so they don't look like holes or pegs on a toy. The upper one could get the zigzagging effect seen on this bust. The handle will probably get some grip detail added to it.

The big differences so far between this and the MP are:

5mm peg compatibility.

Missing a few details. (Buttons, vents, etc. In part because I might want to base those on other versions.)

Center "box" unit reworked as a hexagon like some statues instead of a flat square.

Beefier "treads" on the borrom side of the rifle itself to better match the Siege figure aesthetic.

I want to go beyond the detailing found on the MP if I can without getting TOO lost in detail that may not be that visible anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Conran

Conran Well-Known Member

It looks nice, it's definitely a good avenue to put elements to work for you by shifting previous utility points to aesthetic and giving matching linework like the siege line has.

Siege Magnus is a fairly, I guess you could say, stout figure with his silhouette so to counteract this you could do a possible contrast by extending either the barrel or the shoulder rest also in theory to offset it (I would favour shoulder rest personally as some guns have that weird look where it boggles the mind why most of it is in the barrel and not the mechanism). For example the mp22 gun is nice *but* it is a little stumpy compared to the upgrade kit or that resin statue which you rightly mention with its entire profile being front focused while also squat.

12. RodimusRex

So it’s probably not clear without a comparison photo (you’d need to compare the handles) but this gun is currently designed from barrel to butt to have the same approximate height and length as his included silver gun minus the arm rest.

I’m thinking if I give it the “rear exhaust” male and female back plugs that the DST bust has, I can make the arm rest a 5mm plug add on, offered separately. Added benefit being rotation which the stock model included with the figure lacks. Thinking about a spare weapons clip as a 5mm port on the treaded section underneath.

But a 5mm port built into the back as kind of a “charging plug port” that doubles as an arm rest port and one on the bottom — maybe again with the paneling to make it look like a natural docking port — probably would involve fewer compromises than a hammer gimmick. I think the trick is having them look functional.