What would you do to help the Transformers Toyline?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Negativedark, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Okay, so the 3rd Quarter finacial report thread got me thinking. As a fan, what do you think Hasbro should do to help the sales for the Transformers toyline?

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Less bee for better distribution for one. My area almost every brick and mortar has tons of RID Bee so nothing is coming in and the bees are not moving.

Overhaul the Prime toy line to get rid of lame gimmicks and make the figures better.

3. Negativedark

Okay, I'm reposting what I put over in the other thread.

I can't belive that the Bumblebee Glut isn't hurting sales at least a little. I go into Target or Wal-Mart, you know what I see? The deluxe pegs are full, alright and it's almost nothing but Bumblebee's. Then some Cliffjumpers, a Hotshot, and a Knockout. I think that most parents look at Prime Bumblebee, and see the same yellow car they already bought their kids. He just looks too damn similer to movie Bee. And honestly, I think they've done too many sport's cars the last few years. It's always the oddball altmodes that seem to move for the deluxes.

Okay, had to go do something, but back. This is going to basicly continue my above post.

There are two things I think the toyline, just as toys needs. Variety and Interactivety. Right now their is very little variety in terms of what the alt modes are. Seems like everyone is a sports car, jet, or Optimus. We need more variety for alt modes. Lets see some construction vehicles, and Military alt modes. Right now if you just glance on the pegs, everything is too similer. It's basicly Yellow car, blue car, red car, red car. Do you realize how close you have to actually get to see that Cliffjumper and Knockout are actually not the same toy? And Bee and Prime are still changing in to the same thing they have since the first movie. When I saw the beast hunters Bumblebee listed, I hoped they'd actually make him different, like give him a bee beast mode. Because right now, you stick any of the movie bee's in alt mode next to Prime Bee, and tell me they don't look the same. Make it so the parents don't feel like it's the same toy the kid already has.

Now Interactivety. This is making it so that having one toy makes it so you want more, in order to make the toy more fun. Combiner teams are one way of doing this. Hasbro's handeling of the combiners always makes me wonder what is wrong with them. Okay Hasbro, so you don't want an entire wave to be nothing but the members of a combiner group? Why not. The kids will now want the whole wave in order to have the big form. Or get rid of the leader class, and make it a gift set for the Combiner team. It's six toys in one, a great value! Just have it prominently featured in the show. Or, make the limbs interchangable, and have that in the show, rather than designated teams. Or make them 3, or 4 part teams.

And it doesn't have to be combiners. Armada had some really bad toys, but you know what? The ability to give them minicons, as many as you could figure out how to peg on, was fun. Probably why Takara brought them back. I pulled out my RID Ultra Magnus the other day, and you know what? In addition to combining with prime, he could carry the cars in vehicle mode. So if a kid had the cars, they'd want Magnus, and if they had the cars, they'd want Magnus. And then their is the letdown from the Cyberverse line. Optimus Maximus. Sigh. A perfect oppourtunity for a base bot, and THIS is the best you can do? Lets see, he needs an optimus figure that isn't included to fill the hole in his chest, and his alt mode is he sits down. I hope somebody was fired. Hey, make him turn into something that would be cool to interact with. A armored troop carrier, or a starship, or an aircraft carrier. You know something that people would want to buy.

4. Negativedark

Okay, weird, got a double post.

Another thing. G1's day in the limelight episodes really helped sell the individual charecters, and teams. The God Gambit Alone made my brother want Astrotrain more than anything that year.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    First of all, one Bumblebee per case and one wave only. Same goes with show characters, no multi size versions, no relaunch in future waves, none of that. Unless they change in the tv series, once they are off the pegs, that's it.

Second, expand the line. I remember back with BW/BM and the UT lines, there were the show characters and a greater amount of non show characters. We need that again, we need characters to help bring some flavor back to the pegs. Like with TFP, would of been nice to have more non show characters on the toy side. I remember being a kid with Beast Wars, I loved the non show characters more.

Finally, a reward system for buyers. Each figure will have a online code, that is different from each other. Get five codes and win a free small figure. Get ten codes and win a poster. Get fifteen codes and win a t-shirt. Get twenty and win a autograph character picture from a voice actor.

6. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I would trim the excess in the Transformers brand. No more cyberverse, no more bot shots, no more legends, and all the other younger demographic toys. Bring Transformers back to ONE toyline, like G1 through Beast Machines.

Each Wave of figures has an equal case packout of all characters, and each wave has entirely different characters.

That's what I would do at least.

7. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    If you mean the weaponizers, I agree. But I want Cyberverse to stay.

Now THAT is a good idea.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    With the way things are now, I think CV would have to remain for the parents that are tight on money. I know some can't buy too many big figures of show characters. But when we do get a true recovery, I rather see the CV become more like a high tech Minicon line. Like with Cybertron Jolt, it would of been cool to see the figure updated as a CV commander figure or Armada Sonar for example.

9. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I'd toss out everything that's proven successful and and replace it with horrible, ill-thought-out actions that would certainly lose the company even more money.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    like they did already? lol

on topic, bring back quality plastic, parents aren't going to put up with little jimmy's new toy being cracked or broken in the first day or so for long. less hollow, more 2009 figures, raise the price slightly to accommodate increase in quality if need be

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Better case ratios. I like that Hasbro is setting up the waves and revisions to keep the show characters always available so that if, for example, a kid misses Wave 1 it doesn't mean they can never get Soundwave. But BB and Optimus are getting too many case slots. Keep the show characters in steady rotation, but leave room for new characters as well.

- Timing the releases to better fit with the associated media. The Prime line should have been out, in some capacity, when the cartoon started. Or the cartoon should have been delayed, or something. I realize some of this in the retailers' hands, but surely efforts could be made to line the releases up better. I'd also like to see them get individual figures to line up better with the media. For instance, what were the big selling points that kept getting brought up for the FoC game? Grimlock and Bruticus. But if someone plays the game and thinks "holy crap, Grimlock/Bruticus was/were awesome", there was no corresponding toy on the shelves for them to buy, because Bruticus didn't come out for a couple of months and Grimlock isn't due out until next year. The Grimlock and Bruticus figures should have been available at the time of the game's release. In the case of Prime, for example, Smokescreen just recently showed up as an important character on the show. No toy available or planned for the near future.

- On the topic of FoC, how come the figures don't have a code or something that people could use to get a demo of the game or some DLC or something? Cross-promotion.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  12. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I have an idea - what about customizable transformers? Swappable wheels, wings, smokestacks, heads, etc?

13. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    better case assortments.

i don't get the whole "less size classes for multiple characters" thing. a lot of people like the variety it brings.

14. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Actually put the toys on the shelf to be sold?

TFP VEHICON. 'Nuff said.

Throw in glow-in-the-dark parts, and I'll buy every last one of 'em.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I would do an investigation to determine a cost-benefit analysis, capital available deficit, and payback period with regards to a shifted manufacturing operation, most likely to vietnam or malaysia. Such an analysis would have to take into account cost mitigation through current asset transference, most likely efficiency savings through economically viable manufacturing technology investments and sustainability initiatives (and their associated technical and financial depreciation), potential labor negotiations and associated timelines, and changes to logistical networking.

16. Ice1991

Ice1991 X-Combaticon

Stop mass producing Bumble bee.
    Remove the DOTM line from store shelves.
    Have Prime and Generations be the only lines.

Honestly, Hasbro has been shooting themselves in the foot with the toys ever since the bay movies. Just way too many different lines that could easily be killed off (cyberverse, Botshots, Legends and other awful spin off lines) And start putting there effort into producing the lines that people really care about. (Well I can't speak for everyone I know :)  )

But that's my two cents. Keep prime because the show is on and give us classics for the audience that doesn't just watch the prime show.

17. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Make sure the toy gimmicks work and aren't totally shit and only improve figures rather than hamper them.

Mechtech and Powerizers, lookin' at you guys.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Here's a radical notion, you know how stores always over-order the first case assortment and then blame lack of sales on that stupid policy. Yet they constantly seem to keep doing it for every damn toyline under the sun (Star Wars, G.I.Joe, Bakugan, TMNT, Etc.). Well why not make all case assortments number one.

Now bear with me here, let me try and explain this right.

First of all, each wave of figures should be included in a Case Assortment, that's a given. However, instead of sticking them all in numbered waves they should more evenly distribute the product so that the stores don't just order Case Assortment One and then slightly revised Assortment Two get's the shaft in favor of Three, while Four and Five trickle in, in such small amounts that they sometimes become impossible to find.

Instead, distribut to each store a list. Case Assortment One-A to Case Assortment One-D.

Fill each case assortment similar to how it is done now, only with a few less Bumblebees.

As an example we'll go for something like this:

Case Assortment One-A:
    1 x Vehicon
    2 x Bumblebee
    2 x Wheeljack
    2 x Cliffjumper
    1 x Arcee (It's typically eight to a case right?)

Case Assortment One-B:
    2 x Vehicon
    2 x Soundwave
    2 x Hot Shot
    2 x Autobot Ratchet

Case Assortment One-C:
    2 x Dead End
    2 x Airachnid
    2 x Arcee
    2 x Knock Out

Case Assortment One-D:
    1 x Bumblebee
    2 x Decepticon Rumble
    2 x Sergeant Kup
    2 x Vehicon
    1 x Autobot Ratchet

See! If it works for Comic Book companies always bringing out new number ones, then why not toylines too? Give the retailers an incentive for ordering an even number of cases, say for example, discounted pricing or something less economically suicidal. (I'm not an expert in the field of retailer incentives.)

In this way the stock would constantly be rotating and constantly be new, you wouldn't have too many characters shelfwarming so much, you could evenly distribute the troop builder so fans would be happy and on top of that, even if one or another of the figures tended to hang around a bit longer they wouldn't pile up too much because aside from Vehicons, Bumblebee and one or two others there's only two to a case. Even if a store got 50 cases of an order from the distributor eventually they'd still be able to sell out.

It could even work out quite nicely, they order Case Assortment One-A to One-D for TF Prime and everyone get's the entire line eventually, rinse and repeat every year with each new sub-branding and sub-line like Generations, toss in a few older products in newer packaging ala Unicron Battles or whatever the Sub-Branding was called during the Energon days and BAM, much better distribution, much better saturation of figures and much more happier consumers.

19. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Make them fun to transform again by reducing articulation and kibble. Include stickers for customizing.

20. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Stop on red but leave on amber Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    this. i'd also keep everything in scale (no more goddamn super-ultra-mega-giga-supreme-oversized-bumblebees that are taller than Fort Max). if they're shorter than Megatron, they're scout or CV. if they're slightly shorter/taller, they're deluxe. if they're noticeably taller, they're voyager. if it's a city-former, they get Primus's size. as for leader class, only important character such as Optimus, Megsy, and a few other higher ranking characters get to be LC. bumblebee is not one of the higher-ups in any sense of the word. therefore he shall be scaled as such. i would also pump out more MPs, Trailbreakers, Sixshots, and any other old and "forgotten by Hasbro" characters. and lastly, i'd distribute everything correctly. no longer will collectors swim in bees. Vehicons for all!

oh and my one dick move would be to separate all MP combiner components as store exclusives for different stores. or at least if i were to make an MP Devy :ev: