What Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by alex1984, Oct 27, 2016.

1. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

So, in typical noob fashion, I'm starting a thread about an upcoming purchase decision!

I'm currently debating between a number of items:
    - Perfect Effect Bruticus and Computron Upgrade kits
    - MMC Mirage (Alternate version)
    - last but not least, MMC Overlord

I'm pondering this because I have a 10% coupon from A3U that expires at the end of the month. I've just had to renew my car insurance this month, so things are a bit tighter.

With the PE kits, they're harder to get and there's not a lot of them in circulation locally. Surprisingly, I've come to really appreciate the Combiner Wars line and currently have most of the traditional G1 combiners in the line (Superion, Devy, Menasor, Computron, Defensor) and I've almost completed Bruticus. So getting these upgrade kits would allow me to finish with that line.

With MMC Mirage, I actually like the Alternate colour, and I missed out on it the first time around by sitting on my hands for too long. I like the look, but my main reservation is that these popular Autobots (Mirage, Jazz, and Hound) are all but guaranteed to be made by Takara somewhere down the road.

Lastly, the MMC Overlord is new and exciting. I dig the design, but I don't have a lot of other Reformatted figures to go with it, so it's not a top priority like my MP collection. I feel I may be able to get my hands on one in the secondary market for a better price if I waited.

So, given these considerations, how would you guys choose?

2. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Which do you think will become unavailable first?

3. jdbrewer

jdbrewer Well-Known Member

I can tell you Sphinx is a very good Figure. Don't know about Overlord, or anything regarding PE.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Never bothered with combiner upgrade kits. Sold off most of my car bots including my mirage. Over here like this waiting for Carnifex :drool: 

5. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

I would avoid MP if money is tight and you want to collect a lot of figures fast. Just my thoughts

6. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

News Credits:
    Carnifex is my favorite of those, though I already have a bunch of Last Stand bots to go along with.

For the PE kits if you just want the hands and feet you can go the KO route and save some money.

Sphinx is great for an MP display.

• Like Like x 1
  7. alex1984

In terms of availability, I think the PE kits will be gone first, at least locally.

Thanks! Looks that way, too.

My carbots are here to stay, though. I like the varying sizes of my MP collection. Leaders, Warriors, Scouts, etc. It's almost like a dream come true ever since the G1 days.

Actually, for me, it's just the opposite. I was finding that my collection is growing too big too quickly when I first started, with a fast rotation rate. That was when I made a conscious decision to focus my collection. My current collection consists of: 1. MPs, 2. 3P Combiners (TFC and FP/MT scaled ones), 3. WFC/FoC figures, 4. stand-alone official/3P CHUG/IDW figures, 5. Combiner Wars combiners. I was not expecting to like CW combiners as much as I do, as they looked horrible in the initial promotional pictures. However, I was surprised that they polish up so nicely with the upgrade sets, there's a certain elegance in the simplicity of their design, and they're genuinely fun to play with.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

If money is tight, then Carnifex should be immediately dismissed. Necessities should come first. The question about Sphinx is whether the MP scale is a priority at the moment or if you are worried about missing it. I personally think it is more likely that the upgrade kits are more likely to disappear as the line is effectively over. Most MP figures stay in production or get rereleases.I would personally recommend getting the upgrade kits.

9. kmopotato

kmopotato spends too much on this shit

That mirage is the best one. I've heard it was a great sculpt, and the transformation is cool as shit. The vibrant blue on it is badass too.

The PE parts are decent looking, but I've got 3 different sets with locking issues. No finger splaying either, so it's pretty bland.

Haven't heard much about overlord, so I'd wait for reviews and issues.

10. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I still have my sun surge, sideswipe, road rage, insecticons, and visualizers so I got enough size difference. Found myself buying every d lister so I had to purge

11. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    Well, I would suggest if you plan on trying for all of them go with what you think will be the first gone for good. That's how I prioritize decisions when all other things being equal.

12. alex1984

With PE's, I'm ultimately looking to get Bruticus Hands + Feet and Computron Chest + Weapon, and maybe the Optimus Hands + Feet + Waist. However, the latter is sold out, and I fear the other sets might follow.

It's tight to the point that buying all of them would not be possible, but not so tight that I can't swing Carnifex.

With my usual shopping habit, I'd like to get the big ticket items out of the way first, because it's easier to save up for small items. However, in this case, availability is also a factor, hence why I'm wondering how people would prioritize.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  13. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Firstly, even if Takara DOES Mirage, Hound, etc .. how do you know they'll be any good?

Their Tracks and Hot Rod are a joke. Their upcoming Meg's looks .. okay. Apollyon looks 100% more intimidating. No doubt the feel, transformation and playability will be better on Takara's though.

What does your collection mainly consist of? Seems like a mish-mash of stuff. Do you keep separate collections, or do you display everything together?

14. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

Overlord is on another level, even when compared to the very nice Mirage. Go Carnifex. Get Mirage next.

Hell, Carnifex can fit in with MP since it's that nice.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  15. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Was thinking about Commotus, but it looks like I missed him... oh well.

16. alex1984

I keep them separate. 3P Combiners + MPs in one Detolf, TFC combiners in one area, WFC/FOC in one area, CW combiners in one area, and stand-alone CHUG/IDW by themselves.

Oh, and of course, MP Dinos.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Hmm. Seems like you're interests are pretty varied (that's a good thing though!)

So it's hard to give you an honest opinion without (me) sounding biased towards something (I don't like CW or the CW combiners).

Honestly though, MMC Overlord has been an outstanding success so far. Everyone who has him, loves him. There is even a picture of Nick Roche messing around with it (!!!!).

If I were to recommend anything, it'd be that.

18. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

While Sphinx is a very good Mirage, I think you'd get more for your money getting the upgrades. I collect mostly MP but when I go outside of that, it's for the G1 CW/UW combiners (just because I don't want to pay MP prices for a whole set and I don't love the characters THAT much). The PE sets bring ALOT to the table and take the CW/UW sets from good to damn good. Avoid the Devastator ones though (Assuming you even have that set) as really only the cab for Mixmaster really is worth it. For Superion, Bruticus or Menasor and the like, the hands and feet and other additional ones take the sets to another level.

Also given your situation, I think you'll have a lot more luck later finding a Sphinx (the first run ran out quick but now they're everywhere) vs. the PE kits for your sets.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  19. Jeriboy54

Jeriboy54 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd go with MMC Mirage, then Carnifex and finally the upgrade kit. Mirage will probably be the hardest to find

• Like Like x 1
  20. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Definitely go with Mirage. It's one of my favorite Transformers in my collection