What would be YOUR definitive take on the Dinobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shady boi, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Yes.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

First off, increase their numbers. On top of the usual five, bring in Slash, Skar, and Paddles (who I would rename Splash for the sake of consistency in naming). Slash and Splash keep their dinosaur forms (Velociraptor and Plesiosaur, respectively), Skar (who I don't believe ever got one since he was a hi-then-die character) gets an Ankylosaurus beast form.

The Dynabots (Like Dynamo or Dynamic) have existed since ancient times on Cybertron, think Galvatron, Arcee, and Cyclonus in IDW2005. Their slow, struggling speech is because their voice modules are so old that they can't cope with the increased number of dialects and languages being asked of them, so their bodies take shortcuts to get thoughts out quickly (I like to imagine Cybertronians have voice modules capable of recognizing the majority of spoken languages throughout the galaxy as catalogued by a Galactic Council and switching on the fly). Sludge and Splash are really dumb, and the Dynabots in general aren't the brightest knives in the shed, but that's beside the point. They were well-known as some of the most fearsome warriors on the planet, and as a result, were given a wide berth by anyone without a deathwish. And those that didn't were usually intending to make a name for themselves and attacked, resulting in the Dynabots being very distrustful of any outsiders.

As the millennia drug on, however, the Dynabots eventually found their calling in the gladiatorial arenas, and honed their skills to become even more fearsome. At least until Functionism saw a rise in the political atmosphere, and a few Functionists decided that they weren't conforming to the Grand Cybertronian Taxonomy. As such, their matches were "fixed" and pitted the Dynabots against bots far bigger and scarier than them. When the Dynabots succeeded against the odds, they found the 'bots responsible and did what they do best. Following this brazen assault on Functionist ideals (and the fact that the Dynabots were too dangerous to be kept on the planet, but too popular to simply execute), they were summarily exiled from Cybertron, placed in stasis pods, and forcibly moved off world, where their ship crashed on a desolate little planet that would come to be known as Earth, about 3 million years before the Nemesis and the Ark would crash-land themselves. The Dynabots took on new Dinosaur alternate modes from fossils scanned from deep within the earth, rechristened themselves as the Dinobots, and struck out. But with no Energon supplies to keep themselves going and no ways of reducing their energy needs, the group eventually entered into a deep slumber in what would eventually becomes Oregon. After detecting latent energy signatures, the Autobots ventured out and re-discovered the Dinobots, bringing them into the Ark for repairs and bringing them out of their slumber. Begrudgingly thankful and mildly pitiful of these inferior data clerks, dock workers, and blue-coller workers, the Dinobots aligned themselves with the Autobot cause, but would very openly and very often make clear their disdain for their fellows, and would even challenge Prime for the title of Autobot Commander occasionally. But as the years went on, the Dinobots would come to form a sort of core in the Autobots, the most dependable group of warriors on their side, even if they had a bit of a mean streak.

As for who they are as characters:

Grimlock: Leader of the Dinobots, he once believed the strong should rule and the weak be subservient. While working with the Autobots and fighting against the Decepticons have led him into a a new appreciation for the "common man," he still believes that it is the duty of the strong to lead, which often puts him in conflict with Optimus Prime as the two butt heads for leadership. At the end of the day, though, Grimlock has a large amount of respect for Prime and would follow him anywhere. Fights with his thermo-blade.

Slag: Slag is a foul-mouthed, ill-tempered beast of a warrior, and for Dinobot standards, that's saying something. While he is smarter than some of his compatriots, his unwillingness to accept things not going his way, coupled with frustration at losing it all on Cybertron, has led to Slag utterly and recklessly throwing himself into battle to let a bit of it out. If he's not returning to base with a hundred dents in his armor, a horn missing, and an arm hanging on by a few wires, he's not satisfied and will go right back onto the field looking for a fight. Fights with a pair of thermo-axes.

Swoop: Very much the peacemaker among the Dinobots, Swoop is the typical mouthpiece for the Dinobots when it comes to their demands and paving things over between the two groups. Far more amicable than any of his fellows, Swoop is well-liked among the Autobots. In battle, due to his more delicate nature by way of transforming into a Pteranodon, he most often performs bombing runs and provides covering fire from far off. But when it's necessitated, he can fight hand-to-hand with a pair of rapiers.

Splash: Splash has a lot of pent-up anger. Her aquatic alternate mode means she rarely gets to go on missions with her fellow Dinobots, and feels overall underappreciated among the Autobots because of it. Couple that with being one of the duller Dinobots and feeling incapable of truly relating with the much younger and much smaller Autobots she fights alongside, and you've got a 'bot with a bit of an inferiority complex. As a result, she's always eager to participate in ground battles to "prove" herself by cracking some heads. Fights with a large spiked mace.

Snarl: Snarl just isn't happy. It's not at losing it all on Cybertron like Slag or feeling unappreciated like Splash, but rather, he believes that war and killing is all he'll ever be good for. His entire existence so far has been defined by warfare, and while he puts on a brave front, he's secretly terrified of what will happen once the Great War is over and he's out of people to fight. He often fights, both with his fellow Dinobots and the Decepticons, to make himself forget about these problems if only for a moment, which just perpetuates the cycle. Fights with a large, serrated thermo-blade.

Sludge: The largest Dinobot of them all, Sludge is widely regarded as one of the dumbest Autobots, if not one of the dumbest Transformers on Earth period. Getting him to understand the objectives of the mission and what to do can be a challenge, but once he's gotten it clear, he's basically a moving wall thanks to his size and his incredibly resilient armor plating. Some Autobots joke that he's so durable because he's too dumb to realize it's supposed to hurt him. While he rarely needs to participate in battle, he wield a gigantic double-sided battle axe in combat.

Skar: Skar considers himself to be a bulwark for the Autobots. While the other Dinobots will throw themselves into combat, Skar stays back and ensures that the gunners can do what needs to be done, fending off any combatants coming their way. After spending millennia trapped underground because he went on the offense one too many times, Skar thinks that the best way to prevent that from happening again is protecting the people he knows are on his side. While few words are spoken between him and his Autobot allies, he believes they respect him as much as he does them. Fights with a shield and a flaming flail (think Animated Swoop).

Slash: The wild child. While ancient by Cybertronian standards, Slash still acts like a bot in primary programming. Sneaky, underhanded, and even a bit bratty, she often mouths off to Grimlock and Optimus and makes herself a nuisance. Despite this, however, she's still a very effective warrior, but her much smaller stature often pits her against smaller Decepticons such as the Insecticons, Reflector, or Barricade. Fights with a pair of thermo-daggers.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Turn them into a combiner team.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Transform4Christ

Transform4Christ Well-Known Member

Hopefully Volcanicus rather than The Beast.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    My definitive version: The main original five who are big robots who aren't 100% bright BUT aren't idiots... its just they are the smashy-smashy robots. You send them in during the darkest hour. The "Fall of Cybertron" Trailer Dinobots where Bee is dying, Optimus is outmatched... and then Grimlock and the crew show up and quietly nod. "Leave, little prime. Dinobots finish this".

As Warpshard said increase the ranks:

Slash- Created after the events of G1 when Perceptor found Wheeljack's notes and realized the DInobots are dim witted because they are too big... their energon processors can't give them enough energy to power everything so the brains are running at a lower rate. Perceptor corrects this with a little bot: Slash, a raptor. The first female Dinobot. She is fast, cunning... like a normal autobot... and Grimlock thinks she's his baby daughter and coddles her. Much to her annoyance but she does love him.

Scorn- An attempt by the Decepticons to make their own Dinobot, Scorn is a Spinosaurus and while he does join the Autobots he has a rivalary with Grimlock, constantly feuding with him.

Splash- The very first Dinobot, actually. Wheeljack's first attempt that he hid because... Splash is a pacifist and Wheeljack knew Splash never wanted to fight. Is seen as the weird older sibling of the dinobots.

Skar- Field medic of the Dinobots... and is Grimstone's core part. To use G1 Skar is actually based on Wheeljack's own brainwaves, so he is a smaller, smarter dinobot. Has four drones he combines with to help the team: Sledge, Slice, Streak, and Sneer

• Like Like x 4
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I would stop with the Dinobots as idiots bit. I much preferred Grimlock in his Marvel comics version. So I'd have the main 5 (plus background Dinobots as needed) but make them much more like Klingons for lack of a better analogy. Warriors who crave glorious battle above all with no patience for matters of diplomacy when a good sword is all the diplomacy they need. Glory to the house of Grimlock!

• Like Like x 6
  8. SecretWyvern

SecretWyvern Tax fraud is the right of all sentient beings

The Dinobots are definitely older bots in my opinion, with an origin more similar to the comics where they were gladiators who ended up on Earth millions of years ago where they took up dinosaur modes, before getting buried and going into stasis until present day. Personality wise I'd say keep them mostly the same, though tone down the idiot cavemen bit, they're rough and coarse but they're as intelligent as most other cybertronians. Though, I can see Grimlock doing the third person speech every now and again mostly cause he knows it pisses others off.

• Like Like x 2
  9. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    -All G1 style
    -Leader Sunbow Grimlock
    -Leader Sunbow Slag
    -Leader Sunbow Sludge
    -Voyager Sunbow Swoop
    -Leader Sunbow Snarl
    -Deluxe Slash
    -Voyager Grimstone with Combiner Wars gimmick torso compatibility
    -Leader Paddles
    -Leader Scorn
    -Voyager Strafe; upgrade of G1 Strafe that wanted to join Daddy's team
    -Deluxes of all 4 PCC Dinobot drones(Pachycephalosaurus Drone, Dimetrodon Drone, Parasaurolophus Drone, Ankylosaurus Drone) with new robot modes and Combiner Wars gimmick limb compatibility
    -Catilla, Dualor, Rav, and Triceradon in any class if not Minicons
    -Commander Pretender Grimlock with 10-inch-tall cyber-barbarian shell(ORGANIC, NOT CYBERNETIC)
    -Shattered Glass decos of all of the above
    -Leader G2 Grimlock
    -Leader G2 Slag
    -Leader G2 Snarl
    -Leader Grimlock (DotM deco)
    -Leader Slag (DotM deco)
    -Leader Sludge (DotM deco)
    -Voyager Swoop (DotM deco)
    -Leader Snarl (DotM deco)
    -Deluxe Slash (DotM deco)

• Like Like x 4
  10. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Presentation wise, G1.
    Characterization? I would definitely deviate with from the caveman talk except for Grimlock, but I'd also not make them dumb or mere brutes. Not sure how comics have portrayed them over the years but I'd definitely try for very distinct personalities, like Grimlock would be like DC Comics' Lobo, he knows he's a badass and has the attitude, bordering on egotistical. I know that's kinda what Grimlock was, confident in his strength to kick anyone's @$$ but Lobo liked to flaunt it.
    Then I'd make Slag like Joe Pesci's character in Goodfellas, able to f-u up if you looked at him funny...funny like a clown.
    Swoop seems like a free spirit so I think he'd be like a hippie.
    Snarl would be like the most composed, level headed, almost big brother-ish, while Sludge would be the opposite, the "kid brother" trying to impress the others.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

Dinocons. Not Autobots, and never have been.
    None were created on Earth. They have a long Cybertronian history as a team of mercenaries, with Cybertronian alt modes that are changed for use on Earth by Shockwave in order to cause chaos by instilling fear into the population.
    Grimlock is intelligent but brutal and compassionless, and irrational when in battle as a T. Rex. Threatens Megatron for leadership role. Despises Starscream, who is deathly afraid of him.
    Slag has a longstanding rivalry with Brawn, and the two often seek each other out in battles.
    Other Dinocons have characteristics as per original tech specs, but regardless of intelligence, none talk like idiots as portrayed on G1 cartoon.
    The Dinocons' loyalty to the Deception cause is tenuous, but they have absolutely no interest in joining the Autobot ranks. The team frequently and enthusiastically disobeys Megatron's commands under Grimlock's direction.
    They definitely-- most assuredly-- do not combine and are in fact incompatible with the technology.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Transform4Christ

Transform4Christ Well-Known Member

The Dinobots used to be the Lightning Strike Coalition, a brutal commando team of Autobots led by Grimlock, who often butted heads with Optimus Primr, viewing his tactics as ineffective against the Decepticons forces. However they were captured by the Decepticon scientist Shockwave who performed the experiment that would give them their dinosaur alternate modes in the hope of making them mindless berserkers. They managed to escape Shockwave’s clutches and became the Dinobots.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ultra magnus13

Ultra magnus13 Well-Known Member

I am completely against them being a combiner. One of the many things I loved about them as a kid was that they were able to take on a combiner themselves without having that gimmick.

I'm pretty attached to the Sunbow origin. The Klingon style "honorable warrior" schtick they get stuck with sometimes is such a tired trope. Being built by Wheeljack, is fascinating for me. I hate "mysticism" in Transformers. Humans can pretty much create life with raw biological material, it only makes sense the Transformers could create life with raw mechanical material. It gives Wheeljack a cool Dr. Frankenstein angle.

I hate when they are portrayed as brooding or stoic. For me the ideal place for them is somewhere between season 2 and 3. TFTM nails them. On the battlefield they should be competent and ferocious. Off they should be lovable goofballs. They are like doggos. They can be super protective and ferocious, but also be big lovable dopes.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong when I say "like Klingons"...I don't want dark and brooding or even honorable warrior types...I want them to be loud and boisterous...like Klingons at a bar.

• Like Like x 9
  15. Ultra magnus13

Ultra magnus13 Well-Known Member

THAT I think fits them very well.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Still no war in Ba Sing Se

So pretty much every Klingon but Worf, right?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 ACCESS FLASH

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    One thing's for sure. They won't be idiots.

• Like Like x 4
  18. AStreetcarNamedWheeljack

AStreetcarNamedWheeljack Well-Known Member

Make Grimlock an intelligent pseudo-villain like in the marvel comics.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dragonclaw

News Credits:
    Basically lol ...To me the Dinobots feel like they should strike fear into their enemies but be kind of obnoxious and overbearing to their allies.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    You know what? This works rather well. I was thinking of making Grimlock an ancient long-dead warrior-king (if I don't want to do anything with a character in the present day, I shunt them into the past) who's basically a Conan expy (NOT the movies), with gigantic mirths and gigantic melancholies, which I think dovetails rather nicely with your idea.

• Like Like x 2