What would be YOUR definitive Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shady boi, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Still no war in Ba Sing Se

Origins wise, I have 3 criteria that I have mentioned before:

1). Commoner background. No nobility, no authority. He can already be an inspirational figure to the proto autobots, but he shouldn't represent the power structure of the prewar era. Let the war be the crucible that makes him into Optimus Prime.

2). War Dawn relationship with Megatron. No longer are they former friends. Instead, give them a moment in which Megatron's savagery becomes crystal clear to Optimus and let him develop from there.

3). Having given him a starting point and a turning point, proceed to allow him to rise through the ranks until he becomes the hero Optimus Prime. No chosen ones, only proven ones.

For personality, the most important things to get right are a genuine love of the world and all there is to learn about it and that he is in Peter Cullen's words "strong enough to be gentle".

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  2. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    I can't really narrow it to one, not when there are strengths and weaknesses to all the major incarnations. Although "Not Bayverse" and "Not WFC" would be a good place to start.

I'll just quote Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart: Wonderful chaps. All of them!

• Like Like x 3
  3. crazyjw18

crazyjw18 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like lots of versions of Prime, but yeah, G1 cartoon Prime is my favorite by far. He is a good serious warrior but isn't above having fun.

Armada/Cybertron Prime and Prime Prime are good as well. I really like Prime at points in IDW, but then you have points that really drag that incarnation down. Cyberverse Prime is decent, though he felt more like a background character than usual there so it was harder to get a good reading.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Sunbow G1 Optimus, without a doubt. But I'd take out the Orion Pax storyline and replace it with my House of Magnus fanon that ties up most of the loose ends that the G1 writers failed to execute.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 MERRY CHRISTMAS!

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Less of a military leader, more of an idealistic politician. A bright ray of hope in a sea of corruption. A naive, idealistic politician and leader.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Transform4Christ

Transform4Christ Well-Known Member

Mine is the personality of Aligned Optimus Prime with the appearance of Cybertron 2005 Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

Agreed 100% on this for origin. Personality... I would say let the character develop a personality as the story goes on, but keep the “Strong enough to be gentle” part and try to keep the compassion for others.

What I would do for personality is start Optimus out as sort of a young, idealistic bot, but when the war starts, and as it progresses, this changes him into the commander he is supposed to be, but he still retains some of his core thoughts, and learns how to be a commander the longer the war goes on.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Transform4Christ

Transform4Christ Well-Known Member

That’s the ideal Optimus Prime for me. Though, you could have him and Megatron still be former friends until Megatron cross a line that Optimus is forced to side against him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

A lot of people know that I'm not big on Optimus Prime (always preferred the "monke" over him), but if I had to pick one, it would be definitely the Cyberverse one. That's basically dad Prime with a bit more added to him. Yes, he isn't a deep character, but the addition of the social awkwardness when it comes to social interaction really made me enjoy this version. And fortunately, he doesn't suffer from an anti-climactic end like Cyberverse Megatron did.

So yeah, I'll say Cyberverse and I'll face my punishment like a man.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    good cant be punished.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

How about a fist-bump from an ally?

• Like Like x 3
  12. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Brah, of course. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  13. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    Honestly? I haven't seen one yet that captures everything I want the character to. Each one is missing something - most of them are missing the ruthlessness and drive to end the war, and as for the main exception (Bayverse, natch), we don't get to see the road he walked to reach that point. And I don't care about the last line of his Marvel bio, you know, the one where he'd be more effective, but he wouldn't be Optimus. That's a moral failing on his part - by not doing everything he can to defeat his enemy and end the war, he's dragging out the suffering the war inflicts, all so that he can feel better about himself.

I've talked at length about how I'd do Optimus in the past, but the short version is that I'd take Netflix's Frank Castle, Gargoyles's Goliath, the Doom Slayer, and Solomon Kane, stick them in a blender, then pour the result in an Optimus-shaped mold. To quote myself from another thread: "Mr. "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" himself, hero of the four-hundred year Great War and the eternal bulwark against the Decepticons' savagery. Except, when he says his famous motto, what he means is "and I'll kill anyone who threatens that freedom." He was one of the Decepticons' first victims, and he reforged himself into a living weapon with one purpose: end the Decepticon threat once and for all, so that no one else ends up like him. What this resulted in is a guy who's a literal murder machine, a one-man army, albeit one with a heaping helping of PTSD from the things he's seen and done, no fear of death (in his words, "Compared what the Cons do to prisoners, death is a mercy."), and no sense of self care whatsoever (he figures that he doesn't have time for therapy, saying that it would take a century to just unpack all the shit he's seen.) He doesn't know why the others are following him, but they are, so it falls to him to keep them alive and relatively innocent (unlike him)."
    He'd be a force of nature, a one-man crusade pitting himself against a corrupt galaxy, because no one else will.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Your take is intresting. This needs to be a story.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    I've been turning over ideas for a story in my head for years now, but it ain't really going anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

This is how I like it to be, I have some of my favourites but experimenting with the character keeps him fresh and reason for me to get future versions of his toys without thinking its too close to previous versions.

When I read this my mind somehow thought of WFC/FOC Optimus Prime, he is completely ruthless when fighting the Decepticons, often throwing snide remarks after some kills but this is in retaliation towards how horrible and evil the Decepticons are.

He still cares about his fellow Autobots and would do anything to prevent more of them to be harmed by the Decepticons.

• Like Like x 3
  17. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

When it comes to design, I'm not TERRIBLY concerned - as far as I'm concerned, the less Bay influence, the better. I don't care if you wanna make him a fire truck, as long as he looks like Optimus I'm down (Animated nails this, for example).

In terms of his CHARACTER (the more important part tbh), however...

Make him fun.

Seriously - give us an Optimus who loves to tell terrible dad jokes, an Optimus who's unconditionally supportive of his friends and fellow soldiers, an Optimus who loves Earth movies and music. Make him a dad, complete with corny jokes, weird love of carpentry/building stuff (side note did anyone else's dad get super into woodworking in their 40's-50's or is it just mine), just completely wholesome dad stuff.

But at the SAME time...

He should be completely equipped and ready to deal with any violent situations, and by "Deal with them" I mean "putting the killers in the dirt". He shouldn't relish or enjoy killing, but since he's a military commander in basically EVERY interpretation of the character, he shouldn't have any hesitations about it either, should the situation leave no alternative. This is something I feel like often gets twisted - yes, Optimus should kill. But he shouldn't be proud of it, he shouldn't rush to killing, it should be something that, while he's SCARILY good at, he only does when he absolutely HAS to.

If you really wanna get cerebral with it, I would personally LOVE to see an Optimus Prime that tries to reconcile these contradictory character traits within himself. He values life in all it's forms and believes in freedom for all, yet at the same time doesn't hesitate to kill when there's no choice left - how do those two ideas exist within someone at the same time? What is his mind like when he is constantly having to host two ideas that are at direct odds with each other? I think if you dive into that while at the same time remembering that he's the team dad, you'd potentially have a great interpretation of Optimus Prime, so long as there's talented writers behind it.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Wishing for a reboot

That's my exact view. As much as I generally prefer the storytelling and quality of the Marvel comic, there are certain things about the cartoon that are way too iconic to leave out. The events of the '86 movie, Starscream getting his ass kicked, the vocal performances, and of course, lame yet loving and badass Dad Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1 Sunbow Prime, with a hint of Animated Optimus and MCU Captain America in terms of character growth. I don't want him to be infallible, I want to be a great leader but I also want that room for him to still be allowed to grow.

Give him the Alligned/Prime backstory of being a librarian before becoming a Prime.

And like everyone's been saying, I want him to have that "Optimus Dad" feeling the G1 cartoon gave us. He's still a wise and strong leader but still allowed to be a fun character, and it's kinda insane that it took all the way to Cyberverse to aim for that

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Librarian before the war, Animated beginning of the war, Supreme Commander of millions of cybertronians with smaller commanders commanding their own fleets at the climax/end of the war.

• Like Like x 1