What would be the third most popular incarnation of Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Issy543, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Revoticus

Revoticus Well-Known Member

I'm under the impression that you have to be popular enough to earn a spot in the masterpiece line.

But if we are speaking of the general audience then the new cyberverse cartoon or Rescuebots are probably fresh in people's mind right now

• Like Like x 1
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Popular with collectors. Do you understand what a tiny segment of society we are?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Revoticus

Revoticus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess I was thinking in the mind set of a transformers fan, I kinda forget that when i'm in the forums

• Like Like x 1
  4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Aligned isn't even a continuity. it's corporate synergy speak that failed to deliver. It's best to simply treat each continuity that was lumped under aligned as its own thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Unkempt Introvert (I actually bathe everyday.)

I will agree that Aligned was certainly much more corporate driven.

• Like Like x 1
  6. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    GenZ was too young for Unicron, they had Animated/Prime/Bayverse.
    Later GenX was G1, maybe earliest Millennials.
    G2, BW, RID2000, and at least Armada was Millennial.

You also need to remember that age skewing of pop culture started post-GenX. I grew up when toys/toons/comics/games were "kid stuff", and you were expected to disown all of it by high school (or earlier). You were the nerd, the dork, the loser, no life, etc, so you just didn't mention it, enjoyed it at home on your own time. It was a taboo. That stigma really heavily disappeared after I was in school and college. A lot of fans, back in those days, didn't talk about or display their fondness of TFs. By the early 2000s, anime and video games were widely accepted as something to partake in your teens/20s. That's when a lot of companies started to heavily target young adults, and saw the rise of Adult Swim and similar. It started in late 90s, but those early successes gave way to mass exposure in 2000s.

GenX is also the pre-tattoo generation, where we didn't cover our bodies in random artwork. I often see artwork for anime, cartoons, comics, and other stuff that would have NEVER happened "back in the day" (GenX in 20s/30s). But it's all accepted now. I don't know about tattoos (not a fan), but public acceptance of liking this stuff is great.

Comic conventions were sausage fests, either dads/kids, kids/kids, or those overweight Comic Book Guys that didn't make the cut for The Simpsons. No girls. None. Not a lot of young adults or HS/college students.

That sort of makes my point. You're the demo. Enjoy it. :) 

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  7. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire SICK to death of you guys!!!

News Credits:
    Beast Wars. But I wish it was CYBERTRON.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    True, but there's almost a ten year gap between the beginning of Beast Wars, and the end of the Unicron Trilogy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    That's doesn't really matter. End/middle of Beast Wars and start of Armada was quick. TF RID (Carrobots 2000) was between those.

Note how post-1998 shows were Pokemon-like, including 2000s TFs. My big complaint with post-BW toons was that humans were overdone, and the "gotta catch em all" minicons story was stupid. Pokemon was a Millennial thing, not so much Gen Z. I actually liked Pokemon, it was innocent like Smurfs, but I didn't like how it infested other brands, nor all the crappy copycats, nor all the "card" shows. I remember that TMNT was one of the only non-Pokemon/card shows for at least a year there, on Fox Kids/Box (WB). For that reason, those TF shows are really dated, while 80s G1 is not (excluding the 86 movie). The crappy 90s CG also dates BW. But G1 could be modern anime, with the only tell-tale being 4x3 instead of 16x9.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

I can't speak for everyone else, although I'm sure most BW fans would agree, Beast Wars' popularity stems from the fact that the show was well written with fleshed out characters, and engaging stories. The show didn't take off until towards the end of season 1. The first 20 or so episodes were your typical weekly stand alone episode with bits of foreshadowing and mythos sprinkled in. It wasn't until Before the Storm that the show became a serial and then Season 2 turned things up to eleven. Beast Wars is my favorite cartoon, but when I rewatched the show with my daughter who hadn't seen it, I was honestly bored sometimes watching season 1. Not because the episodes were bad, but because I was waiting for season 2. Season 1 has some great episodes. I'm in the minority who loves The Low Road. I also like the animal aesthetic. A transforming velociraptor is what got me hooked. Most of the characters on either team are likeable, and you even feel for them at times. Well, the Maximals anyway.

And because this always gets brought up, and seems to be the deciding factor for some reason even though there are cartoons today that make my eyes bleed, I never had a problem with the CGI. Even today it looks like it did over 20 years ago. Comparing it to shit today is completely unfair. It's not like a PS1 game that looked good 20 years ago, but now looks like one big pixel. Toy Story still looks the same, but comparing it to Monsters Inc, or something more recent would be silly. Of course CGI looks better now. Toy Story also had a bigger budget. Like, a way bigger budget. The animation isn't perfect and it doesn't need to be. It's a cartoon. Unless it's purposely drawn ugly like Ed Edd and Eddy, which is no excuse, I hate that fucking show...

Beast Wars is the only transformers cartoon I've watched. I've had no desire to watch any others, although I've made an attempt. I have seen the 86 movie, but that was back in 2004 I think. I thought it was boring. I do collect the G1 characters now, (the ones I think look cool, I'm not a completist) but I still have no interest in the shows. How many people compare the animation from the cartoon to the movie? That's also unfair.

If you don't like the animal aesthetic, that's fair, but if you're judging the show based off the first few episodes with annoying Cheetor, or trivial things like the animation, I'd say give it another shot. Plus, it's violent for a kid's show. Who doesn't love cartoon violence?

All that said, even though we are getting BW MPs now, I probably wouldn't rank it as the third most popular. There hasn't been a BW comic in many years, no cartoons, and barely any toys at retail. Rescue Bots is probably more popular, or like others have said, Prime or Animated. I won't say "real" fans, but among the hardcore, dedicated fans, Beast Wars would certainly rank as third. I think we collectors are still a smaller group than those casual fans of the live action movies and cartoons. Those who turn on the TV to watch a block of cartoons, or go see the newest blockbuster.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Issy543

Issy543 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I’m surprised many people are saying Beast Wars. I though people would have grouped that with G1, rather than considering it as a separate incarnation...

Prime, as much as I like it, I feel isn’t very popular in recent years, since it hasn’t had too much lasting impacts on the franchise, and since the characters’ designs do resemble quite a bit to the live action Michael Bay films, I feel a general audience might risk mixing the two up. It also has the difficulty of being grouped with the Aligned incarnation of the franchise, which isn’t very well connected together, although individually, they all have their own strengths.

With the Unicron Trilogy, it was, for a period of time, the only way someone would be able to identify the Transformers series, and was during a period in time where anime was being more embraced in the west (I assume). And it’s difficult to really confuse it with the G1 incarnation of the franchise, since it’s quite unique to the franchise.

I’m surprised no one made a case for the IDW (2005 - 2018) continuity, given how it embraced all of the different incarnations of Transformers, and mashed it into something new, while also adding new elements.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    I’m early Gen Z and grew up with Unicron in addition to Bayverse, Animated, and Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No idea what's mainstream-popular outside of G1 and live-action, but if fan-art is anything to go by ... Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Lol Beast Wars may be in the G1 Timeline but it should be treated as it's own thing beyond chronology as it is different from G1 in all possible ways.

I mean, the outcry over BW Megatron getting lumped in with all the other Megatrons ever for the Hall of Fame shows how important it is to regard Beast Was independently of G1, as BW Megatron coexists in the timeline with G1vMegatron instead of just being a series counterpart.

15. Charlock

Charlock Well-Honed Blender

This is a solid reply, my friend. Well worded and full of great points. I appreciate a response without animosity and sincere appreciation of something you clearly enjoy. I'm glad you didn't take my comment as an insult to your preference. I definitely have a better understanding of why someone would appreciate that particular property. It's still not my cup of tea, but I may be outside of the demographic, too.

I'll say this, the aesthetic was a big part of why I walked away from Beast Wars in the first place, but I do feel like I gave it a fair shake when it first came out. I honestly can't say where I left off with it, but I may just go back and see if I can get to the turning point you and a few others have mentioned.

Thank you. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

You're welcome, and thank you as well for the compliment, although I do think I could have worded some things better.

If you dont want to watch all 26 episodes of season 1, I think these will do to get you up to speed:
    Pilot 1 & 2 - It's the introduction to the show.
    Chain of Command - begins the mythos. Also one of the few episodes with shadows. Really makes a difference.
    Power Surge - maybe not completely necessary, but you see how far Terrorsaur will go in his treacherous ways.
    Fallen Comrades - introduces Tigatron, but can probably be skipped.
    Double Jeopardy - introduces Blackarachnia, same as above
    Gorilla Warfare - Primal is a bad ass.
    Double Dinobot - the more Dinobot, the better.
    The Spark - introduces Airazor. Cheetor gets his ass kicked.
    The Trigger 1 & 2 - more mythos, but isn't essential.
    Spider's Game - introduces Inferno. He's a bad ass.
    Possession - The Starscream episode.
    The Low Road - I don't care what anyone says, this episode is hilarious. There's more to it than just Rhinox farting, which he only did once.
    Before the Storm - The story begins.
    Other Voices 1 & 2 - Season finale.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I love the Beast Wars show but I just don't get the hype about Code of the Hero. It was always a let down for me because of Dinobot's corny voice and the terrible background music in the show.

Someone mentioned cardboard characters in Prime and I agree, Bulkhead and Brakedown definitely qualify and Raf was a terrible cliche but Primus, Quickstrike was as 2 dimensional a villain as they come. Absolutely no redeemable qualities. Plus along with Rattrap, easily two of the most annoying characters in the franchise.

18. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Posting from Bizarro World.

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I know. Imagine a world where you can have your own opinions and not be roped into groupthink...

• Like Like x 3
  20. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Imagine a world where you can point out controversial, unpopular opinions too.