What would be the most viable option for a MP line of VICTORY! toys [survey]

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by batfan007, Sep 15, 2016.

?

What would be the most viable option for a MP line of VICTORY! toys [survey]

Poll closed Oct 20, 2016.
  1. Brick and Mortar Only (TRU, Target, other)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Online Only (meaning all direct market online stores, such as site sponsors)

81.0%
  3. Online + Brick and Mortar (eg TF Source + TRU etc)

19.0%
  1. batfan007

batfan007 Double Dragon Dying Mode

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

What, in your opinion would be the most financially viable option for a line of official MP style VICTORY toys?
    While there are no doubt various options, I've kept this poll simple, feel free to write in other options/choices.

EDIT: I'm talking about an official line of toys, not 3P.

2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    If you are talking about US retailers, why would they ever even want to sell (probably) expensive figures with no significant market for those figures out there? Victory is practically unknown outside a relatively small group of hardcore Transformers fans. I don't actually think either brick & mortar or even online retailers would want to burn their fingers on stocking figures without proper media promotion (like a popular TV show or a movie).

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Nifty

News Credits:
    Third Party.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Cool poster.

5. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Better off Pred

Are you happy with the current MP Starsaber batfan007?

In answer to your question I think they would be sold just like all other Takara MPs. In shops in Japan and online everywhere else, if that is how TT currently works. I'm a transformers fan not a retail expert sorry. As for the comments that say Victory wasn't very popular with Western audiences, why would that stop Japan from making them? Victory got some love in the RobotMasters days right so it could happen again.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Deonasis

Deonasis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would have thoughts like galvatom above but i misread about the quality of figures suggested when i voted. They would be obscure-ish MPs and would be a hard sell for most BnM at with the MP pricetag.

7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Considering that TRU hasn't even touched MP Star Saber, my guess is that any other Victory releases would stay online only.

8. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Never gonna happen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why would anyone choose anything other then b&m and online in the poll? I get b&m is unlikely but why cut out the possibility?

10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i'd rather they go the CHUG route

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Because the question is not what I prefer. It's what would be financially feasible, presumably for the companies involved although the OP did not spell that out very well. In this case, it would make sense if the only vendors willing to gamble would be online retailers. Toys R Us might be willing, since they already offer Masterpieces sometimes....so chances are that if it were offered, TRU would probably participate, though.

12. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

Because we're realists

Honestly I feel a MP line of Victory toys is unlikely enough that, by definition, it is not viable.

13. batfan007

News Credits:
    I've never seen MP Saber, but he is rather lovely. I may get one some day if I can get one at a decent price. But as he's older now I only see the price going up, so maybe not. Before you know it he'll be going for Soundwave MP pre-reissue prices as people notice how brilliant a toy at is, and realise that other things exist outside of (US) gee-won etc.

I'm not an MP collector, but I have watched long HD reviews on everything in the line. I go with particular toys I like, regardless of what line it is or whatever. If there are two that I may purchase at some point they would be Magnus and Saber. I really like the Delta Magnus too, but I got the KFC Diaclone Stack, so it would be great to have MP magnus with that one, so I get to enjoy both molds. I also have CW Magnus and RID Magnus and G1 Magnus, so he's one of those characters I collect.

Pretty much my thinking, but I didn't want to pre-empt the question and was/am keen to hear other people's points of view.
    The world is full of niche markets of all types. So something being niche to me is a reason TO MAKE something, rather than not make it, as it already has a built in audience, and a worldwide one when you consider Transformers fandom at large, and large networks of social media, sharing, direct market sellers and news etc.
    Even if VICTORY is not as interesting to many people as US Transformers, it still gets spammed all over social media and blogs etc as much as any mainline toy such as megatron etc.

EG this week I've seen loads of stuff about the two new 3P megatrons, and that Victory "Simba" toy from whoever.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They are not viable at all period outside of 3P or Botcon Convention Exclusives.

15. batfan007

News Credits:
    What about the current Dia Battles line, 3P original (non-transformer character) toys and other exceptions?
    They sold. Some of them were $200++ each.

At a high price point (such as MP in general) even less units would need to be sold to make it financially viable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I disagree with that. I'm not saying make JUST VIctory or masterforce as a year's theme, but throw in a few here and there. If a kid saw a voyager Star Saber and saw it combined with a Voyager Victory Leo they may not know who the character is, but they may say "hey this looks really cool I want to get it" Kids like fire trucks, they see a Masterforce Hosehead, it could work. I'm just saying don't do all at once. AND MAKE THEM CHUG!

17. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Well Hasbro is currently re-releasing toys of characters exclusive to Headmasters, which aren't much more well known than Victory characters, especially to kids of 2016.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    It isn't really an exact comparison. We still got damn near the entire Headmasters line over here, if not the entire thing (minus the tiny exclusive Headmasters) and the characters have still been represented in fiction through the years, so while Chromedome may not be as popular as Jazz or Ironhide he still got more of a showing over here than, say, Braver. By and large Victory's toys went unreleased over here and the characters have not appeared in a ton of fiction barring Star Saber, and only recently, so the Headmasters cast was always a far more likely candidate for any line that focuses largely on American G1 the way CHUG has.

19. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

We got Headmasters toys over 25 years ago. In the US the Headmasters appeared in a whopping 3 episodes at the tale end of the G1 cartoon, (Rebirth.) Yes, they also existed in the Marvel comics, but that was also over 25 years ago--never mind that adapting the Headmasters into the Marvel comics was problematic. Powermaster Prime is actually from Masterforce, (we also got a small handfull of other toys from Masterforce.) These characters have not been recycled into the modern cartoons like the mainline characters, (except for maybe Scorponok), and to Hasbro the less attention brought to Headmasters/Masterforce/Victory the better. (The battle over getting those shows out in the US in any form is a long discussion for another time.)
    Given all that baggage, (of which I haven't even covered everything), it is a small miracle we've got new Headmaster toys. Despite kids in 2016 not knowing a single thing about these characters, these toys are selling like hotcakes so maybe Hasbro will dip into Victory. Chronology may or may not apply, but they might have to go through Masterforce first--even though they've already redone Powermaster Optimus.

20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    If we were to see Victory figures, CHUG would be the best vehicle for them (even if they don't operate exactly the way the originals did, i.e. Ginrai from Masterforce in CHUG). Masterpiece is too risky versus the lower pricepoint CHUG offers for said impulse buys for a broader audience.