What would a G2 Repaint of G1 Optimus Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RodimusRex, Jun 5, 2020.

1. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I saw some folks lament that Alt Universe Optimus, the repaint of Earthrise Optimus, isn't another redeco. I saw G2 mentioned as a prospect.

So... Assuming zero retooling aside from maybe the head (but possibly redeco'd accessories at a higher price) what does that mean to you...?

I feel like it takes Laser Prime off the table.

Given a G1 style trailer, this is the obvious trailer...

[​IMG]

A brighter almost neon pink red and purple blue. The figure didn't necessarily look quite that extreme in person but media opted for that look. Advantage here is that the silver biceps are media accurate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On that note, I side with yellow eyes for G2. In part because the comic book did them and had memorable shots of his face.

[​IMG]

More of a chrome-y silver look to the legs. Maybe skip the detailing and use the G2 shoulder emblem.

[​IMG]

Maybe detail the silver bits with a second blue tone of silver. Two tone silver. Use that for windows, possibly with crack detailing since he had cracked chest windows most of the comic.

Another option is the eyes, chest windows, and shoulder logo in gold...

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

I could maybe see throwing in two battle masters with neon orange-y pink effects to simulate the missiles and deco a silver Autobot logo on the front of the trailer.

2. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Thoughts? I think your last photo says it all. New beefy G2 Megatron please

• Like Like x 4
  3. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marvel Comics Prime always has yellow eyes.

4. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    Yeah and vintage G1 toy Prime almost always does too.

But I'm grasping for how you do MP44 or Earthrise Prime redecos as a vanilla G2 Prime that doesn't look like MP44 or Earthrise Prime.

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It would be cool to actually see this happen especially if the Optimus figure himself is colored like he was in the G2 comics to help set him apart further from the regular ER Optimus mold. If we're going to see more repaints from ER Optimus in the future you might as well go for ones that don't have much representation.

6. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    upload_2020-6-5_16-24-46.jpeg

Apply these colors to the G1 toy?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Needs the missle backpack and removable missle guns from it. That was my ideal armnament/look back in G2.

8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still waiting for that to finally happen....*sigh*

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I once took a broken G1 Optimus and mixed it with a broken G2 Optimus cab. (Red bits.) I assure you, the red is the exact same color as the G1 toy on the G2 toy. It's not 'neon' pink at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    I said that in this thread. However if you want to make a toy not seem redundant, I'm thinking it'd take more than the actual G2 toy differences and Optimus was neon in the commercials/G2 animated opening.

A G2 Optimus that shares a mold with G1 Optimus (which IMHO is different from a Hero OP, which needs its own mold) might need to model itself on 90s CGI commercials and comics as much as the actual toy.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Ah, okay I get you. You confused me with that bit about the neon pink. You didn't clarify that you were talking about the opening. The opening just looks like the same red to me, too. Which added to the confusion. Thank you for clarifying what you meant.

12. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Unfortunately, Hasbro has parts from the Optimus figure grouped with parts from the trailer in the same molds. So if they cast the trailer in black, then all the gray on Optimus will be black. It's too bad because a G2 repaint would be fun. And with Hubcap coming out soon, they could do him up in metallic red so the G2 Optimus trailer has a G2 vehicle to fit inside it.

I still think that Earthrise Megatron wasn't needed. Passing on G2 Megatron was a missed opportunity. If you're going to make a Megatron that's a tank, G2 Megatron is the original tank Megatron.

On a side note, I'm still sore that Takara used the G2 Hero Megatron mold in the Robot Masters line to make Reverse Convoy and Hasbro used the G2 Hero Megatron mold in the Universe line to make Bludgeon, and between the 2 companies busting out the G2 Hero Megatron mold, neither company saw fit to release that mold in the original green with purple camo colors for G2 Megatron.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    They can just paint over it and it might actually look good. WFC Sideswipe was molded in black but painted over in red and it made for an appealing tone of red.

14. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    It's not ALL of the gray. The leg panels, hands, and hip hinges are gangmolded with the sides of the truck. The shoulder hinges, back of the head, and biceps are gangmolded with the bed of the trailer. The main legs are on a separate sprue.

To an extent you can paint things and ER Prime did. Or have the bed of the trailer not be black.

I figured you'd get the hands and head painted like ER figure. The leg flaps and hip hinges would be black.

Then again, it might be that Hasbro could release two recolors at once and swap between them. That has happened at some points in toy history.

Maybe a Toxitron with black legs and a silver trailer and a G2 with silver legs and a black trailer assembled together...?

I'd consider a two pack if they had to be packaged together.

Maybe it wouldn't even take two of the same figure with color masking and a bunch of weapons tooled to share sprues with pieces on an alternate mold setup like a new mold with weapons replacing some parts.

Like a Commander class release with new sprue layout that comes with G2 accessories like the missiles (sharing red and black with the base figure) and a bunch of spare gray and/or red guns. I don't think new molds cost what they used to.

15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Do like they did with selects megatron and just apply the unreleased combat hero deco onto the er figure

• Like Like x 2
  16. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    I like the idea of neon pink instead of red, neon yellow for the windshields and light blue for the legs.

That G2 Sureshot, ya silly goose.

I'd be %100 okay with that since my LG purple Megatron needs a rival badly.
    That, too

17. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    Man. Combat hero would be cool but you'd have a ton of people disappointed by the lack of Magna Convoy.

Throw in a new head and some distinct deco and you get prototype Powered Convoy!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I mean, it could kind of work as a dual homage, the blues aren't too different and it would work well with the selects megatron
    Magna-Convoy-06.jpg combat-hero-optimus-152.jpg dctextq-96489b6a-53ed-4059-91d9-819ac6f6d275.png 14c55ea879acaccecda12c2b7e475558.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. RodimusRex

News Credits:
    Re: G2 Unreleased Prime.

I like that with Siege Optimus.

Maybe bundled with a Sixgun redeco to achieve the missiles and cannon. Largely reverse the red and white to achieve the missiles. Paint/mold some parts black. Not sure what to call it. G2 Sixgun?

• Like Like x 1
  20. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits: