What will be the fate of the MTC (MakeToys' Combiner?) line?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by alex1984, Jan 16, 2017.

?

Do you want to see more MakeToys/FansProject combiners?

1. Yes, I collect and am committed to MT/FP combiners and want to see more of them.

48.5%
  2. Yes, I do not collect MT/FP combiners, but I hope they complete the line for other collectors

23.3%
  3. No, MT/FP combiners are a undersized by today's standards and are a thing of the past

15.5%
  4. No, G1 and MP FTW!

6.8%
  5. Maybe, MT/FP combiners are way overpriced compared to CW ones, will reconsider @ a lower price point

9.7%
  6. Don't care, what are MT/FP combiners anyway?

2.9%
  7. Yes, eventually, but I'm also okay if you want to pause the project to focus on the CD line

12.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

As it has been mentioned in the Guardia thread, MT seems to be shifting their focus away from combiners at this time. While we don't know whether this is due to poor sales or perhaps just too many new competitions (eg. TW, Warbo/GT/TFM, and maybe GC), it seems clear that the line has been put on hold indefinitely.

I know I personally would love for them to continue with the line, but how about the rest of you guys? Have they been made obsolete by the much cheaper CW combiners? Are smaller CHUG-sized combiners simply a thing of the past now that the giant combiners (TW Constructor, etc.) have arrived on the scene?

2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was someone who was very interested in seeing the rest of the G1 combiners made in the MTCombiner line and quite disappointed to hear they'd basically shelved the line. Now I'm literally in the process of selling off my MTCombiners because I've given up waiting for Superion and Bruticus to round them out, and I've since moved on to collecting MP scale and Legends scale so I no longer have need of anything in between. Up until about a week ago, my vote would have been a strong "Yes, I collect and am committed to MT/FP combiners and want to see more of them." but now it's leaning more towards "No, G1 and MP FTW!".

I still like their size for what they are, and if someone collects CHUG scale, they are great, but since I'm moving scales to MP they are kind of a bit too small to display together.

Price was never a factor, btw. Anyone who thinks they should be as cheap as CW/UW sets has no concept of costs. These are much more complex figures with a lot more engineering, design, and detail put into them. Sure, we'd all love everything to be cheaper, but the "lower price point" option is really just a cop-out vote that won't influence anything.

3. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I hope they make more. I don't collect them, but that's mainly because the current releases don't interest me all that much (regardless of how good the figures are, if I have no interest in the characters, I don't need them. Maybe some day I'll get 'em).
    As a CHUG collector, MP sized Combiners are waaay too huge for my tastes. Feral Rex and Gravity Builder are the only 3P combiner sets I have, and they fit great. It's sets like... Transformission's Menasor where the individual figures are too big to fit with the rest of my collection. I just really don't like MP scale.

Sucks to be me, I guess. I'll just sit and wait for a decently sized Bruticus and Menasor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. alex1984

LOL. I'm actually a cop-out then. :( 

For me, it's lower price point & still committed. The $380 or so price point is a bit high for me. I'd be a lot more comfortable with a $330~$350 price range, and based on what I've seen here in terms of the used prices, I think that price point can be realistic considering the additional number of units they can move at that point. I don't think they're necessarily operating at the ideal price point at the moment, and it'd be a shame if they gave up now.

5. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ [email protected]

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I came to 3P late and so never got into any of MT's combiners until I picked up most of the bots for one of the combiners over Black Friday. I kinda knew I was throwing money down the drain in terms of resale with some collectors getting out of this scale and expecting prices to go down along with resale value - but I liked the look and figured I'd give them a try. Whether I will regret it and consider it a $400 mistake is something else to be seen.

I hope that everybody that likes em gets em. You never know if another company will come back to these guys. I haven't even picked up any of the MT Combiners - are they really too small to fit with MP? Are they like Warbotron sized bots? Shame on me for buying figures and not doing all the research first! lol

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I love em all. The Computron one is still my fav but they're all great. I gotta save up enough for their Defensor, yet, though.

Cant say I can really think of who else i'd really love to see them do. It'd be *neat* to see em do guys like Abominus and Piranacon. I guess a Superion is kinda obvious, it would be neat in their style, but i'd kinda like to see them do one combiner thats just all their own, too. Not based on any character in particular. Just go all out Glacialord for a combiner and just see what they can come up with. But all that just seems less and less likely since the markets shifted so hard to MP-alikes.

But i'd still like to see em do some more. Eventually. Maybe keep on doing them but just slip em in under their Cross Dimension banner

• Like Like x 3
  7. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    I'm in exactly the same boat as you, I love the designs but have no attachment to the characters they represent, besides maybe Devastator. I love them as pieces of art, the aesthetic just really works for me, but for the money I need the characters to be important to me.

As for Menasor, did Fansproject's Intimidator not work for you @Chainlink? I find he fits in really well with Maketoys' aesthetic. :) 

8. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shouldn't this question be directed toward the source instead of polling it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    Agreed. I would love a Superion from them, and an original. I'd actually like to see them take Glacialord and make a "modern" combiner out him.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    Isnt the rumor that Menasor's designer is the same guy who went on to do the MT guys? But I mean, yeah. He fits right in perfectly

• Like Like x 3
  11. Recon734

Recon734 Mnemosurgeon

News Credits:
    The source has stated that they are focusing on their Re:Master and Cross Dimension lines, thus if they were posed with this question, the response would be that they are not focusing on it at this time. Ergo, it would be pointless. Issuing the question as a poll helps to obtain a clearer view of the demand for this line, rather than a single entity asking about it. At least, that's how I see it. :) 

12. byk500

byk500 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Guardia to go on discount, I might consider buying then :) 

13. alex1984

I guess my question should be changed to "What should be the fate of the MTC line?", but ultimately I just wanted to gauge the fandom's interest in these sets. Has the line simply fell out of favour with the fans or are there still enough demand to justify more releases in this line.

Now, how do I change the title?

• Like Like x 1
  14. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would love to see them at lower MSRP but they'll always be more than CW figures. They aren't comparable in engineering, just in size.

15. razingstorm

razingstorm Well-Known Member

I love their combiners. My collection is all in Detolfs, so scale is meaningless (Combiners get their own cube and don't stand with anybody else). These are some of my favorite figures and pieces--I'd buy Superion and Bruticus at full retail.

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    They've never been anything I'm interested in but if other collectors want them I hope they continue.

17. alex1984

Oh, yeah, I realize they're never gonna be at the CW price point, but they're definitely on the high end of the spectrum when it comes to pricing.

18. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    My brother has Intimidator so I've hand the chance to see him in hand and... I don't know. Something about him. I think he feels a tad too small. But maybe my mind is just playing tricks on me. lol.
    Doesn't matter. I like Menasor, but he's not a high priority. Bruticus on the other hand. I need a good Bruticus.

19. icemanff23

icemanff23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only MT combiner they are focusing or at least care about currently is the sg quantron. Other than that i believe they moving towards chug collectors and mp collectors. There are heaps of maketoys combiners floating around for sale still and i figure that hurts them alot for not selling out complete figs. So best to go with something that will sell fast and quick. Hence why we saw alot of big maketoys figures go on sale during black friday.

20. tractorcommande

tractorcommande Well-Known Member

I would just love for them to do superion. I love jets and transforming jets And I have all of the other combiner sets. I could consider myself done if I had superion. Anyway, I thought I read or heard somewhere that superion was going to be their next MTC release.