What were "Game Changers" in the world of third party?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ThatOneReallyTallGuy, May 16, 2024.

1. Tanafor

Tanafor Autobots at work

News Credits:
    Not really the first. People keep forgetting both Defender and MMC HoS Optimus were out at the same time. The last time I checked the boards it was even been the same month. Some shops got one first, some shops the other. So it was a tie

And yeah, Battle Rollar came first, and it was a whole transformable robot, so Defender and MMC Commander are not that relevant. Popular, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Cubex Huffer - Masterpiece Minibot and my first Transformer as an adult
    upload_2024-5-19_20-8-12.png

• Like Like x 3
  3. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Gonna hit a big "ehhh" on that one chief.

Like, it was a notable set (especially seeing tbag Hasbro copied it) but Legends 3P was a well oiled machine by the time MS Mrnasor came around.

• Like Like x 7
  4. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    sure, what combiner looked better in your opinion?

5. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    This thread is starting to derail into "what I like the most" instead of choosing 3p figures that had an impact on the 3p scene

• Like Like x 6
  6. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Really? In that case, I like Jaffa Cakes. Like, a lot. In fact, I'd happily chuck them at the bride and groom at a wedding, even if it meant less Jaffa Cakes for me, because the act of giving Jaffa Cakes is just as rewarding as the eating thereof.

7. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They all do.... It's always a question of time.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BIOMEC

News Credits:
    Yeah.. but oh well... what about the Bayverse Optimus Prime from Magnificent Mecha? Could it be (and maybe MM01) the first 3P of a new class beyond MP? Like the equivalent of a Perfect Grade Gundam?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait until the final product is released first before passing judgement.

• Like Like x 2
  10. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    While a fun idea, given the direction this thread went it would just be a poll of top 5 favorite transformers rather than most impactful figures.

11. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd consider any figure that was the first to be a "KO" that improved upon the original to be a massive game changer for sure. Every such figure I have is a delight to have.

12. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    And the world wept

I miss 3p chug

• Like Like x 1
  13. das_hermit

das_hermit Decepticons forever!

I'm going with most of what other people have already said...

FP City Commander - the one that really kicked it off.

FP Explorer & Munitioner - another upgrade set that really launched things off. Must get the non-combining remolds they did of these guys someday.

FP Defender - first full figure that really took off. I feel like the FP Insecticons deserve a mention too.

Quakewave - not my thing but launched the MP 3P scene.

Equal points to TFC Hercules and MakeToys Green Giant. First full major combiners.

Not sure what piece made Legends a major Thing, my first Legends guys and 3P piece was the Perfect Effect Reflector set. If the Legends-scale guys here say Turret and Manacle were a bigger deal then I'll take their word for it, I have them for my Encore Metroplex but haven't messed with them yet. I like the Legends guys but it's just not a major collecting focus...yet.

I'll go with Peru Kill as well, same thing - I don't know enough about the Movvieverse 3P scene to say what kicked it off.

MMC Hexatron - there are SO MANY 3P Sixshots out there now, MMC was the first IIRC. It's a niche thing but for ages there was only the G1 one.

MMC Feral Rex - I love this piece even with its age and/or flaws, but it really rebooted the 3P combiner scene and set a new level of interest that we just hadn't seen before. Plus MMC was really, really responsive to fan feedback - we forget how little the early 3P companies *cough*FansProject*cough* used to care about improving designs based on feedback.

I'm not sure which figure really launched the 3P Beast Wars options, but I'd assume it was either Perfect Effect Beast Gorira or JiangXing Winged Dragon? Either way, I'm freaking glad they did, not just because I love my Winged Dragon but because TransArt Ravage is a thing of beauty and now we have 2 great looking TM2 Dinobot options to choose from.

I really want to give a shout out to the HeadRobot's Bludgeon and Hardhead kits too, but I think FansProject kind of beat them to it. Either way I wish HeadRobots was still going, their upgrade kits were SO GOOD.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh my god I had to stop the video as soon as I saw the dude with the skull nylons on his head. Seriously? And I say this as a guy who collects transforming robot toys… grow up. Christ, that just threw my whole morning off :lol 

Annnyway… Fansproject City Commander is definitely the first and most impactful.

Maketoys Green Giant also made a huge impact with me and started the whole combiner 3P thing (not sure if the Hercules came first or not.. but Green Giant was more prominent).

• Like Like x 3
  15. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Depends on scale. If you are talking just legends at that time. IF Bruticus could be seen as better. Yeah some might say it’s more IDW comic style is weird compared to MS’s pure Sunbow style. But Bruticus is a more stable combiner. Then in terms of the trailer being the body for Menasor I believe the DX9 MP did it first. But some will say DX9 is MS today.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TFao

TFao Well-Known Member

Just because HoS came out the same month doesn’t mean it made the same impact as Defender, which is why so many have listed one and not the other. Same goes for Battle Rollar. Date of release or who made it to market first aren’t the best way to measure how much a figure may have changed the game

17. Mentalic

Mentalic Well-Known Member

You are missing out. The guy makes great content.

• Like Like x 3
  18. BIOMEC

News Credits:
    Good points, but it's incredibly G1 biased

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can’t stand it when people have annoying “Internet personalities” and this is over the top.. Maybe someday when he grows up. :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Tanafor

Tanafor Autobots at work

News Credits:
    I just think Fansprojects had already a fair amount of followers because of the Magnus armour, so the hype around Defender was a given. I don't think it changed much, there were more companies doing the same already. The 3P world would have been the same without it. Defender was popular, but I don't think it was at popular as the Magnus armour.

In fact the armour was a real game changer, it proved there was serious money in professional 3P products. Would the armour have failed, we wouldn't be here today. I can't say the same about Defender.

• Like Like x 1