What were "Game Changers" in the world of third party?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ThatOneReallyTallGuy, May 16, 2024.

1. Sandstormer

Sandstormer Setting sail for Sureshot's search party

Going to make a pitch for Fans Hobby's Double Evil - the first 3P figure I got that ticked the boxes of build, character likeness and sheer shelf presence, but was also fun to mess with despite being a gigantic fucker.

FH packed in so much playability, it made me realise masterpiece figures don't all have to be fiddly and fragile, and leave you sweating on every hinge and joint in case you break it and instantly spunk £150. (I feel the same about Power Baser, to a slightly lesser extent.)

Double Evil changed the way I view masterpieces and reminded me what I value in my figures. Not sure anyone will turn out a better Overlord TBH.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

Fanstoys Roadking was a massive change for me, Motormaster was a tractor/trailer originally but for decades all figures were just the tractor. Roadking showed that compromises like that didn't need to be accepted
    Fanstoys Terminus Giganticus, Changed scale. city bots and combiners could be giant and imposing
    Studio01 seed made Unicron, which seemed impossible before

3. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    Going by memory on these which now extends almost 15 years(?!), so maybe my impressions are wrong, but...

City Commander - the 1st in all the important ways, kind of coincided with the resurgence from the LA movie
    Quakewave - proof there might actually one day be a "complete" set of MP characters even if HasTak would never get to them all
    Type 61 Green Giant / Hercules - together they were evidence that 3P could bring us ambitious projects that went beyond a single character, and that there were unofficial designers out there with stylized vision who wanted to put their mark on Transformers
    Planet X Omega Supreme - to me, evidence that 3P companies were willing to take some big swings. This is (for the time) a big bot, from a video game design, which was barely supported by any other mainline or other 3p releases

• Like Like x 3
  4. Barebot

Barebot Well-Known Member

Fanstoys Berserk has made quite an impression so far.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Yeah all of these were first to come to my mind. I started collecting as an adult when the 3P boom happened. Back when the site had one combined toy thread for official and 3P.

I would add Iron Factory’s Metroplex add on figures which started the legends boom.

Hegemon as one of the classic and few decently aged 3P chug figures.

Peru Kill for 3P MPM done right.

Dr.Wu accessories like the Prime Star Sabers which are still used today by some.

Dr.Wu again for making micro scale figures.

Magic Square legends V1 Optimus doing a major leap in G1 legends scale Optimus figures. The rest before it were mediocre at best.

Newage Ultra Magnus was the first great example of doing a white prime with armor but keeping it toon accurate. Other companies are copying and refining what they did.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Just a couple of my favourates:

Toyworld Constructor was a game changer - established the bigger MP scale combiners with MP bots and huge combined figures. Introduced the "pants forming" style for MP combiners.

FT Omega Supreme was a huge bot in the MP style, had a unique design too. DX9 went one better with a more stable bot.

Reximus Prime really changed the game for Grimlock at an MP scale, and further advanced the OS stuff.

The Unique Toys Bayverse bots showed just how well engineered a transforming figure could be.

FT Stomp really captured everyone's attention and became a grail piece (until finally being reissued).

The recent MMC IDW Prime showed just how well articulated something could be.

Robosen Prime is licensed third party, and well, it's a transforming Prime that walks and talks!!

FT Berserk, FT Bandit and FT Chomp were game changers for how long it takes to announce then release a figure :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  7. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    For me: City Commander. Hands down.
    Up to that point I was buying garage kits and customs from the sorts Maiden Japan upgrade and parts. (No 3D printers yet so hand sculpted and resin cast parts.) I really liked the upgrade part of the 3rd party era.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

Lady Eris from MMC: At least for me.

So many Femme Transformers just can’t stand, and it’s to the point I actively prefer them just be male recolors so they can stand up cause I’m so tired of designers feeling the need to put an ass on lady robots, who don’t have an ass that would be attractive in that way (to her fellow Cybertronians) being boosted up…I just want my lady characters to stand.

I get we humans are horny…but it’s so much sexier when a woman can stand and move on her own.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  9. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    FT Bandit and the trailer for popularizing the phrase "the friendship we made along the way". It's part philosophy, part gaslighting and 100% great nonsense that can only be found at TFW2005!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

City commander:got a lot of us onboard
    Warbot defender- 1st complete 3p figure, no?
    Tfc Hercules vs Mt green giant: first 3p battle in CHUG land
    Quakewave: 3pmp is born and how gloriously!
    Mmc feral rex - combiners start getting bigger and the "CHUG+" reformatted scale is established
    Toyworld constructor - 3p mp scaled combiners size established
    Unique toys Peru kill - ushered in a new age of ambition in transformation for 3p

As for legends, I can't point to one definitive figure that started that massive movement

• Like Like x 2
  11. RameezTheElite

RameezTheElite Nemesis Prime Connoisseur

News Credits:
    There are a few off the top of my head that I can list off, for each company:

MMC's Optus Pexus: Most articulated transformer I've ever held in my hands. Speaking of hands, they're the best ever produced on a figure. The thing even transforms to a very solid and robust looking IDW Alt mode. Incredible in every way.

Newage's Megatron: Showed everyone that you can indeed shrink MP36 down to legends scale and simplify the transformation to make a convincing Megatron in both modes. Also showed how a facesculpt can make the ultimate difference in bringing out that charm and likeness of a figure to the source material.

Newage's Bumblebee: You can indeed make the best G1 bumblebee in any scale and it just happened to be at the legends scale

Iron Factory Tyrant: Most customizable Megatron ever released, amazing articulation and options that would make a car salesman drool. Iron Factory went to another level after this release

Magic Square's Optimus Prime: You can indeed integrate MP level of complexity within a Legends scaled figure and still beat out every MP Optimus prime offering, so much so that it's upscaled release is the primary choice for any MP collector looking for an Optimus Prime.

Obviously I'm nitpicking from what I own, but those are a few that come to mind

• Like Like x 4
  12. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    I think UT was the first? But only started to gain popularity with NA imo

• Like Like x 1
  13. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone brought up the DX9 Ironhide and Blurr 2-pack earlier which I think is important for getting it started for real, but obviously not to the level it is now. It should be sometime in the early NA and MS days that it really hit big. A couple of possible options are NA Flipper (still my favorite NA figure I own) or MS Optimus 1.0.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Most of the historically important releases have already been well documented by better-informed people who've been collecting a lot longer than I have, so here's a more personal game-changer: Maketoys Howling Meteor.

By the time I took interest in it, the figure had been out a while and was being scalped to high heaven, but I managed to snag one for a reasonable (ish) price and was hugely impressed by it. But it wasn't just it's blatant superiority to MP-11 that stood it out; it was the first time I'd seen the now infamous "toon" aesthetic first hand, and it changed my tastes completely. Before this I'd avoided the toon-accurate figures like the plague, but seeing those bright, bold colours, the clean sculpt, the articulation, the way it stood out from the greebles and muted tones of my other figures... It had personality, and I was immediately sold on the style. It set the figure apart from almost everything else in my collection and suddenly just having a character on the shelf wasn't enough any more; now it had to match up to Meteor, and for good or for ill, it took my collecting hobby up more than a few notches.

Alright, I know Meteor wasn't the first of that particular aesthetic and not even the best example of it, but it still made a hell of an impact on little ol' me and my modest collection. And to be honest, the figure still holds up today.

15. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Unique toys Peru kill/ lockdown was certainly one of them.

• Like Like x 4
  16. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot good game changers mentioned, let me name a few bad game changers

TFC Hercules upgrade kit: 1st upgrade kit /money grabber starting the "upgrade-kit for its own figure", just like DLC for games.

Toyworld Constructor: I hate it with a passion, because this is the beginning of an era of pants-former.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Orangeboy3030

Orangeboy3030 Headmaster

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    i feel that the Unique Toys Galvatron figure really made me realize that virtually any design can be transformable with the right designers and engineering

• Like Like x 2
  18. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

Fansproject started it all. City Commander, Swindle and Blastoff were the precursor for 3p combiners. Loved and miss their insecticons!

I would add Perfect Effect and their Reflector to the Legends scale. Those little guys are still fun to play with!

Toyworld / Zeta Pantsformers - I like the pants, it has given MP combiners a clean and realistic look.

I would say Toyseasy has put transforming ships on the map. Ships are difficult because of their narrow design. These ships don't look anemic in bot mode at all!

19. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    This is it right here. That and MT Giant. That "war" was everything. Before them, was there even a previous ground up combiner besides Hasbro kiddie attempts?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Atomic Tofu

Atomic Tofu Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    such a subjective post...I scrolled through and then exited :p 

• Like Like x 1