What was your first Optimus/Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by WishfulThinking, May 19, 2015.

1. darqen

darqen Well-Known Member

G1 optimus when I was little and when collecting older it would have been the original movie megatron. Missed out on armada, energy, cybertron and classics megatron somehow in each line.

2. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Um no... They were always intended to be entirely new characters. I think you have the Gorilla and the T-Rex confused with the Bat and the Alligator. Those guys where intended to be G1 Optimus Prime and Megatron but I think they were later made into entirely different characters. Beast Wars, the cartoon, I've heard was originally not even meant to be connected to G1 at all but there were connections even early on in the series. Like the fact that the Maximals and Predacons clearly know about Earth and thinking they landed on the wrong planet because of the second moon.

I do believe all those guys were intended to be incarnations of Optimus Prime, not the same character as G1 Optimus Prime because they can't be but alternate universe or descendants because they clearly share the same or similar design traits as Optimus Prime... Megatron, not so much. I kind feel like they just slap his name on whoever is the bad guys leader.

3. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

I think it was G2 optimus prime. I remember getting it from Price Club, now Costco.

For megatron, I really don't remember. My best guess would be beast wars, transmetal megatron.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    The first wave of Beast Wars characters, including ape Primal and T-Rex Megatron, were intended to be an extension of the G1-verse. The cartoon made the deviation, yes, but Kenner already had Primal and Megatron planned preceding the television show. That's why I'm okay with counting them. Also, I believe the Japanese translation of the show considers Primal to actually be Convoy, IIRC...making Primal a very "gray" area. And even if you toss all of that out, Primal does unite his spark with Prime's briefly and Megatron merges his with G1 Megatron in season 3. Lots of fudging...

I'm cutting off Rodimus because he's clearly not even remotely intended to be Optimus. Galvatron could theoretically get a pass...but his toy bio makes him a different character entirely from Megatron...but there is grey area there, too.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Yeah but it was the Bat and the Aligator who were originally planned to be G1 Optimus and Megatron. The Gorilla and the T-Rex were always intended to be new characters. There was suppose to be a council of different Primes who all shared Optimus' helmet design which was used in Japan hence Lio Convoy and Big Convoy. The Bat is the only one who was actually intended to be G1 Optimus upgraded as a Maximal. The others would of all been new characters. The bat I believe was later changed so he too became an entirely new character having nothing to do with G1 Optimus.

Nope. This is a little confusing considering in the U.S. Both the Gorilla and the Bat are Named Optimus Primal so it's difficult to distinguish between the two just calling them by name. Also Convoy refers to MANY different characters in Japan. Only G1 Optimus Prime was called "Convoy" just by itself with no prefix. Optimus Primal, the Gorilla was called Beast Convoy in Japan. Optimus Primal, the Bat was called Convoy in Japan. The bat is the one who was actually intended to be G1 Optimus Prime not the Gorilla.

I totally count Galvatron because in every American cartoon series he is an upgrade of Megatron.

6. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde TRANSformer

News Credits:
    G! for christmas. I'm og as a mofo.

7. Bumblebee78

Bumblebee78 Well-Known Member

G1 Megatron / PowerMaster Optimus Prime

8. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

actually, for the first season of Beat Wars, in Japan, the the shows translators thought the gorilla was G1 convoy.

9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

G1 Optimus Prime

Actionmaster Megatron. Though G1 Galvatron was my first Decepticon do not sure if he counts.

Ended up getting AM Prime because having Megatron half the size of Prime was annoying.

10. Rewbot12

Rewbot12 Well-Known Member

G1 Optimus. Bought'em back in 1990.

As for Megs, it was the G2 Hero Megatron.

11. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Armada Bendy Prime. Didnt get my first Megatron until Beast Hunters Sharkticon Megatron.