What was your first feeling when prime died in rotf?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Fc203, May 25, 2020.

1. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

Nothing. I knew it wouldn't stick and was already frustrated by the movie at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dezepticon

Dezepticon Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    I seem to remember the guy who played the English NEST agent tweeting during filming that they had just filmed the scene where they (unceremoniously!) drop OP's body at the base, so knew it was coming...

3. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember hearing that. I thought it was maybe they get betrayed and the humans are forced to put him bu director douchebag Galloway.

4. Dezepticon

Dezepticon Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Yeah, I'm not 100% certain which actor/character it was but I remember my wife telling me and I was like "that won't last"

5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think there was shock at first, but I never doubted that he wouldn't stay dead for very long.

6. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    The thing is, key shots in trailers as well as specific toys in the toyline spoiled that Optimus Prime would appear alive again later on in the film. It takes a lot away from the death if you know for sure he's coming back (if it wasn't obvious to begin with). That being said, I don't remember having any sort of emotional reaction to the scene.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

He's only a kid himself.

I never liked Optimus Prime or Bumblebee until the 07 movie. I was glad Prime died in the 86 movie but I was only 11 when I saw it.

When Prime died in ROTF, I was too busy being pissed at how bad this sequel was considering how much I enjoyed the first movie.

Between the horrible designs of the Twins, Demolisher having a unicycle instead of legs, Sam's parents being made so silly after being so likeable in the previous film and worst of all, Sam's gratingly annoying flatmate, Leo I left the cinema fuming and didn't look at anything Transformers related for a week. I was very close to giving up on the franchise.

8. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or just any continuity you know he will end up dying then coming back later on

• Like Like x 2
  9. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I freaked out badly. Pretty sure I skipped lunch that day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Agree with this completely. I'm a year older than you, Rotf was the first Transformers movie I saw in theaters, it's what got me into the whole thing. But I don't actually remember watching it. I never feel anything when he dies because he doesnt get much character development.

But I cried when Tony Stark died. He had an amazing character arc over the whole series. Started the Mcu being selfish and arrogant, ended it with the most selfless act possible. The only other time I cry like that in a movie is whenever I watch Interstellar. That movie makes me bawl. The scene where he has to watch his kids grow up, and then "don't let me leave, Murph!" always get me

• Like Like x 1
  11. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I saw Prime die in the 80s. That was devastating. ROTF not so much.

12. Minibots

Minibots Greetings

I was shocked and then confused. Didn’t really feel sad. I was mainly surprised. I also had the same reaction to Ironhide’s death.

13. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

I was away at a summer camp and had bought the Novelization and read ahead so I knew he wasn't going to stay dead

14. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    I cried!

... when he came back to life!!!! :angry:

• Like Like x 1
  15. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

By that point, I had already seen him die and come back three times (G1, Armada, Animated), so I thought, "Eh, he'll be fine." I was not wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  16. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The impact of the scenes were WAY different.
    I don't think anyone didn't believe Prime was coming back in RotF. It later became about "we need Optimus back" while the '86 movie was ok who's leading us now? Although I still think many believed (like myself) that OP was coming back for the climax of the '86 movie, once the movie ends, and the realization kicks in that OMG Optimus isn't coming back, then you grasp the scope of him dying.

It would have been ballsy of Paramount to kill OP and have him stay dead for a few films, at least trying to convince the audience that OP isn't coming back, but financially would not have been smart for the future of the franchise, since it would have likely been down to handing leadership to Bee, and he couldn't talk, though I believe they would have done away with that.

17. Revoticus

Revoticus Splitting headache

The only thing on my mind at the time was how gruesome they made Grindor's death was since that scene came before Prime's death.

• Like Like x 2
  18. HoneyPrime

HoneyPrime ♥♥ Smokescreen ♥♥

Okay, I'll admit it, I cried. I cry every time he dies. I always think to myself that he will be back (because he always is), but there is always that little thought in the back of my head "What if he doesn't come back this time?"

I really had the waterworks on for Rachet and Ironhide deaths.