What was up with the Silverbolt/Blackarachnia/Cheetor love triangle?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proud Nintendo, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

I really don't know what they were thinking about this and it's not really resolved, just kinda forgotten about, were they just trying to flare up tensions between the Maximals?

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    The only reason Cheetor ever showed interest in BA was because he was maturing. It was less about a love triangle and more about Cheetor himself growing and changing as a person and how that affected the people around him, and I think the writers dropped the idea because it wasn't worth starting up something that wouldn't be finished. (Since at that point BW prospects of a fourth season were nebulous) Cheetor's arc managed to resolve just fine without it so I think it goes to show why it was dropped.

• Like Like x 8
  3. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

I don't really know.

In fact, I always found BW Silverbolt to be a very superfluous and unnecessary character. He is the only BW character that I just wasn't fond of. He just didn't add anything to the plot, there wasn't anything he could do that any of the other characters couldn't do and he wasn't interesting at all.

I always felt that they wanted someone to fill the void that Tigatron and Dinobot were gonna leave behind, but honestly, Silverbolt just isn't as good as those two.

I liked him way better in Beast Machines, where I was at least invested in what was going on with him, but I honestly felt that he wasn't a very outstanding character in BW.

Plus, Cheetor and Blackarachnia would have worked much better since there was a lot of tension between them for quite a portion of the show.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

I actually remember really liking Silverbolt but I can definitely see where you’re coming from. Maybe if he has stayed a predacon a little longer he would’ve been more unique as a noble knight serving a corrupt liege.

• Like Like x 6
  5. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    How long has it been since you've seen BW, OP? No offense but it seems all of your (frequent) threads are questions the show answers pretty easily. Either way it's always worth a rewatch.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Proud Nintendo

Proud Nintendo Well-Known Member

Currently on a rewatch of it now, just finished Season 2 and about to start Season 3. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Furm-inated

They continue this thread in Beast Machines actually. Cheetor has grown up into an effective field commander and gotten over BA but Silverbolt still displays a particular disdain for Cheetor after his return. He shows greater contempt for Cheetor than he did for any other Maximals and I always figured that jealousy factor could have been a motivator. They never did resolve their beef in Beast Wars proper. Blackarachnia is the one to vouch for Cheetor with Silverbolt too.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    It was less of a love triangle and more of just Cheetor having a teenage crush on Blackarachnia, at least that's how I saw it.

• Like Like x 15
  9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Because the writers were incels and needed to project their lackluster mating life through robots who should have had no reason for such actions.

10. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    Same here, especially since it never went anywhere beyond that. Cheetor got over it and moved on.

Or the writers wanted to portray a character maturing by showing him expressing an interest in the opposite sex, a universal sign of a character growing past childhood and the "boys are icky/girls have cooties" stage. As for them being incels who can't deal with it, the fact that Cheetor's crush was treated as nothing but a crush, and he didn't get the girl - because she was already spoken for and loyal - disproves that assertion.

• Like Like x 10
  11. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Nope, he and Dinobot were the only characters I found really cool and of course Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Yeah, well, as I explained before, I never found Silverbolt interesting in BW. He just didn't bring anything to the table that the other characters didn't.

13. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

It's resolved on Cheetor's end when TM2 Cheetor gets past his childhood crush on Blackarachnia, and on Blackarachnia and Silverbolt's end in Beast Machines when they finally acknowledge how much Cheetor has matured.

Cheetor was never actually a contender for Blackarachnia's romantic interest, so the only thing to resolve was that Cheetor needed to grow up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  14. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    ... by using asexual robots who wouldn't have those biological precedents. Thus, incels living vicariously through their creations.

So the nerdy awkward kid didn't get the girl because reasons. Seems par for the course. And fits the pining friend trope as well.

15. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Cheetor isn't "the nerdy, awkward kid", he's just "the kid". His crush on Blackarachnia was no different than a high school student having a crush on his teacher or whatever.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    @G1Prowl Stop it. You're being extremely rude and dismissive.

• Like Like x 6
  17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Real hot take there, guy.

You’re embarrassing yourself.

Ignoring the massive leap of logic of “these are robots which, by our definition, have nothing akin to a sex drive means even the smallest implication of attraction between them MUST mean the writers are sexually frustrated” the show never took it anywhere. It was just one of many aspects of Cheetor’s maturation, which is also something a robot shouldn’t do. Robots shouldn’t be able to feel, mature, learn, or any number of things they do in Transformers. Showing romantic interest in one another is a staple of the brand, “intelligent robots who can think and feel” and all that.

I know what you’re doing. You’re trying to compare this to IDW 1’s “everybody hooks up and is married by the end and there’s a million Latin terms for it” but this is not that. This was a fleeting, very shallow, mini-arc for the character that served to exemplify his maturation, nothing more. It never went anywhere, and was likely never planned to either. They got exactly enough mileage out of it as it had and then moved on.

Especially when you take into considering how tongue-in-cheek so much of Beast Wars is, the writers probably considered it hilarious that he’d even go through “cyber-puberty.” (Which is literally the exact joke Rattrap makes)

• Like Like x 9
  18. G1Prowl

News Credits:
    It's almost like I knew posting something negative in a BW thread would incur blowback...

So one facet of something that logically shouldn't have happened dismisses my entire argument while ignoring the entire body of my argument?

Someday when I have suitable free time and energy remind me to show you what "extremely rude and dismissive" REALLY looks like.

I'm not embarrassing myself. I have an opinion about a facet of the fiction I've had a grievance with since the first use in Sunbow. It won't ever hand wave it away, nor will I give BW a pass because sacred cow or whatever. Point is, BW had an embarrassing level of overhumanization in its series that is simply accepted as par for the course, and goes hand in hand with the apparent verboten criticisms of the show. I have a grocery list of stuff that makes BW every bit as fallible as other series, but nobody wants to accept it.

19. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

What are you even talking about?

Look, you seem to want to paint Cheetor as some sort of incel self-insert character and that just simply isn't the case. Cheetor is an impulsive yet well-meaning kid who often makes dumb mistakes because he wants to prove himself, who then eventually grows up and learns discipline and self control, and along the way he has a brief crush on an adult female teammate, which he gets over as he matures. That's all it is.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That's the way I saw it.

• Like Like x 3