What was the moment you knew that AOE was terrible?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by general saberwi, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime Well-Known Member

It wasn't terrible, it was great. That's all there is to it.

2. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

Seeing the human drama.

3. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The chase scene with Optimus and Lockdown ending in the death of Lucas. When Lockdown's seed grenade went off and killed that hipster doofus, I actually laughed out loud in the theater. I suppose that scene was meant to be shocking and tragic but the character was so silly and unlikeable that I couldn't help but laugh when he got burnt to a crisp. Was kinda downhill from there for me.

This is not to say that AOE's box office returns and its merch weren't beneficial to the Transformers brand (mo' money means mo' Classics and mo' Masterpieces) but as a film itself, I rank it pretty close to ROTF in how bad it was. The first movie and DOTM are still the best and most enjoyable live action films for me. Maybe it's the curse of the even numbered movie sequels. I'm hoping TF5 will be better.

4. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    When we first see them in the cab at the start of the scene, Optimus has miles of empty desert road ahead of him. We don't see them again until after Optimus has scanned the truck, which is right in front of and then beside him.

I say that's plenty of time for them to decide it was getting a bit chilly and put their jackets on. Plus, they grabbed a bunch of clothes from the abandoned gas station and had those in the cab with them anyway.

You may now once more fully enjoy one of the best scenes in the movie.

You're welcome!

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I just rewatched the scene for the umpteenth time...

The only way your posed explanation works is if that scene is one of the most horribly edited sequences in the history of movies. Which, sadly, also does not allow me to enjoy it.

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's fair to allow the filmmakers some leeway in trimming down scenes for brevity and directness in an already long movie, especially regarding scenes of a truck driving down an empty road when that's already what the REST of the scene is about too, lol.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    The scene is >1 minute long in a 2.5+ hour movie. And, it's important to remember, is pretty significant. It should have been handled much, much better, and any way there is to look at it, it wasn't.

8. Nubs

Nubs Master-D

I loved the movie overall but the aerial battle with Crosshairs and Bumblebee was overlong and forgettable, and I honestly didn't give half a poop about the dinobots showing up at the end and would have been content if they were cut out altogether.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, I guess the main reason I disagree is that I see that whole scene as being the tail-end of the musical montage preceding it. You're saying you think it was poor editing which made it appear as if their clothes magically change when Optimus transforms alt. modes but I'm saying it already set us up to understand the passage of time with the whole Imagine Dragons musical montage immediately before it.

We already know they're condensing that whole day and hundreds of miles of driving into a montage where Cade hacks the drone overnight, packs up and leaves the gas station the next morning, finds an atm in a desert, and Attinger gets Case's message...so seeing that they'd already changed clothes since then and had an empty stretch of road ahead of them before passing a car later in different clothes again (basically having put on jackets at sunset before building a fire later) seemed completely reasonable as a part of the day's montage sequence.

We didn't see them change clothes either but we could see their clothes change and we knew they packed extra and understood it was just an overview of their day so w/e. We also never saw them exit Optimus before he transforms after that but we see they weren't crushed to death so we can assume it happened off-camera and move along, lol.

Also, seeing as the point of the scene is to show them on the run all day and teaming-up with the reunited, remaining Autobots, I don't begrudge the filmmakers the freedom to speed things along to get to the point already.

Hmm.

I wouldn't have minded a few extra scenes of Tessa changing her clothes, though, now that you mention it.

;) 

10. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

I'd like to start by saying that a minor continuity error like clothes changing between shots is not that big a deal, and certainly not AoE's breaking point.

But, I'm 100% sure that that's what happened. There are zero cinematic context clues, outside of the (minutely) different scenery and the wardrobe change that says, "Hey, this is a different scene!". Discrepancies like this are super common in Bay's filmography (worst instance is the forest fight; literally no character is in the same place or doing the same thing between any shot), and there's absolutely no reason to assume that this barely noticeable change indicates a scene transition.

Beyond that, on the off chance you are right? Wow, that is the worst editing in cinematic history! The movie is doing nothing to indicate that this isn't a direct sequence of events, especially considering that there was no "montage" beforehand, just a straight sequence. If that was honestly the intention, and they were just relying on guesswork on the audience's parts to fill in the gaps... Bravo, Mr. Bay, you've reached new heights of not giving a shit.

11. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you.

12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

The Chicago skyline showing up a few times while they were supposedly IN CHINA, was a pretty major editing error.

I also had to laugh at some of the contradictions. Over the course of the 4 films, we had Prime saying whole GENERATIONS of Cybertronians were lost. We also have Prime saying he pretty much raised Bee, and has/is dealing with the rebellious teen thing. Then there was Starscream and his ship full of developing sparklings, still in their artificial wombs. Only to then have Lockdown tell Prime that Cybertronians aren't born, they were built by the creators. :lol 

We did get a few good lines out of AOE though:

Punch, Hold, Slide, Repeat
    I Was Expecting A Giant Car
    I Hate Cheap Knockoffs
    We're Giving You Freedom.....Defend My Family, Or Die
    I'm Like A Fat Ballerina

13. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    No one said it was a scientific fact, but I guess this snarky post was well deserved since there are those who dared to not like what you like.

For me, the points where it became irredeemable was mostly addressed by others. I have to add that the fight between Grimlock and Prime was a total letdown. Sure, the trailers hyped it up and made me excited just to see it. But in the movie? They made Grimlock look like a little bitch. That was the nail in the coffin.

14. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    It was either that, or Optimus' transformation literally changed the wardrobe of the humans, too. I'm not sure which is worse, but the way the scene was edited (to me, at least) makes it not a continuity error, but Optimus having magical powers.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

Given he has inexplicable flight powers from just a sword, I wouldn't rule out magic at this point.

16. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Sausage puns are the wurst

News Credits:
    we were all " wtf?" when he suddenly gain rocket boots at the end.

17. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    The sword helped him realize that he's a transformer. That being said, he figured his feet can transform to include a mini rocket pack. He no longer needs to borrow Sideswipe's nor does he need to cannibalize another robot in order to fly. And he doesn't need his stinking trailer that's filled with all kinds of kick ass weapons n stuff either.

How's that for an explanation? :D 

18. Matt-o-matic

Matt-o-matic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going with magic, it explains a lot in the movies....

19. bumblebeej8

bumblebeej8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The thing that killed it for me mostly was the Romeo and Juliet clause.

Other than that, I was fine with the movie.

"Lucky Charms" hehe.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Man... eyes opened!