What was the deal with product placement in Transformers 4?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by griffn29, Aug 19, 2014.

1. TheMixmaster

TheMixmaster Master of Mixin

Product placement is fine in a movie as long as it doesn't take me out of it. Stanley Tucci holding up a Beats Pill and Mark Whalberg taking a whole 10 seconds to drink a bottle of Bud Lite really deliberately did actually take me out of it. I think the Victoria's Secret one is an example of adequate product placement, since it wasn't the focal point of the scene.

2. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    Product placement doesn't bother me unless it completely grinds the movie to a halt for a commercial. The real world is crammed with brands everywhere, it would look weird if there wasn't any. Even the beer scene didn't bother me, it was like 3 seconds. Now Star Trek 2009, that was some out of place product placement.

3. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I don't care about product placement. But movies to make them seem more real have to have them.

I find fictional products with a similar logo and/or color scheme of a real product, in a scene more jarring.

4. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    I wasn't bothered by it in this movie. I didn't think it was too in your face, except for the Shuhua milk one, but I liked that as a reference to DotM. I liked the Oreo bot (Cookietron? Twistor? Dunkor?) just as much as I liked Dispensor. It was definitely not the most distracting product placement I've seen--like in Superman (1978) where the room in the Kent farmhouse is totally dark accept for a spotlight on the Cheerios box.

5. BladeStorm

BladeStorm All Prime, All the time!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think it is the unreal placement of the products that annoyed me.

eg. Since when does someone who is an invetor living in Texas have a Chinese banks credit card?

or drinking a milk or bottle of water that isn't even available in the country you're sitting or driving around in...

That annoys me more than that actual placement of ads. Although I have to say the Bud light scene was too "in your face" for me.

They may as well have gotten Optimus to pick up a bottle of Caltex Oil and swig it down, wiping his mouth afterwards and proclaiming "That'll be with me all the way". It would certainly be an image that would stay with people.

6. EWATSON96

EWATSON96 Decepticon Commander

Micheal Bay said it for the first movie, they could not have made the film without sponsorship/product placement. Without product placement money, AOE would not have been made because there would not be enough money to finish it.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    We Got To Have, Money! - YouTube

Product placement is unavoidable in a film where the cast disguise themselves as actual everyday objects, and not every "real" object is necessarily there purely to plug something, but a lot of things in these films feel like they exist solely because, well, the above ^^^
    Why turn a gun into a Beats Pill, why the garbage truck robots, why China? $$$

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Product Placement usually doesn't bother me but that goddamn milk scene....ugh. :banghead: 

9. AlexMalex

AlexMalex That one guy.

Capitalism, ladies and gentlemen.

10. Metroplex79

I have some Vitasoy milk in my fridge...

:lol 

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Product placement's typically a non-issue with me on every single count, but Beats was the only one that felt odd for me.

I kind of liked that one for the sheer callback factor of the one in DOTM.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The not so secret secret about Hollywood is that for all the glitz and glamor Hollywood isn't doing so good. They need product placement and going outside of Hollywood for filming tax breaks to make enough money to keep going. With lower and lower box office results in the US companies feel like they have Hollywood by the short hairs and they can demand more prominent product placement than they have in the past.

The problem is that product placement isn't always as creative as Dispensor so it's just another one of the annoying things about a trip to the theater. Not only adds before the film but ads all during the film as well. Might as well stay home and watch TV if it's wall to wall ads.

13. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Didn't notice that and first time I've even heard it mentioned lol

14. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    Exactly.

15. Metroplex79

I'm going to guess (based on what I saw), that he was so down on his luck, that every major US bank had turn him down for loans...he had to use one of the smaller banks who were willing to take a risk on him.

Psst, AOE was not meant to be just viewed in North America.

Transformers IS a product placement...from a certain point of view...

:lol 

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah I know it was meant to appeal to China but in reality this should have been able to appeal to everyone internationally all over the world.

17. Galvatron III

Galvatron III Decepticon God!

The deal was mon-eh

18. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Never mind. I just saw that beer scene again and it wasn't as blatant as I remember it being. My argument no longer has any footing, sorry for getting everyone's feathers ruffled.

19. Henners

Henners Sonicron

Ebay:
    you mean a 2.5 hour TOY COMMERCIAL has MORE commercials hidden inside? Huh, I didn't expect that from the film franchise that digitally added MORE CISCO logos to the first movie's DVD release.

20. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

No kidding what's the difference anyway? They are both watered down wannabe beers. Call me when they advertise Newcastle!