What tone should transformers cartoons have.

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Jun 2, 2020.

?

What tone should transformers cartoons be

1. Kid friendly-ex robots in disguise 2015, rescue bots, robots in disguise 2001.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dark- ex transformers prime, beast machines, prime wars trilogy, WFC Trilogy .

4.9%
  3. Balanced tone-ex g1, beast wars, animated, cyberverse,.

95.1%
  1. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 tfsomegaguy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I think it should be balanced not too serious and not too kid friendly.

2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, for me, it should be a balanced tone. Maybe start the series with a light-hearted tone, and then, as seasons progress, you can add more darker stuff into it. Let it grow with the audience.

In fact, I feel it should be a mix between Beast Machines (who I personally always felt was a bit more balanced than other people think, since there was some wacky hijinks coming from Rattrap and the Vehicons) and RiD 2001.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Looking at the examples in the poll, I really wouldn't describe either Prime or Beast Machines as "dark". But to answer the question though, I'll take any of the three so long as the product is good.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 tfsomegaguy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I put prime and beast machines there because they have a more serious tone than others.

5. seanismyname

seanismyname Well-Known Member

I agree something balanced, but I won’t COMPLAIN if the show has a dark tone, whereas if it’s too kid-friendly I’ll lose interest

• Like Like x 1
  6. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    WdIeKEt.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they should be dark but not edgy something like prime it was dark but it didn’t shy away from having humor

• Like Like x 1
  8. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

The advantage of Transformers is that it doesn't have to have a single tone. You can have a more lighthearted and fun series or a more grim and gritty series and either is just as valid. And eventually those singular series run the risk of developing the issues related with a continuous assault of a singular tone. Your dark and gritty series become oppressively dour and so unfun that it becomes hard to care about the characters. The fun and more kid-friendly series take themselves so non-seriously that nothing ever matters and it's hard to invest in anything. And while balance is nice and all, but if the show is forever balanced then it runs the risk of being branded as 'safe' or unafraid to step outside itself.

The fact that the show reboots itself every so often with a new series is the perfect opportunity to explore those paths without serious risk. Maybe it means that not every series is for every fan but it also means there's a better chance that at some point each fan will find a series that works for them.

So I think the answer is "none of the above"

• Like Like x 9
  9. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Mostly balanced, but I recall finding RiD01 a delightful change after the doom and gloom of BM, so I guess the occasional comedic series is ok. Or individual humorous episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    I want a show that's mature for adults and older kids to enjoy, but also isn't dark and edgy enough to scare away younger children. It's possible to have mature themes in a kids show, writers just need to find the right balance.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess prime is the closest to what you want it was dark but it wasn’t edgy at all

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toad84

Toad84 Well-Known Member

I think they should have two simultaneously. One made for those 11 and under (that those older can still enjoy) that would be for broadcast on like Cartoon Network; and then another that runs multiple seasons on Netflix that has a more adult and darker tone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'd say G1 era thinking in story and look of G1. I think that draws more folks like myself to want the admission fee to pay and buy the figures.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For tv I think it should be family friendly and a little dark. But for streaming services it should be more for adults with a darker tone.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I think they should have whatever tone fits the individual show. Some should be darker, some should be lighter. Some should be more serious, some should be more comedic. Some should be aimed at younger kids, and some should be aimed at older audiences. For me, it's mostly just a matter of what tone fits a particular show. If you were to apply one tone to all the shows, the brand would get very boring.

Although I would say I personally prefer Transformers shows not go too serious. When you're dealing with a premise that involves alien space robots with names like "Bumblebee" and "Starscream", it's important to have some levity and self-awareness. If you go too serious, it kind of shines a spotlight on how goofy the brand ultimately is.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cliffjumper

Cliffjumper Least insane TF fan

News Credits:
    Have 2 or 3 shows at once for all those themes!

Like how wwithin this year we have Siege, Cyberverse, and rescue bots Academy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    Balanced because it can give you the best of both worlds, like Avatar: The Last Airbender or the 2012 TMNT series.

Due to the kind of setting Transformers typically has with themes like war, the obvious power difference between our species and theirs, loss, trauma and so forth, darkness would come naturally as a result of these things, meaning you wouldn't really have to try hard to achieve it. But you need moments of levity and humor sprinkled throughout, I think too much of either can be off-putting.

One episode could be about Bluestreak's backstory and how his trauma contributes to his jokey and talkative nature, but another could be about Bee and some Autobots getting stuck within an online game and the chaos that would ensue as a result. The show also needs a good balance of more heavy story / plot driven episodes that move the larger story along and episodes that allow the characters to breathe and live in the world and interact with each-other.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I'd love to see a show that did this. Bluestreak has a lot of potential that's never really been used, and the idea of the Autobots getting stuck in an online game is hilarious.

• Like Like x 2
  19. seanismyname

seanismyname Well-Known Member

I also don’t need ultraviolence (the “blood” in Prime seems excessive in hindsight) but killing a character off every once in a while WITHOUT bringing them back to life raises the stakes. A show like RID 2015 is amusing but you know nothing really bad is gonna happen to any of the main cast.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Agent Maryland

Agent Maryland Active Member

So, Asuka from Evangelion, but without the more disturbing aspects?