What to do with my old iPad?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Not-so-quick question: what do I do with my 1st gen iPad?

I just checked and found out apparently Apple decided to phase out the 1st gen iPad, so I can't get iOS6.

I also can't sell the iPad, because guess what? I want to seek because no iOS6, no one wants to buy it because of, you guessed it, no iOS6. And without the money from a sale, I can't upgrade to a newer model either.

I have a TF201 Android tablet to cover my tablet needs, and I'll probably try to get another tablet anyway to see if Windows 8 is any good/to get one with a stylus/some other random reason to burn cash. EDIT: obviously even if I could afford it, I'm not buying another iPad, as that would make my current one even more outdated and defeat the point of this thread.

So...obviously I'm keeping it for access to the App Store, but is there anything I can do to make my iPad....not so outdated? Most new apps just won't run without iOS6, it's already outclassed in specs by my TF201... I want to like my iPad, but it's just so...

...argh...help? Aside from a really expensive paperweight or digital photo frame, I don't know what I can really use this thing for. Ideas?

2. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jailbreak?

3. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

You could look into Apple's Recycle program... Depending on whether or not they decide it has monetary value, they can get you an Apple gift card for it, or at least a discount towards buying another one. But there really is no way to update an iPad that Apple no longer supports... without jail breaking it.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I'm sure you could sell it even without being able to run iOS6.

5. Treadshot A1

Hmm...conveniently when I try to follow the Get Started link on the Recycling page, it comes up as Page Not Found. I'm following Apple's links, on my Apple iPad.... :(  If I could get some money for it, then upgrading would be a possibility.

As much as I'm tempted to Jailbreak, I don't quite get how that would help. I'm mainly annoyed because I want new apps, which happen to require iOS6 as a minimum. I don't know if Jailbreaking can get around that, while being legal. I don't want to upgrade this thing enough to warrant doing anything illegal on it.

6. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which iPad do you have exactly? The ones I'm seeing on eBay have been selling for around $250-280 and those are the 16gb Wi-Fi only iPads. Half the price of the new iPad is certainly better than nothing. Especially when you're going from 1st Gen to 4th Gen. Most electronics won't even be that much when the newer ones are far better.

7. Treadshot A1

64 GB, Wifi + 3G. Basically the best damn 1st gen iPad you could buy at the time.

Thing is, I won't want to buy an iPad if I sell it. If Apple would phase this one out (instead on letting it become antiquated on its own like other companies do), then buying another iPad would only lead to the same conundrum a few years down the track. I'd rather put it towards a Windows 8 or Android tablet, as those usually don't get left in the dust so quickly.

I'm not yet wanting to give up the App Store entirely, if only because a few apps (Skylanders mostly) are exclusive to it and because I have free stuff that I don't feel like buying on Android (got Mini Motor Racing when it was being offered for free, I'd have to buy it on another platform). I'd rather see if I could do anything to make this thing better, before selling it.

The other issue is that frankly I don't know if I can sell the thing. You can ask anything you want on eBay, but whether you get it or not is another matter entirely. And if a basic one goes for 250, then mine would be about 320-350, which...well, why would anyone buy mine when for that price (plus $50 or so) you could get a brand new tablet?

Basically, it's not worth it to sell it, unless Apple takes it back for a reasonable amount.

8. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well its not like a limited U2 edition or whatever so I don't see it selling for more later. People will care more about the HDD space than it having 3G. So you're either just gonna keep it or wait later and sell it for even less. 2 years from now, the 64GB 4th Gen iPad with retina display may end up selling for $300-350. By that time, your iPad will probably only be worth 100-150. I think the thing with electronics is, the longer you have it, the less its value will be later. If someone wanted my old 64 GB iPad for $50 less than a new 16GB iPad, I wouldn't question it, because if thats seriously the highest I can get, then I'd take it.

I get the whole app thing, I miss alot of the free and purchased apps I've gotten when I was an iPhone user for like 3-4 years. I owned an iPad for a month a few months back and it was great to have those apps again and play with the iOS.

I'm not familiar with the 1st Gen iPad hardware, but if its not fast enough to run iOS6 at decent speed, then Apple shouldn't bother trying to release it since it'll just cause problems for users.

Also, I checked that recycle program and this is the estimate they are willing to give you for it if it is in pristine condition:

Apple iPad 64GB (Wi-Fi + 3G)

FREE shipping - yes
    FREE packaging - yes
    Are there any cracks or damage to either the display or case? - No
    Are there light to moderate scratches or scuffs on either the display or case? - No
    Has the iPad been water damaged? - No
    I have -
    Removed all content and settings
    Supplied the power cord
    Does the battery fully charge? - Yes
    Does the iPad work properly? - Yes
    Has the back cover been engraved? - No

Estimate provided by PowerON:
    $140.00

9. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wait wait wait, the first generation iPad was released in early 2010...

Are Apple seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY telling us that a $500 device isn't even going to last three years? It's like they're actively trying to find ways to piss off their customer base and alienate everyone else.

10. Treadshot A1

Wow, thanks for the info. That is what my iPad is like, and if it will bring 140, then I'll just keep it as my go-to-iOS device. At least it'll run apps I got for free during discounts so I won't have to buy them again on Google Play. I think it's worth more than 140 for what it can do right now, though given the choice I'm not sure I'd buy one for that much.

I don't know why it won't run the new software, but if Apple is so good at making their iOS different on iPod vs iPhone vs iPad (Wifi hotspot all over again), then surely they could have just made one that's slightly reduced in speed to compensate for 1st gen specs. I don't even see any need for most apps to force iOS 6 (I was looking at an app that has a computer variant, and judging by the computer version, it's simple and requires little in the way of OS upgrades), so I would have appreciated a reduced version. [/pointless rant for the sake of ranting]

My only concern is this: From a year or so before I got my iPad, I have had a 3rd Gen iPod Touch. That got phased out along with the iPad when iOS 6 came out, but I wasn't too annoyed when iOS 6 was confirmed to not work on the iPod because frankly the thing couldn't even hold its charge any more (not that it did that particularly well anyway). Charge it up to full, I have to be lucky to get a day out of it. Hell, even on sleep with only Safari in the background and it wouldn't last more than 4 hours now. It lasted 3 or 4 days when it was new. I've had older technology where the battery still works, I don't get why my iPod would fail so quickly. I checked the battery replacement cost and it costs as much to replace the battery as it does to buy a new iPod!

I just don't want the same to happen to my iPad. Every time I charge it it worries me how many more times I can do that before it screws up.

Anyone know if Apple batteries just die like that, or if my iPod was just a once-off problem? The fact Apple even has a battery replacement service doesn't fill me with confidence, so if it's common, is there any way/are there any tips to prolong the battery's working life? I don't want to end up with a dead iPad, cause then it won't even be worth 140. :( 

That said, 140 is not enough to warrant getting rid of it. I have a better tablet to use so I'm not desperate to upgrade the thing. It just annoys me. A lot.

I always tried to see the best in Apple, I even say that the iPad has a really nice user experience if you have no need for functionality. This put them past that line. It's no longer inconvenient, it's downright evil. The machine still works (no issues that I've noticed aside from the odd app crashing...repeatedly...damn Binary Mill... :(  ), it's only software that killed it.

It's not like I was going to buy iDevices ever again, but now I can't even keep this one as anything more than a paperweight.

I'm glad I upgraded to Android. :) 

11. Treadshot A1

Yes! I finally found a use for this iPad!!!

I installed the Free Light app today.

My Galaxy S3 and Asus TF201 Tablet both got flashlight apps today, as I needed some white lights.

Now, even though my iPad doesn't have a camera (and thus no flash), I can still make the screen white to use it as a third white light!

Makes photography so much easier when you have lights which are actually white. :) 

Anyways, mods can close this thread now. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :)