What the hell is up with these factories as of late?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I did a little positivity today, now a bit of negativity.

What the fuck is going on with these Chinese factories of late. Seems like every figure I am looking at has some form of delay due to factory fuck ups.

Is this just the norm, and now coming to light a bit more? Seriously, when was the last time a factory didn't screw the pooch?

2. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I'm sure this happens to TT/Hasbro as well - except they don't come on tfw2005 and say, "hey guys sorry for the delay - there's been a screw-up at one of our factories."

You hear it more from 3P because they actually communicate with us (most do ).

Also I can only imagine half of the workers who work in these factories don't want to be there.

3. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Well, whatever it really is, we may not actually really ever know unless an insider that has worked with a few 3rd party actually gives us the scoops on the 3rd party and factory behind the scene world, from a few perspectives.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I am sure it happens at Hasbro and TT. Sometimes you can see it on the figures themselves.

5. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Ayup. Also, isn't it the start of the rainy season or some such there (the dad-in-law in Japan says it's been raining nearly non-stop there in his neck of the woods)? The weather and humidity especially can muck up production far more than one could imagine (paint drying, for example, as reported by Custom Robots not-Revoltech figures taking an exceedingly long time to dry). The fandom should learn to have a little freakin' patience.

6. Ghilz

Ghilz Derpticon

I'll play devils' advocate (Mostly coz Alucard77 somehow didn't - seriously, I feel like I'm channeling him.)

But because blaming the factory is convenient and easy? Its not like they'll show up in the forum and defend themselves.

(That said I do think most time that excuse comes up it is genuine).

7. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder how many "factory screw-ups" are just an excuse that companies use to dodge responsibility for their own screw-ups and unrealistic release dates. It seems like all any company has to do is say "the factory messed up" and we all generally give them a pass. Since we don't know and have no direct link to the factories we are just taking the companies word for it, and these companies have no real incentive to admit their own mistakes.

Edit: ninja'd by Ghilz. You're quick.

8. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Japan and China are different .. Haha. The weather is always kinda shitty though in China.

9. dragontype

dragontype Well-Known Member

They are hitting peak season right now. ALL retailers need their Fall items to ship around June to August so they can get here to the retailer DCs and get trucked out to all the stores in time for the holidays. If they miss the holiday selling window, that amounts to a ton of loss sales. Third Party companies are small compared to the Wal-Marts, Disney, Takara/Tomy of the world. So the factories dedicate most of their capacity to those company's products.

The factories will most every single time, make capacity cuts on the smaller guys in favor of big money customers. (ie Wal-Mart, Hasbro, etc)

10. Raiju

News Credits:
    True, but generally speaking, the climate there share many similarities and one region's weather can affect another's quite easily. When I was stationed in Korea, I remember it raining nearly non-stop for 10 days straight at one point. Desert winds blowing over the Gobi also sends yellow dust (laced with pollutants from factories in China) definitely affect Korea (I know because I saw that stuff covering everything during and after the monsoon season) as well as parts of Japan. And summer is still hot, muggy, and extremely humid in that part of the world, which can and does affect production (as cited by Custom Robots and I believe their factory is in China).

11. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    If anyone follows model trains, there was a BIG factory shake-up that took YEARS to sort out. Stuff that was supposed to come out in 2011/2012 is only just now coming. It was all ready and waiting, but all of a sudden a couple factories basically said--"sorry, nope, not gonna do it any more"---and then it took a LONG time to get the molds back, tampo machines etc all moved out and set up, and train a different group of people to do it properly.

A couple months delay is NOTHING compared to what some companies have had to deal with.

12. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

How many factories are making 3rd party figures? Maybe there are just too many 3P companies and not enough factories? This could all just be a backlog at a couple factories.

13. Raiju

News Credits:
    I wouldn't be surprised. With all these new 3P start ups popping out of the woodwork lately, you have more competition to lease the time at the factories during off-hours. I'm willing to bet it's a combination of all of these factors plus some we just don't even know about unless we're actually in the biz.

14. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I don't think the factories all of sudden went shitty (i think they were always shitty). More likely that we're biased because of recent events.
    But I would think the overall shitiness of Chinese factories has more to do with the relative lawlessness in China.

15. Zambot

Zambot Pixarian Artobot

News Credits:
    Bring Manufacturing back to the U.S.

16. Raiju

News Credits:
    I would talk to your (our) elected officials about that. :D 

17. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    3rd party companies don't have the say Bandai or Hasbro/Takara have.

If Bandai showed up and asked you to produce 50.000 kamen rider figures or a relatively unknown small company came up and asked you to produce 5.000 figures, which would you prioritize?

And again, none of us are in a position to say anything because it gets as generic as "the factories". We have no clue how many factories there are, if they produce other things as well, what time window each company has and so on.

If anything, I think this is a fault of the 3rd party companies. Too much hand holding has proven to be cancerous for this fandom. Some companies just show off/play their cards too early [it's the nature of the 3rd party scheme, I know] and that's that.

I still laugh at the fact that FT got a lot of hate for a 2 month or so delay on Scoria, that we've had test shot reviews and full colour product pics, and the guy was updating at every single point, but people are perfectly happy with hasbro putting a preorder for generations arcee and chromia [NO pictures, no NOTHING], delaying them and then apparently cancelling them.

18. Rob3880

Rob3880 Well-Known Member

Yeah... and you think 3p stuff is expensive now.. please, keep it in China.

19. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    Hasbro would have quite the legal basis to proceed in that case....

20. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    :lol