What the heck is up with movie toys' legs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by zzyss, Jul 8, 2015.

1. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

I know I'm about 8 years late with this, but seriously: what's the deal with TF movie toy designers and LEGs? A significant number of toys:

• Don't even have legs (Arcee, Demolisher, etc.) because of some weird non-humanoid body plan
    • Obviously skipped leg day at the gym, with super skinny sticks for legs (too many to mention)
    • Have wheels/skates for feet (wheelie, sideswipe)
    • Have all these weird animal legs/feet (Ironhide, Crankcase) that are all knees - legs that bend backwards, etc.

Just thought I'd have this rant 'coz I picked up a bunch of toys on eBay that included a bunch of movie toys such as Legends Barricade (shin pieces don't give way to the knees so his legs are eternally bent) and Crankcase (again, legs that won't straighten because of being "blocked" by pieces).

Seriously. It's like they really specifically hate legs or something. What's the deal!

2. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    :bay 

3. Napalm

Napalm BOASTFUL MANFISH!!! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nick Nolte did it better in one emoticon than I ever could.

It's a whole different, alien aesthetic in the Movieverse, one that produced some great toys and some poor ones and one that pushed engineering to hugely impressive things during ROTF, but definitely one that requires a progressive view of what Transformers designs can be to appreciate fully, hence why they can be so divisive. Especially in the leg department :) 

The Legends Movie Transformers, the ones I have anyway are almost uniformly bad though, and it's where the designs of the movies can't be translated into anything like a functioning toy.

4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The other way to look at it is:

Intelligent galaxy travelling techno-organic entities that decided not to look humanoid in appearance.

We get hung up on every robot being humanoid in appearance.