What SHOULD Optimus Prime's Origins Be?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by CyberstormSM, May 26, 2020.

1. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Anything other than his G1 toon Orion Pax origin just feels wrong to me. That’s the one I grew up with. It makes him relatable in that he was an average Joe at one point and had greatness thrust upon him.

2. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Korean Geewunner.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well, about that Dai Atlas part, you're partially right. In IDW, "Dai Atlas" means "God Map" in Ancient Cybertronian. Dai Atlas named himself "Dai Atlas" because of his desire to find the Knights of Cybertron.

3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Admittedly, I've never really liked his Sunbow origin story. There isn't really much of an arc there. He goes from being a naive kid to the Supreme Commander of the Autobots, with no development or earning of his wisdom and status. I guess the case could be made that Optimus had to prove himself to the Autobots immediately after he got the Matrix, but then he just turns into another Rodimus; a young, unsuspecting Autobot with greatness thrust upon him who now has to prove himself to everyone else. I feel like Optimus should be cut from a better cloth.

There isn't really anything noteworthy about Orion Pax either; it's just a "right place, right time" sort of situation. It'd be like if Captain America was just plucked off of the street and given the Super Solider serum instead of him proving his kindheartedness and courage beforehand.

I do like the idea of him coming from humble beginnings, but I think Orion Pax is almost too humble; there really isn't anything special about him, and I don't really think that'd be the case with a young Optimus. The implication that everything special about him came from the Matrix is kind of silly to me, and it makes it feel more like a sort of power fantasy than a satisfying origin.

• Like Like x 2
  4. fschuler

Well, they only had 22 minutes to make a man out of him before moving on to the next episode...lol. Couldn't flesh it out too much. Plus: 1980's. I'll have to rewatch that episode sometime. I seem to recall their being some angst and maybe even envy toward the Decepticons...might have been more interesting if they had split it into a couple of episodes to make the story a little deeper and more complex than it was.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CyberstormSM

News Credits:
    Maybe, but I'm not really a fan of it because it doesn't really seem to explain anything about him. It makes him out to be more blue-collar and in a sense makes him seem closer to the people, which I do like, but that's really about it. Among other things, he's a leader, a scholar, a scientist, a philosopher, a doctor, a diplomat... The Sunbow cartoon origin doesn't really explain any of that, though, since he's just some naive kid before suddenly being rebuilt into the hero of all heroes. You could say that he was given all of those skills because of the Matrix, but that feels more like a cheap cop-out than an entirely satisfying origin.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fschuler

I agree. But it was pretty intense deep shit to 8-year-old me at the time...lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Envy,angst towards the decepticons from Orion and his friend???

more like Celebrity, they thought the decepticons were kool because they could fly

Well remember, there were 9 million years between the events seen in that episode and their coming to earth

Perhaps he learn to be all those things in all those years, in fact Kup mentioned that Optimus had his own learning and Adjustment period after becoming leader

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Yeah, the angst was more from the Aerialbots towards the Autobots. Orion and his pals just had admiration for the 'cons.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fschuler

Sorry...I’m operating off of decades old memories...lol...

10. CyberstormSM

News Credits:
    See, that still feels like a cop-out to me. I think his origin should explain why he has those skills, and he should probably have those skills before he even gets the Matrix. If the interesting and important parts are just kind of hand-waved away then it's not really a satisfying origin to me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

No worries no need to be sorry
    Well keep in mind, From a real world perspective the concept of the matrix has not been introduced into the series yet

Another thing to keep in mind is that Alpha did not reintroduce Optimus as the new leader, only as the first of their new defenders

Thr episode was also playing double duty, it’s like the Optimus story was playing “Second fiddle” to featuring the aerialbots for sales

But I agree in that they should’ve done more for the origin story

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sweet Smurf

Sweet Smurf Member

I prefer his origin from Animated myself.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom Cultist of Unicron.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, he was just some dude, named Optimus, he wasn't made to be a hero, built to be a warrior, he wasn't robot jesus

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sweet Smurf

Sweet Smurf Member

And if he is connected to the Thirteenth Prime, I like the idea that he took the name "Optimus Prime" from them just like how Megatron was original called "Megatronus" after the Fallen... it's a interesting parallel.

• Like Like x 1
  15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    War Dawn is more than good enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

As long as he's not a member of the 13, then I don't really care. I just felt like that minimizes all of accomplishments. I think a combination of his g1 cartoon and animated origins would be cool, where he starts out as more or less of a nobody who works his way up into being a hero.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

im alright with almost anything, as long as he truly earned the Matrix of Leadership. though i do like the idea of optimus and megatron being somewhat friends, despite having different social status and ideologies, and then splitting up.

"I hate you!"
    "You were my brother, Megatron! I loved you."

yes, him being part of the 13 was just so... cheap. it's as though that he was already born to be a prime, and didnt have to earn the Matrix at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm a little more open to different beginnings, but the thing I agree is important is the greatness thrust upon an average Joe part. If he was already a supercop or whatever, it lessens his story.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

I don't know what Optimus Prime's origins SHOULD be.
    What I'd LIKE them to be, though? Of late I find myself drifting away from "The Same 'Chosen-One' B.S. We've Been Getting For Centuries" territory and more toward "Sometimes Sh** Just Happens" territory. I'd be too inclined to just have him be some grunt named Optimus in the thick of the war who suddenly gets a battlefield promotion from Alpha Trion after Sentinel kicks it: "You - you're Prime now, let's go."
    I would probably just completely dis-involve the Matrix - it's more trouble than it's worth, and it's less MacGuffinism to have to deal with.

• Like Like x 1
  20. CyberstormSM

News Credits:
    I remember hearing that the original intent of the episode was for the Aerialbots to learn of the Decepticons evil by seeing them kill a group of civilians. Only later on did the idea develop that one of the robots killed by Megatron would become Optimus Prime. So, it definitely was playing second fiddle to the Aerialbots.

I really like his Animated origin too. It'd be kind of neat to see a more 'classic' version of the character start out as a military dropout.

Animated Optimus is really one of the best incarnations of the character.

This is somewhat off topic but I think "Megatronus" is a really silly name, though I do agree that there is a neat parallel if Optimus did take his name for the Thirteenth.

That's fair. I do think the episode is pretty good, even if I'm not too keen on the origin it presents for Optimus.

That'd be a neat take, since he'd actually be earning his respect and title rather than just getting it because of circumstance or because destiny says so.

"It's over Megatron, I have the high ground!"

Exactly how I felt about that. There are better ways to tell an "Optimus is special story" than just having him be a literal demigod.

See, I feel like Optimus should earn his greatness rather than having it thrust upon him, but different strokes for different folks.

I used to not really like the Matrix, but I've sort of softened my stance on it. I think it should serve as a repository for the wisdom of the past, and maybe it could enhance the bearer a bit, but I don't care for it being such a deus ex machina.

• Like Like x 2