What series needs its own "Studio Series" ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Jan 2, 2020.

?

Yes?

1. IDW comic series

18.4%
  2. Beast Wars/Machines

31.0%
  3. Energon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Armada

10.1%
  5. Cybertron

1.9%
  6. Animated

13.9%
  7. RID 2001

3.2%
  8. Transformers Prime

13.9%
  9. War within

1.9%
  10. Fall/War for Cybertron

5.7%
  1. Kaynowa

Kaynowa #MakeTransformersStupidAgain

News Credits:
    A good answer. Though I'd argue some lines would benefit greater from reissues than remakes (Animated and Prime namely)

2. ziltama

ziltama Lurks, mods, molds, and casts

News Credits:
    Rescue Bots

• Like Like x 1
  3. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Gotta give some characters their much-needed scale figures though. TFP Arcee never had a figure that was scaled to her bot mode, whose size was in-between her Deluxe & Legion figures. And Animated Lugnut could benefit from the new Commander class. >:3

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gumblor Gimbles

Gumblor Gimbles Overjoyed at the prospect of buying a plastic rat

News Credits:
    A Hearts of Steel line would be incredible. We’d need to see stuff from the concept art, like Ratchet as an ambulance carriage and Megatron as a cannon.

I’d love to see some Armada remakes, I’m not old enough to have collected them but the designs look great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    I mean the STUDIO series is clearly exclusively a movie line and HasTak have given no indication it will ever be anything else but that... that said I'll play.

I'd be very pleased with a Beast Wars/Machines, however BW Season 1 is covered well enough in MP and I'd be happy to see that (eventually) expand either through official or 3P channels. If they were to do Beast Wars there would be a far bit of retreading what MP is already doing (there's no way they'd avoid S1 just because of MP) so for me at least it would feel like I'm collecting the same thing twice or like I need to make a choice between one or the other. Saying all that I'd still be totally up for it.

However on refection I voted for IDW comic series. It's a current(ish) and fresh take on Transformers rather than another nostalgia line, and the designs and characters a fantastic. Ever since reading MTMTE/Lost Light (I came to lit late having not really enjoyed phase 1 of IDW and dropped it just before the good stuff started...doh!) I've been desperate for a good coherently styled and scaled line of them. Thus far I've had to 'settle' for Flame Toys kits, which although flipping excellent have only done 2 IDW character so far and in turn don't scale with the MMC efforts (which are cool enough but not quite my thing).

6. walternaka

walternaka Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    IDW comic series

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think Hasbro would do an IDW Studio Series. Think about the print runs of those IDW comics, they were usually way under 10,000. Hasbro is going to see that as too small of a fanbase to do the kind of runs they typically do on toys.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi every copy of obakachantachi 64 is personalized

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Would it be possible to have all those options under one big line?

Say since we have "Studio Series" for live-action figures, an animated equivalent would be named something along the lines of "Animated Series". This line will carry RiD2001, Animated, Prime, RiD2015, WFC, FOC, and some Cyberverse figures. WFC and FOC aren't cartoons but "Video Game Series" doesn't roll off the tongue.

Beast Wars and the Unicron Trilogy can join WFC under CHUG as Optimus Primal, Cybertron Prime, and Hot Shot have done so.

I have no idea where to place IDW and War Within.

Given their size all Animated Cons would need to be Leader or larger. Oh imagine how majestic Commander Lugnut and Supreme Megatron would be :drool: 

• Like Like x 4
  9. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

The issue is we have a line who’s name implies it does that but instead only focuses on G1 with a few newer things sprinkled in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think our wires got crossed, here. Mass-release reissues alongside the current Generations lines would make them accessible to everyone. Toy-engineering hasn't gotten that much better...

Fire Convoy/Optimus Prime had a ball-jointed neck in super and regular mode, waist swivels, articulated fingers at the knuckle (for transformation), hip and knee, plus a great ankle pivot.

Are they currently a little long in the tooth as far as tooling is concerned? Yeah, probably. That said, they more or less broke the mold and laid the groundwork for what Transformers would become.

And look at Siege Galaxy Force (Upgrade) Optimus Prime... A lot was lost in translation from the original. To do that to RID is a horror.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    To be perfectly fair, Galaxy Optimus SHOULD'VE been Fire Convoy, he had a much more compatible design with the abundant armor and would've made a nice alt mode display with the Magnus. Not suggesting they stay remolds, but still

• Like Like x 1
  12. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    To be fair, all GUOP really needs is the correct head for the basic robot mode. While I like the toy-based Prime noggin a lot, it doesn't really fit on what is otherwise a pretty good Cybertron Prime homage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kaynowa

News Credits:
    Just toss out the whole base bot mode. It was a good homage but it wasnt a good update. It felt disingenuous to force G1 in their non-G1 update.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Yeah Galaxy Upgrade Optimus was a bastardization; a cheap retool they could get away with because demand for anything non-G1 has been very high.

I will, however, note that Fire Convoy really can't hold any standard accessories in Super Mode. And yes, toy engineering has gotten better. It's been nearly 20 years since the original RID, and I know for a fact that things don't usually slide backwards (except, of course, when you talk about the Fall of Cybertron and Age of Extinction lines). Plus, the old toy could do without all the expensive and cumbersome electronics.

As for outright reissues? Yeah, no. Reissues are going to be store-exclusives, and I already hate how Siege Ratchet and others have been Walgreens exclusives because there isn't a single Walgreens in my entire city. Plus, my local Walmart has been terrible about stocking the G1 reissues beyond the first wave of Hot Rod and Starscream. I'd much rather have a new toy that takes full advantage of the advancements in toymaking technology that have, indeed been made, that can then enjoy a wider release.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like the way you think.

I guess I'd say Beast Wars is up for it but John Warden said stay tuned for 2021 for Beast Wars fans....

I'd say the Unicron Trilogy or Animated should have that honour then.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    The print runs of IDW comics is irrelevant. All of the above enjoy (to varying degrees) a dedicated but niche audience. All far less than the movies do... which is why this is a what if/wish list thread not a what do you think they will do/speculation thread (unless I've misunderstood the OP?)

What would I like: IDW would be my first preference, BW/BM second.
    What do I think will happen: None of the above, just more movie stuff.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, in answer to the question "What if Hasbro made an IDW Studio Series?", my reasoned expectation is "It would not sell very well," which is a conclusion I base on the low print runs of IDW comics, which I take as a meaningful gauge of fan interest. Presumably the comics would have sold better if more fans had been into them.

And I do think one of these other past lines will take over Studio Series from the movie stuff, because they're running out of movie stuff to do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Booster Gold

News Credits:
    Sigh.. I don't believe anyone asked that question.. I see no point in arguing with you, I've made my point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  19. beastfanboi

beastfanboi Beast is life, beast is love

I want a SS-WFC breakdown badly

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP My personal sense of scale

News Credits:
    It's a toss up between the Beast Era and TFA, but really the original TFA figures were near perfect. Only a few characters like Voyager Optimus and Starscream really need better toys.

• Like Like x 1