What series needs its own "Studio Series" ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Jan 2, 2020.

?

Yes?

1. IDW comic series

18.4%
  2. Beast Wars/Machines

31.0%
  3. Energon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Armada

10.1%
  5. Cybertron

1.9%
  6. Animated

13.9%
  7. RID 2001

3.2%
  8. Transformers Prime

13.9%
  9. War within

1.9%
  10. Fall/War for Cybertron

5.7%
  1. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    *Comes in to check the score*

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    The 30 year culture cycle, the 90's are coming.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think G1 makes the most sense with Generations going (back) to “anything but G1”.

G1 can anchor a line. RiD can’t. I don’t think BW can past the core 12 or so characters. The problem is that nothing but G1 was maintained long enough to have monolithic, multigenerational support. Also, if Studio Series means a price hike for vehicle licensing, G1 is IMHO definitely the only one aside from Bayverse that can support that.

I maintain what makes sense IMHO is for 1984-86 G1 to “graduate” to Studio Series and then for Generations to become more of a new mashup continuity where Fire Convoy and Optimus Primal and motorcycle Prowl team up against Deathsaurus and Sideways. Like a much more cohesive, largely non-repaint take on Universe 1.0. (A few repaints might make sense like a SS G1 Sideswipe as Armada Wheeljack.)

4. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    doubtful. the people with dispoasble incomes are gonna be kids who grew up in the 80s for a while. 90s kids are gonna be stuck in entry level/shit paying jobs until the last of the Baby boomers die off or retire.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    This thread seems to be confusing Studio Series, with Generations.

That being said, both Lines are similar, except Studio Series implies Movie Toys.

And Generations, the Current WFC line is just a retelling of G1, no new plot twist, heck Unicron will be released in time for the line to wrap up. Then what; they start G1 over again? Story Wise the next Trilogy will be Beast related.

My Wishlist includes, new Beast Wars Combiners, RID Gigatron, and Titan Class BW II Majin Zarak, or a Fort Max with Megatron Megabolt as the Head. Not just limited to one show / Continuity.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Verno

News Credits:
    16 figures. 4 waves. That's a year's worth. SS can then move on to something else.

Wave 1:
    Deluxe Transmetal Cheetor
    Deluxe Transmetal Rattrap
    Voyager Transmetal Optimus Primal
    Leader Transmetal Depth Charge
    Leader Transmetal Optimal Optimus

Wave 2:
    Deluxe Transmetal Tarantulas
    Deluxe Transmetal Ravage
    Voyager Transmetal Megatron
    Leader Transmetal Rampage

Wave 3:
    Deluxe Fuzor Silverbolt
    Deluxe Fuzor Quickstrike
    Leader Transmetal 2 Tigerhawk

Wave 4:
    Deluxe Transmetal 2 Cheetor
    Deluxe Transmetal 2 Blackarachnia
    Voyager Transmetal 2 Dinobot
    Leader Transmetal 2 Megatron

• Like Like x 2
  7. Philip164

Philip164 Board Member

News Credits:
    A lot of repeated Characters. With exception to Optimus and Megatron we usually don't have repeats in a year. You also don't have any regular Beast Modes, just straight to Transmetals 1 & 2's, and Fuzors.

If anything this is proof Beast Wars needs to be the sequel line to War for Cybertron, called War for Earth; you need more than 1 year.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  8. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No. Some posters might not be "getting" it (though I've yet to see anyone miss the mark, but I haven't read every post) but the gist is plain as day. Studio Series is meant to be scale accurate as well as visually accurate to the CGI models, to the best of their abilities. People want that same course of action for other lines, such as Beast Wars.

Imagine a line of Beast Wars toys, we're talkin' Thrilling 30 Rattrap and Rhinox paired up with SS-level designs for a whole new, anniversary run of BW for the 25th or so. Imagine a Megatron, Primal, and Dinobot that are not only in scale with one another, but actually look like they stepped out of the screen into the palm of your hand and not like the previous figures that were good for the time but clearly not up to snuff in today's terms.

Also, Studio Series is technically Generations. Anything not Cyberverse or MP is basically Generations. That started with Age Of Extinction.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Verno

News Credits:
    I won't derail the thread (as there is already a more suitable thread for such a discussion) but the reason I've not included the Season 1 bots in that wave breakdown is because those characters are already getting the best treatment available -- Masterpiece figures. Studio Series can't compete with that.

The MP and SS lines have similar goals, but MP will always be able to do the Season 1 figures far better than SS. There's no reason to double-up.

10. analogue

analogue 01110111 01100101 01100010 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I voted Beast Wars, but I wouldn’t say no to Animated, as long as it had a new Shockwave with better articulation.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention it's a very Western-centric lineup. Nothing like that would ever get approved, because Takara would have no interest in selling it. Any Beast Wars line is going to include a few Japanese Beasts, Lio Convoy in particular.

Studio Series absolutely can compete with that, in two major areas: price and immediacy. We're going to be waiting another ten years for the full S1 Beast Wars cast to be done in Masterpiece, and they'll only be affordable to the most deep-pocketed among us. In Studio Series, they can be done in one year and not cost over a thousand dollars to complete the set.

• Like Like x 1
  12. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    IDW, imo is the best way to keep G1 fans happy, and also draw in new fans, because i dont think that many people will recognize BW characters and also the main selling point of TF is "robots turning into cars" and what better way of showing that than modernize the designs and alt modes, with some unique characters sprinkled in?

13. Verno

News Credits:
    From my understanding, the main objectives of the SS line are screen accuracy and scale. People have complained about the beast-mode on MP Blackarachnia being short-changed to ensure the robot-mode was so good. If the MP line can't even do it, SS has absolutely no chance.

The Season 1 figures are incredibly difficult to recreate because of how much they cheated. The Transmetal, Fuzor and Transmetal 2 designs, however, are much more achievable.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Since we're already getting BW Masterpieces and we know TT is working on an Armada Prime (and who knows what else), I voted Animated.
    The original toys are magnificent, durable and highly show accurate for the most part, there are a number of characters that I'd like to see redone. Not to mention the vast number of characters that never got a toy. Ideally they would adhere to the size of the original toyline but with toys getting these days that's a pipe-dream.

• Like Like x 1
  15. laserghost

laserghost mixtape recordicon

News Credits:
    I voted Animated because there was one thing I always wished they did with that line, something we now know they can do-- cel shading. How great would it be to finally get Animated figures that look animated? I'd love seeing that!

Another thought I had was Hearts of Steel. Only 3rd parties have tackled that one, and sparsely. I've always believed a line of old timey vehicles would work really well for Transformers.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Are you trolling? We're literally already getting that with the War for Cybertron trilogy.

17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oooohh... I was happy with my choice of Beast Wars, and then you had to go and put that image in my head...

• Like Like x 2
  18. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not really. WFC features plenty of post-86 characters and 5mm ports everywhere.

Take the 84-86 characters out of something like WFC. Put in their own line minus weaponizer compatibility and in media colors.

Take the opened up slots in the next WFC style thing and fill with a blend of post-86 characters and versions.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    NONE OF THE ABOVE.

Robots in Disguise (2015), people. There are SO. MANY. AWESOME and INVENTIVE Decepticon designs from the show that NEVER got ANY toys (or only got a Legion class toy) and would be absolutely amazing as a fully articulated Transformer. Kickback, Glowstrike, Stockade, Ped, Terrashock, Polar Claw... I mean, you could go on. And on. AND ON. And a lot of them have built-in redecoes/remolds as well.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I was referring to the first statements that we need a G1 studio series, which WFC already is. And no, post '86 is still part of G1 with the Micromasters and Action Master partners. The only non-G1 figures I can name off the top of my head that have been in Siege are a few of the Battlemasters, Barricade, and Cybertron Optimus. Hot Shot was selects, so he doesn't count. The majority are still G1 characters. Same story with Earthrise so far.

• Like Like x 2