What self-imposed restrictions do you have to keep your collection managable?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zethrofax, Jul 26, 2016.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only one of each character, one of each mold, trying to keep consistent a scale as possible.

2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

1. Do I like the toy
    2. Can I afford it?
    2a. If I can't afford it, how much do I really want it?
    2b. If I want it bad enough, I find a way to afford it.

Note: my collection is probably not considered "manageable" by most but I'm happy with it. Always something that pleasantly surprises me in every box I open from storage.

I'm also not very fond of the hundreds or thousands of figures crammed on a shelf in static poses...nothing enjoyable about that to me. I display a selected bunch of toys and the rest stay in storage. When I feel like it, I rotate what's on display but I never have a shelf too full.

3. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

My big limitation. Only buy ones I think I'd actually like. I don't believe the toyline forces us to buy anything, doesn't mean there hasn't been some I bought then immediately regretted. I also don't import unless that's my only option. I also don't usually get 3rd party stuff though if they complete the animated construction trio that nay change!

4. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was just curious. I thought it had something to do with Diaclone but couldn't really figure it out. :) 

5. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Good thread. My only limitation is that I've set aside £5000 to cover all my TF purchases in the next five years or so, if that money finishes and I haven't got what I want by then...too bad, collection ends. I'm sure I'll get all what I want by then given that I'm not a completist and how FT and others have branched into season 3&4 characters while TT mostly take care of the 1 & 2 guys.

Other than that I guess I won't say I make any restrictions, it's my pickiness, frugality and passion for cartoon accurate Sunbow G1 which pretty much dictates how I collect and it is as follows;

- Sunbow G1 only.
    - 80's G1 and MP only(Official & 3rd party)
    - No double dipping/troop building.
    - No placeholders (in theory, everything I have which is 3rd party is, I bought them because I feel TT won't be doing them anytime soon but as soon as they do, if they are significantly better the third party versions will be replaced.)
    - Not a completist (sp), I buy what I like.

6. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No double dipping, only what I personally consider must have characters, and only when I have 1) savings 2) extra savings in specific account for medical emergencies when they arrive 3) extra money on top of that for luxuries like toys. :p 

If all of those conditions are met, I buy. And if the price isn't absolutely exorbitant.

7. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

List goes:

Beast Wars
    Generation 1 and 2
    Robots In Disguise

Those are the lines I grew up on.

From childhood to teenager.

Currently trying to complete Beast Wars.

Just need the gut gun for Tigatron.

Also buy updated versions of characters if they peak my interest.

8. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As I'm moving away from Transformers in favor of Godzilla stuff (I knew this day would come), I'm coming up with new criteria, because Transformers will always be tempting. After spending months and months sorting through and selling Transformers, I find that I buy way too many.
    The new criteria asks simple yes or no questions, with 10 responses.
    "Do I like it?" for the head, body, paint scheme, and transformation.
    "Does it add something new to my collection?" for the head, body, paint, and transformation.
    "Is it a character I don't yet have?"
    "Is it at an affordable price?" (as in, can I purchase it within my monthly entertainment budget, hopefully with room to spare? If I have to save up for multiple months, it's too much)

Now the question is, how many "yes" answers do I need to justify buying it? 50% or more? 90%?

I guess I'm actually looking for feedback here. Half of the questions are about the figure adding something new to the collection. I've ended up with so many repaints/retools, and a large part of my childhood was my mom saying "don't you already have that one?" and I'd go "yeah, but this one is [insert color here]."

I recently bought Takara's Skull, and while (according to my criteria) it only gets a 60%, I'm very happy with the purchase. Should I modify my criteria, or is 60% enough to justify a purchase?

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Crazy like the Fox

Generally both for economic and variety reasons, I usually only strive to get one version of a specific mold and one version of a character to serve as a definitive version of them. The latter is more of a stricter rule than the former because filling out the roster efficiently is higher prioritized than mold diversity, especially when Hasbro's ability to push the limit of what constitutes a retool has been growing over the past few years. However, there are some cases where I have two versions of a character as I bought one, then an unquestionably better one came out, so the original has had to be considered a different character.

Confused yet? Wait until you get to my exceptions to all of that:

- Movie Landmine is worth owning every version of, he's just that good. Kinda glad there wasn't a 4th one in the AoE line to save a bit of money.

- Anything Combiner Wars branded.

- G1. Of course.

- Original duplicates from the franchise's history or where it makes sense; Cyclonus and His Armada, Streak and Swipe (and Alert), Hoist and Trailbreaker, Junkions (who are not Wreck-Gar), Seekers (Classics mold only - missing only Ramjet), Ironhide and Ratchet.

- Cases where it is the only way to get a character despite already owning the mold: Botcon Electro (because no way in hell is the original worth trying to find intact with the hopes of it ever staying intact), CW Viper (Last GI JOE homage was when?), Animated Ratbat/Electrostatic Soundwave (a.k.a. 'TOTALLY SOUNDBLASTER'), and 'Classics'/FOC Sundor (unexpected gift as part of a figure lot while I already had FOC Laserbeak)

- The retool/remold job changes the majority of the figure: Generations Voy. Sandstorm, probably most of the upcoming TR line.

- Anything even remotely easy to collect like Minicons. Oh yes, I already bought all of wave 1 of the single-pack Titanmasters, this line is going to screw me with how much it feels like Armada again from my childhood.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  10. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    low paid work?

11. Sylent

Sylent Haslab Unicron: 5,665 backers - 19 days remaining

My restriction is 'if I can't display (or have space to display) it, I don't buy it.' I was at SDCC a couple of weeks ago, and mulled over Fortress Maximus MANY times, but ultimately, I couldn't go through with it. I still have Metroplex locked up in the closet due to lack of space.

Additionally, I've limited my TF spending to MP's and select CW's.

12. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

One version of CHUG and one version of MP that sticks to the G1 show and IDW comics. I choose G1 over newer stuff and no Bayformers. MMC Hot Rod may cause me to break my rule.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is a very good topic because it really helps new collectors from buying unnecessary extras. My theme is G1 homages...as close as possible. For example, CW combiners.

On the other hand, I avoid figures like Galvatron, Blurr and whose gimmick is the same their G1 counterparts.

14. Slingshot

Slingshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I only buy CHUG figures now. I gave up on RID2015 thanks to the poor distribution.
    1 toy for each character. I sell any extras.
    The only exception is Powermaster Optimus Prime and Prime first Edition Optimus Prime.

15. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

One thing I have noticed is I enjoy my collection more now that I have imposed some limitations. I'm more focused on what I have than all the stuff I "need" to get next. It also gives me a chance to save between purchases more. I used to buy a couple MP scale and 3 or 4 voyagers every month. it was getting stressful.

16. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm limiting myself to the characters I grew up with when I liked Transformers from 1984 until 1986.

17. DesertDog

DesertDog is probably craving pork chops

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    My collection is unruly, and therefore cannot be ruled!

Just kidding. If I like it, can afford it and have space then I will buy. But after Titans I'm going to rein myself back to primarily Masterpiece and original G1 figures while only picking up the odd neccessary Generations figure like Titan Trypticon. And with the Collectors Club gone this year I'll save about $400-500 CAD a year in membership fees and the Subscription Service.

18. Born Toulouse

Born Toulouse Paranoid Security Chief

News Credits:
    As others have said before me, I try to keep only one figure for each G1-character.

I exclusively collect CHUG-versions of G1-themed characters because of nostalgia (mostly the main g1-cartoon cast but I've widened my scope because of the IDW-comics to characters which were more obscure back in the day but are featured in the comics nowadays).
    If there is a new mold which I prefer over the old one, then I will get it, replace the old figure and sell it off like I did with Classics Grimlock when I bought the Masterpiece-version.

19. Red Spider

Red Spider Well-Known Member

I have a list. Some Transformers are not just 'Transformers' but are some of my favourite characters across culture. These automatically make the list and tend to be G1. They feel like old friends! I'm a big Masterpiece fan but I can sleep easy on ignoring the random repaints like Exhaust etc.

If a particular Transformer looks like the ultimate representation of what I imagine it to be then it's a go. I know this isn't a non-third Party thread but Pandinus is a great example of that.

Unfortunately my list keeps getting bigger thanks to James Roberts and MTMTE!!

I do have to be weary, if I start collecting particular groups then things can get a bit crazy! I have had to draw a line at the Conehead Seekers though - just too much for what they are.

20. Master Disaster

Master Disaster Well-Worn Member

News Credits:
    Have a healthy enough imagination that you're able to justify every whim you act upon. We're all going home at the end of the night, it's our duty to party!