What made you start collecting again?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus141, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Like me,there are some collectors on these boards that stopped collecting Transformers at some point in their lives.
    And also like me,something sparked ( See what I did there?:p :D ) the interest again.
    Mine,UNBELIEVABLE as it seems,was Cyberverse. I know,I know...shocking,isn't it?

Out of boredom,watching youtube,Cyberverse came up on recommendations. Running out of videos to watch,I clicked on the link,and here I am. I got sucked back in :D 

How about you?

• Like Like x 6
  2. TickTockGoesTheClock

TickTockGoesTheClock Dōmo arigatō, Mr Roboto.

News Credits:
    A family member filled in a father figure gap for geeky stuff. (My dad's alive but just can't relate with me to anything nerdy.) So hearing about an adult who likes action figures brought me into the hobby.

• Like Like x 4
  3. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I was out of TFs for almost 11 years between early 2007 and late 2017. And I mean COMPLETELY out. I didn't look at them in stores...I didn't follow the news...and I only stopped by here once each year or two to say hi without really looking around at how things had changed. Then I saw TR Blurr at a store in December 2017. He was EXACTLY the kind of G1 update I had always wanted. I revisited TFW shortly thereafter to see what else I had missed. Lots, as it turned out.

• Like Like x 6
  4. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Definitely the movies. I never really fell away from Transformers that much, I've always kind of keep an eye on it but the movies absolutely reinvigorated my love for this franchise.

If I had to pick one specific year, I would say 2011 when DOTM came out. That's when I was looking to buy figures at retail in earnest and truly started viewing myself as a "collector".

• Like Like x 3
  5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transmetal Optimus Primal piqued my curiosity and I just had to pick him up.

That led to TM Megs, TM Tarantulas, TM Cheetor, TM Rattrap, etc.....

• Like Like x 5
  6. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Don’t hassle the Hoffimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Honestly my story isn’t much different. Major differences are I didn’t have a tfw account yet and it was potp grimlock/Dinobots/volcanicus and the prime masters.

• Like Like x 4
  7. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Combiner wars!

• Like Like x 3
  8. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never quit. I want to. But I cant

• Like Like x 4
  9. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Titans Return led me into a string of collecting obscure G1 Decepticons and Lost Lighters. I think it was Krok that won me over, that whole line was so out-of-left-field and I loved every bit of it tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  10. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had a gap for awhile and the TFTM characters in Titans Return drew me back in along with the headmaster gimmick. I really love the functional cockpits.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Actually it was Botshots. I started seeing them at tj maxx and they were cheap. So from there I went into T30 Springer and kept going.

• Like Like x 2
  12. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After dropping out in 2007, rather suddenly, I really didn't think I would ever get back into it. Thing is, I just plain burnt myself out back then. I ended up with a ton of shit I just didn't give a damn about. I sold 90% of it off and still don't miss it (most of it, anyway...lol). I've gotten plenty of stuff since then, but I've been *pretty* good at only sticking to things I want and like. Any time I feel the FOMO coming on, the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and a little alarm bell goes off in my head. I passed on most of the second half of Siege due to that. I just wasn't feeling it. I don't want to repeat the mistakes of the past.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Fc203

Fc203 Jazz is a Pontiac not a Porsche

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Being older with more money i could finally get the characters i always wanted as a kid

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus aka Biggerer Convoy

In 1998, The Beast Wars episode that introduced Optimal Optimus and bridged Beast Wars into G1 mythology.

Then in 2009, TF Animated.

When I lose interest, which I usually do, Classics and Generations updates keep me in the fold.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In-Stock

News Credits:
    As an adult, I collected from 2009 and dropped out completely and cold turkey sometime in 2012. I didn't think I would come back. I never actually got rid of anything, it had all been in storage.

Sometime in 2017 after watching TLK, I was reminded I needed to get rid of all the TFs I had in storage, lol. :p 

I started opening up bins/totes/boxes of Transformers... the first thing I pulled out was my Botcon Animated Stunti-con Job set. Opened up the damn box and give it a good hard sniff...

Boom, just like that. :eek: 

I was back. :p 

Like I never left. o_O 

By 2019 I self diagnosed with Fear of Missing Out, and have pulled back quite a bit since. :confused: 

• Like Like x 6
  16. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

It was a multi-step process that brought me back.

My last initial purchase of a Transformer figure was in 1987. I was 12, had been into the Transformers from the beginning, but by 1987 the "gimmicks" of the line had me looking elsewhere for entertainment.

In 2004, I saw the 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (MP-1) in the discount section at Walmart. I eventually bought it (for a shocking $35), and that started me looking in the toy department again. Not every time I walked in, but more often.

In 2006, I saw Classics Optimus Prime. It look like a cool update, and I bought it. And I HATED it. I hated how it was a parts-former and that it had this unnecessary second grill to become the toy's abs.

But, it was poseable... very, very poseable... in a way none of my old toys were.

Still, pure hate.

And, then... I started picking up Classics Optimus anytime I found him at garage sales or thrift stores. Because, despite the parts-forming (which I still kinda hate), it was such a good figure.

That's when I started picking up things. First the repaints of the Classics Optimus, then a few other characters. Then, in 2012, MP-10 came out.

And I was pulled back in completely.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got out when they stopped making them, and I got back in when they started making them again.

• Like Like x 4
  18. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    I started in the 80s because I was the target age back then. I stopped around the time of the micromasters. I got into comics and my collecting went to the Toybiz Marvel characters. Around 2012 I saw FoC Grimlock on the shelf and decided to pick it up. Then I picked up more of the FoC generations. Then I got a copy of Last Stand of The Wreckers, and the avalanche started

Long story short: Generations Fall of Cybertron.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    The movies.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Optimus141

Optimus141 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My interest in Transformers ended pretty much the day I watched the first 3rd Season episode in September of '86. Although I tried to appreciate that season, it was very low quality and the characters that were introduced in the movie had been changed so drastically( Galvatron was so cool in the movie,but annoying in the tv show), the stories that were good were rare, and the " zombie" Optimus episode made me want to throw things.

I jumped back into watching Transformers when I found Beast Wars one morning at work and I started buying figures. Beast Machines soured me to Transformers once again and I stopped collecting.

I discovered Transformers: Cybertron in 2005 and wanted to like Transformers again,so I collected quite a few figures from that line,but the cartoon was..,well..crap.

2 years later, The live action movie came out and I was in love. RotF came out 2 years after,and I quit again.

As I had said in my first post, Cyberverse,as silly as it is, made me love Transformers once again,and so I started collecting again. Currently ,I purchase different versions of my first 3 Transformers, Soundwave,Bluestreak and Shockwave. As I am rapidly learning, I have missed out on a lot of cool toys,games and shows over the years and I'm slowly catching up( God bless streaming ):D 

• Like Like x 4