What line/scale to start with?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by X98lbwuss, Feb 11, 2019.

1. X98lbwuss

X98lbwuss New Member

First off I am new here. Not new to collection vintage “toys”. I have a very, very,extensive sw collection. TF was just on the periphery of my toys as I grew up. I watched the shows and read the comics but joe and sw were the toys I collected as a youth.

My son (4) has started to show interest in tf. We watch g1 episodes and some of the prime series on Netflix (or Hulu or amazon, can’t keep track of all of them). I’d like to get him some core characters but these lines are pretty confusing and complicated for an old guy like me. Where do I start? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    well, you are kind of in luck:
    the War for Cybertron: Seige line JUST kicked off before Christmas, and is sort of resetting the line a bit in what has become known as CHUG (a catch all online euphemism for the various "Classics" ~ i.e. modernized G1 ~ lines that have been running on and off since the first live action movie got delayed and Hasbro did the Classics line in '06, which was followed by Universe in 08, Henkei, which was Hasbro's Japanese counterpart Takara's version of those 2 lines, and eventually culminated in Generations, which Hasbro has been using for most of the last 8 years with various sub line namess attached to it. Confusing, i know.)

But Seige features new versions of the original Generation 1 cast in recognizable robot modes, but the caveat of the serious is it's supposed to be BEFORE they leave Cybertron, so they have some sci-fi alt modes that are pulled off at various levels of success.

It's also featuring some dramatic upticks in pricing (which you are probably aware of from Hasbro's mis-handling of the Star Wars franchise the last few years)

ALL THAT SAID: as you mentioned, your son is 4, and those figures may be a tad advanced. you may want to dip your toes in with the current Cyberverse line, which is aimed at younger children. I'm sure some folks with first hand experience can pop in and give you some recommendations, but the line looks like it has some decent figures and some pretty lame ones (like the Scout class that don't actually transform all the way to vehicle mode.

Cyberverse also has a largely Generation 1 set of cast members, but executed with a more "animated" looking aesthetic. I believe you can watch most (all?) the first season on Youtube.

that's what's on shelf currently, could go A LOT deeper based on what's come out in the modern era of Transformers (2001 forward)

• Like Like x 1
  3. hayabusa

hayabusa Skyfire

Siege ultra magnus n shocky
    Than find a 3p on sale and than decide if u both want all ..

4. artiepants

News Credits:
    probably not going to want to spend KO prices on toys for a 4 year old :confused: 

• Like Like x 1
  5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Welcome to TFW! If you're looking to get some figures for your young son, you'll probably want to start off with some of the simpler ones. There is a line currently available at retail (Target, Walmart, etc.) called Cyberverse that is aimed toward a younger audience. They are somewhat simpler and sturdier toys...but I suspect they would still be sufficiently challenging for your little guy to start out on. And, there is an ongoing Cyberverse show you can watch for free online here: Transformers Cyberverse | Free Videos | Cartoon Network

• Like Like x 1
  6. artiepants

News Credits:
  7. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi One man alone betrayed by the country he loves!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I think your son is safe to play with anything that isn’t an MP or 3P. When I was roughly his age I regularly played with ROTFs and Animateds despite being notoriously complex even to this day, if I could do it he should be able too.

As a G1 person, you should really try Siege. Their alt modes may be lacking, but since we tend to display in robot mode, they’ll look awesome and much better than most older CHUG counterparts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shuggaroth

Shuggaroth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If i was starting to collect today, i woukd be all in on the legends and legends+ size class

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I'd roll with Cyberverse for a 4 year old. They aren't too complex. As far as pricepoint, I'd chose either the one-steps ($10) if the child wants quick conversions or the warrior class ($15) if the child would like something a bit more advanced (although generally no more than 10 steps).

10. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Uberbot

News Credits:
    Gonna add to the votes for Cyberverse. The cartoon lines are usually the best for that age (I gave my son the RID figs from a couple years ago, he was 5 at the time and they were just right). Specifically go for the warrior and ultra class, which are the 5" and 7" size that retail for $15 and $20 respectively. They're decent toys, not too complex and generally can take some abuse. I particularly like ultra class Shockwave (and it's on sale at Amazon right now).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Titans return and POTP scouts are good to start out with. Your son might like Cyber Battalion Prowl. For 3-4 years old, Cyber Battalion is pretty good.

12. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

To be honest, I would just buy the Siege products. Stop thinking children are stupid, and need to start simple with Cyberverse products or something. The current Generations toy line is as complex as Generation 1. Gone are the days of the ROTF complexities. If 4 years old you/us can handle G1 toys, then I do not see why modern childrem need more simplification... you are just encouraging Hasbro to make unnecessarily simpler toys.

13. X98lbwuss

X98lbwuss New Member

This is all great info! Thanks so much! As much as I buy SW for him he is gravitating towards TF and hot wheels. I’ll get a dna test, a talk with the mailman then I guess it’s off to target, amazon and eBay to spoil him rotten. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Welcome! I would recommend Siege for your son since it's recently bcome out at retail.

If you're looking for something for yourself as well I'd recommend Masterpiece.

15. X98lbwuss

X98lbwuss New Member

I think the siege line is where we might start.

As far as myself goes, I’m a vintage guy. If, IF, I was to start down that path. I really like the house I live in and my son. So justifying another outrageously priced hobby probably won’t fly at my house. Let alone having the space for it. Although it is very tempting.

16. artiepants

News Credits:
    If your into vintage their is the current Wal-Mart exclusive Reissue line in original-style packaging, so far they’ve done:
    Hot Rod (86)
    Devastor gift set (85)
    Minibots:
    Bumblebee (84)
    Swerve (86)
    Outback (86)
    Tailgate (86)
    Warpath (85)
    (One more I forget - Beachcomber?)
    Optimus Prime (84) - No trailer

And upcoming is
    Soundwave + Buzzsaw (84)
    And 2 2-packs of his cassette teams,
    Ravage and Rumble + frenzy and Laserbeak
    Also, Astrotrain I believe won the fan vote for an upcoming re-release.