What is your Transformers head canon? (G1-TFA & RB)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Mr. Chaos, May 22, 2015.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That really didn’t answer my question

You said the Dinobots had red optics because they were exposed to the unrefined chemical of Shockwaves

Does that apply to other Autobots that have red eyes....or are you overlooking other red eyed Autobots in your head canon?

Maybe he’s related to Elizabeth Taylor

2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Extremely rare and probably natural, but it is Swindle that we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if done by him for the sake of distracting his marks during a transaction.

Aside from the Junkions, who were obviously exposed to some form of the chemical considering the "greeting" that they showed to the Autobots, I am drawing a blank on red eyed Autobots from G1. Since I am not talking about other continuities, or Beast Wars, maybe you could give me some examples?

3. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    I believe the Dinobots have had red eyes from time to time. Though in the cartoon they had blue eyes, like the rest.

4. Primeultra

Well I’m a bit tired right now so I’m not going to rack my memory for a lot of examples but Trailbreaker is the first that comes to mind

Now correct me if I’m wrong but I believe you were referring to the toy line since even in the cartoon the dinos have blue eyes

5. Rodimus Prime

Yeah, I should have clarified. I consider the toyline the primary source of canon, followed by the Marvel comics, and then the cartoon, which was the least consistent (and I grew up more on the comics than the cartoon anyhow, which is why Ratchet and Blaster are two of my favorite characters. :D ).

I consider IDW bad comedy.

As for Trailbreaker, I never had the toy and his appearance in the comics was minimal, so I always forget about him. In his case, after reading his bio, I would say that he would be easy enough to fit into the concept. If he had somehow been subject to an early form of the treatment, one could rationalize that the fuel consumption he suffers would be an unintended side-effect. Perhaps he was an unwilling subject, or perhaps it was done early on, before the war broke out, and Trailbreaker only had his force field and so agreed to the test trial to try and enhance his combat ability for whatever reason. His mood swings (feeling useless or that he's being taken for granted) could also be a result of the chemical, but I like to think that Shockwave kept the "unintended" side effects hidden, and so neutralized or severely lessened the aggression enhancement, only restoring it once it was ready for wide-spread use.

More ideas I have:
    • Micromasters, Battle Masters, etc. are not attempts to minimize fuel consumption. This would suggest a level of control of transferring sparks or shaping protoforms to a degree that's rather absurd. Instead, I like to imagine that they are seen as a mutation or an affliction. At first only a few of the newer bots were this size, but as time went on, these small bots were more and more common, while new protoform appearances became rarer as time went on, until it stopped altogether.
    • Battle Masters originally did not have the ability to transform at all, suffering from Una Forma Syndrome, which causes a lack of a transformation cog to form at the time of development. However, the payoff is that they have excessive levels of energy, to the point that their bodies create more than they need. This was what prompted the idea to convert them into target/battle masters during the war, and why their transformations are so simplistic.
    • The cockpits, doors, etc. on most Transformers were put into place as a result of the rise of Micro/Battle Masters. Since so many were either unable to transform, or were so small that they could easily be left behind, larger "normal" bots had spaces designed for allowing their friends to travel along with them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Primeultra

OK what about fortress maximus and Metroplex?Both has Red eyes

And I’m sure there are a few more,
    Interesting

7. Rodimus Prime

Hmm... Since they are obviously meant to be defenders of Cybertron, they would be easy choices for test subjects of the chemical. Perhaps even done with the intent to introduce a version with a low-key aggression factor, in an attempt to sway the two to the Decepticons' side (Shockwave is a schemer, after all). However, the gigantic nature made them either immune to the side effects or (in the case of FM) might have even had a negative effect as his system sought to counter any changes to his personality. It'd bring up an interesting nature vs. nuture aspect, and whether Maximus' decision to eventually abandon the war was due simply to his pacifist nature, or if the action was in some way influenced by the treatment.

In fact, let me revise my original idea. Rather than simply making a Transformer more aggressive, it could instead boost the negative aspects of one's personality. Thus, Metroplex feeling worthless. These would already aspects of their personality, but the treatment boosts how much of a driving factor they are in each robot's character.

8. Primeultra

I’m going to try to come up with a small list of all the good guys with red eyes just to see where you go with this

• Like Like x 2
  9. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

From memory Pipes once or twice had blue eyes but for the most part, had red eyes.

10. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

Starscream had blue optics for a bit in the G1 cartoon, didn't he?

11. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

If he did, it was probably an animation error.

Post-G1 Season 3 headcanon I just thought of: After Optimus resurrected and retook command, Hotrod stayed on as an apprentice, learning how to lead at his own pace rather than being thrown into it via the Matrix. When Optimus finally retired, Hotrod took over again, and with years of training and seasoning under his belt, adapted much better to the pressure (and in general had a much better time of it). Also, Optimus forgave Hotrod for what happened at Autobot City - in Optimus's words, there was nothing to forgive.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rodimus Prime

Hmm... I like the idea that Pipes doesn't remember getting the treatment, or ever being near where it is naturally located. In fact, when he first showed up on Earth, most Bots didn't pay much attention to him, but they seem to recall him having blue eyes. Therefore, it raises the possibility that Earth has some source of the dangerous agent, or that red eyes can very rarely happen to a Transformer, and is a sign of mania taking over. After all, Pipes is a hoarder, and he obviously obsesses over his 'treasures' as he can ramble about them for hours. I personally prefer the latter option, as it could be tied back to characters like Overload, who was removed from active duty due to his obsessions.

Just don't do the Micromasters. Most of them didn't have enough of a characterization to do anything with (even if I liked a lot of them as a kid).

13. Primeultra

You sure about that?Pipes only had like 2 Appearances to begin with

14. Slaskia

Slaskia Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not. If I remember, right, it was when he, briefly, switched sides. Someone more familiar with the ep(s) in question will have to confirm though....

15. Honorbound

I don't even remember that he briefly switched sides - maybe during a Skyfire episode? Yeah, we're gonna need a G1 trivia expert.

16. Rodimus Prime

• Like Like x 1
  17. Distant1

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Honorbound

19. Primeultra

Starscream never switched sides, he did work with a sick Redalert however

20. Distant1

I am thinking the final exodus of the Autobots from Cybertron happened (before 2005) may have happened before Starscream's Brigade (the development of Autobot City and the moons, I believe came after BOT).

Sounds a bit crazy (and I know they probably did not have designs ready for S3 transformers), but in the Revenge of Bruticus episode, there were no Decepticons (generic seekers, possibly battle-chargers) nearby to help Shockwave.

One creative theory is that there was a really brutal battle (the Decepticons won as the surviving Autobots fled) but the other Decepticons on Cybertron were badly damaged and thus the only support Shockwave could muster when fighting Combaticons on Cybertron (before Starscream arrived) was from Sentinels.