What is your most valuable/treasured comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lt. Faceless, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I don't have a lot of valuable comics. Nothing that I know of worth more than around $10. As for treasured, though, let's see:

Superman Annual #1 (Silver Age) - Would be worth a couple hundred if not in "beat to crap" condition.
    Superman For All Seasons (hardcover) - Easily my favourite Superman story and since he's my favourite character, well...
    Post Crisis Superman run... complete run from John Byrne's Man of Steel up through Zero Hour, then a bunch afterwards, trying to slowly complete the run.
    Green Lantern - complete run of John's/Tomasi's entire era. Sinestro Corps war got me into reading non-TF comics for the first time in well over a decade, love the whole run!

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My most cherished comic is The Killing Joke.

The copy I have was my father's. I remember going with him to get it at a comic book shop (my first time being in one too) when it was first released. I was about five at the time and because of that no matter how much I begged him, he wouldn't let me read it. I remember staring at the cover for years just wondering what it was about.

My Dad died a few years later when I was 8. It was hard to deal with, since in school I was the only kid who had a parent who had passed away. In fact no one in my life had a parent pass away at my age (family, friends etc.). I couldn't relate with anyone, except for Batman.

I felt his pain. I understood what he felt inside. I was like John Blake in TDKR lol. I got it. Over the next few years it was all about Batman for me. It was a great time to be a Batman fan too. Batman Returns, BTAS, comics, toys, Batmania was everywhere.

When I was 15 my mom was going through some stuff in our storage. She came to me one night with a box that was my Dad's, full of Batman comics. Inside that box, there it was, after all of these years, again, Joker's smile staring up at me through that camera lens. I read it and it blew my mind. I got why my Dad would never let me read it as a boy.

So yeah, it might not be worth much, but it is priceless to me for sentimental reasons.

3. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

That was awesome(not the your dads death part buy why you like batman),thanks for sharing that. That's the reason I started this thread was for stories like that. Treasured>Value

4. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    May sound common or not that big of a deal but the green lantern/green arrow issue where they discover speedy is on drugs

5. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Just because a comic is valueable doesnt mean its not treasured. My first Iron Man comic was issue 200 and thats what got me started collecting. I tracked down that #1 not because of its value, but because of how much I love the character. He has been and always will be my favorite. Lol I plan on being buried with that comic!

6. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    Wolverine #1

Lots of sentiment associated to it.

7. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Hmm... I guess it'd have to be:

Green Lantern vol 3 #50. The issue where Hal Jordan, insane, finished off his destruction of the Corps and absorbed the Central Power Battery. First comic book I ever got.

G.I.Joe vs. The Transformers vol 1 #1 Megatron/Cobra Commander cover signed by Josh Blaylock

And Transformers (Marvel) #1, 2, 3, and 5 (still gotta track down #4).

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Days of Future Past. Was my first X-Men comic.

9. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

The entire run of The MAXX. Good stuff.

Now I want to read them again, so thank you.

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My most treasured comic would have to be Transformers #21, not only the first Transformers comic I ever bought but the first comic I ever bought, period. I still remember all the details of buying that issue. It's in pretty bad shape from all the reading and re-reading, and I'm fairly sure I've picked up at least one copy in better condition over the years, but I'd never sell that original issue.

Whenever I think about collecting original art, I think trying to get all the pages from that issue would be what I'd go for, just for the memories involved.

As for my most valuable comic, I don't really know. I'm not sure what stuff is currently valued. New Mutants #98, Marvel Super-Heroes #12-13 (first appearances of Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers), Uncanny X-Men #95 (death of Thunderbird)... on the DC side I've got some issues of Inferior Five, as well as their first appearance in Showcase #62, but that's so niche I doubt they're worth an extreme amount.

11. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still have my first comic it was when Bane broke Batman's back. My first little more expensive comic was the Death in the Family issue where Robin died.

12. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I think it's weird, for me, a lot of my most treasured comics aren't the comics that I had growing up, but instead are the comics that I never had but really really wanted and acquired them in adulthood.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Super Mod

News Credits:
    My crown jewels are my Amazing Spidey 194's. I was able to snag the graded one right before the Spider-man 4 Black Cat casting rumors popped up. After that the prices skyrocketed on this ish and haven't come down since.

[​IMG]

First appearance of Bishop. Haven't gotten around to getting this graded yet.

[​IMG]

And I got this graded for the hell of it. It's not a particularly good issue, but I really dig the art and the cover is one of my favorites EVAH. :D 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I have a signed Knights on Broadway, all sealed up, *never been opened.* with 3 different signatures on it, worth about 30 bucks, lol but that is about it. i really do not know much about it though. lol i picked it up for about 25 cents at a used book store.

15. Lt. Faceless

Question,what made you get the Spidey issue with the marked over UPC over the one that isn't mark off? If you plan to get the Frist app. of Bishop graded,i think I still have mine laying around if you need an issue to keep for reading.With Bishop being in the new X-men movie,i could see that issue jump in price.

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    Iron Man #1, the first time
    Tales of Suspense #50, first Mandarin signed by Stan Lee

17. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Those "marked off" comics are actually old-school Direct Editions. A lot of people (like me!) prefer those to the Newsstand Editions.

18. Lt. Faceless

I didn't know that. I just remember biglots would sell bags of comics with the UPC marked out so the UPC wouldn't read anymore.I just thought that was a way to stop second hand selling.Thanks for the heads up.

19. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

My #1 Swamp Thing issues. Framed and hanging with a print that was supposedly signed by Bernie Wrightson.

[​IMG]

20. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Haha, I used to think that someone had crossed it off with a marker. I eventually learned it was an old Direct Edition. EDIT: I did some digging and all I could find is that Marvel did that to Direct Editions (crossed-off UPC) in 1979, prior to using the typical picture in place of the UPC. I also read something about "Whitman 3-packs" from the '80s doing the same thing...

But - I didn't know that about the department store comics (with the same "marked-out" UPC). That's good to know! I'll have to look closely if I ever buy an old comic; make sure it's not some department store reproduction....