What is your focus? And how often does it change?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Chrackalakis, May 18, 2014.

1. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Ebay:
    Last couple of years I have been focused solely on Masterpiece, and tried to fill in some collection gaps by picking up figures I had previously missed out on.

Fast forward to today, I'm kinda burnt out on MP, just as everyone else seems to be gearing up with great releases like Magnus, Wheeljack, and Bee coming up.

However, I am currently really excited about the movie line, not just AOE but trying to pick up some of the older molds I missed out on from the first three movies in the Bay-verse.

So I was wondering TFW2005 community, what is your focus, and how often does it change?

2. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

I don't have a focus, per se...regardless of the line, I have a specific set of criteria I look for. If a toy misses too many of those points, it's a pass.

3. Blazere

Blazere :)

News Credits:
    Didn't I make a thread like this 2 weeks ago?

4. puma

puma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's one of these every other week.

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Classics. I rarely ever deviate.

I skipped out on Quakewave because it was Masterpiece styled, and not Classics enough for instance.

I usually deviate if I really like something else. For instance, I'm not a Masterpiece collector, but I have MP Smokescreen, because I want to own the 4 Autobot race cars. Also, I have MP G2 Sideswipe because fuck, it's G2 Sideswipe from the comics.

6. Chrackalakis

Chrackalakis Astrotrain Engineer

Ebay:
    Sorry, must have missed it.

7. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Same for me. I collect to many other toy lines to keep up with all the different TF lines. The only MPs i have are MP01 and MP Grimlock and he goes with my classics. MP01 is just a bigass awsome Optimus Prime and from a time when being called a masterpiece meant something. I think every collection should have him just cause hasbro will never release a transfomer like that again.

I haven't displayed my classics in some time due to not enough room.I like them all and would rather display them all then just a couple.One day i'll have a building/garage to make a big long shelve into a massive battle diorama.

8. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Classics-Generations ONLY for me...

9. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

Masterpiece is my top focus followed by third party combiners, but really, I ultimately just buy what strikes my fancy.

10. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I started out, this past October, with collecting soley my favorite characters. My very first piece isn't my absolute favorite Transformer but he's related to him. My first piece was Asterisk Sunstreaker and he's my sentimental favorite.I set out intending to collect Sideswipes, Sunstreakers, Bees, Ratchets, Prowls and Jazzs (plurals are intentional).

That then segued into collecting Transformers Prime characters (still working on that), which led to collecting Trans Animated characters (working on that too). Then the excitement of the new movie kicked in, and I decided to collect the characters that really caught my attention.

In the midst of the movie excitement, I started collecting the Masterpieces and really liked them. With all the different toy variations, I focused on completing sets. I actually managed to accomplish that.

So, I have: Generations, Masterpieces, Universe, TransPrime, TransAnimated, MovieVerse,etc.

11. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

I buy pretty much whatever I want. Primary focuses? WFC / FoC (line completion), BW (show cast), movies (cast + a few fun redecos and new molds). I have a fairly extensive Prime collection that technically exceeds movie and BW in numeric value, and a signifcant assortment of classic style toys which are headlined on the shelf by, of all things, Armada Megatron and MP Acid Storm.

I don't really go for the "ONLY BUY THIS ONE THING YOU LIKE" idea because I like a lot of stuff.

12. mmhand

mmhand Well-Known Member

These days I mostly focus on masterpiece with a classics figure thrown in every now and then. I have most of the early classocs figures but rarely buy one nowadays. Since I have collected so many lines from G1 on, I don't really have the space to go all out on the new lines. I so usually end up with the best optimus prime figure from each main line though.

13. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

I was a CHUG junkie for years, until I've just recently sold off the bulk of my collection, and now I only buy Masterpiece. It's actually a lot less stressful, time-consuming and expensive that way. I don't have to continually search stores for the next wave to hit. I'm not looking at buying 4 deluxes and 4 voyagers at one time. I just put in my pre-order and wait for them to come to me. As it is right now, I have already ordered and paid for all of my new figure TF purchases through the end of this year. I don't even have to worry about it.

My TF figures are definitely only focused to one line. However, I'm an 80's nostalgia buff, so I also tend to collect Masters of the Universe classics, DC, Marvel Legends, NECA, and just recently started the Star Wars Black Series 6" figures.

14. whitedragon17

whitedragon17 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Before I just bought whatever seemed interesting, but for the past year I've been focusing only on Mini-cons/Micromasters (just need a few stragglers and most of the DVD/Japanese exclusives) and tanks/military vehicles. I wanted a theme so I would have more fun hunting and save money instead of buying everything in sight. I do still purchase the generations figures that interest me though. I'm far from having every tank transformer in existence, but nearly have all the modern ones except for some of the Botcon and Takara repaints, only a few 3P stragglers and Takara MP Movie Brawl. G1 Overlord is a far dream...

Soundwave and cassettes will always be sought though. So in summary, Mini, Tanks, Soundwave/Cassettes, and the few stragglers. It's why I've been selling quite a bit, making room and saving money for what I really want.

15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

The Bay movie brought me back in 2007 and up until last summer I was focused on building a movie collection that was as complete and in-scale as possible. I grew up on TFs in the '80's, that's what I fell in love with, so I've always been a G1 guy at heart and would pick up CHUG figures to scratch that itch. Unfortunately, "re-imagined" homages to G1 still didn't do it for me. When I finally realized what was happening with the MP line I decided I couldn't let another release pass me by and skyrocket in price on the aftermarket. I sold all my movie and CHUG figures last summer and caught up on all MPs from 08-19. Now it's straight MP for me, official figures on on-screen G1 characters only. MP prices used to be a deterrent for me, but like Extendarr said, this line's actually very affordable for me now, especially pre-ordering through Asian dealers. I've no reason to ever shift my focus again as this line is everything I've ever wanted since I was five years old in 1984. I've never regretting selling my other figures or missed them once and I've never been happier as a TF fan.

16. NemesisAngel

NemesisAngel Well-Known Member

Updated G1 cartoon accuracy is my focus. Doesn't change really, sometimes I splurgeon more fun toys though like the samurai go teams or beast wars neo stuff...picked up a couple idw figures just because.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1, went to classics for a couple years pretty steady, then got extremely bored with them and burnt right out on 3rd party, now i'm back to g1. I still pick up the official classics figures, but nothing third party has interested me a whole lot lately

MP has always been in there too, but i'm not going to buy every single repaint they throw out.

I got suckered in by the movie line once, couldn't give them away. never again. My advice if you're going to pick up the movie line to keep, buy it a couple months after the movie hype dies down, you'll pick up most of them with a couple hundred bucks tops.

18. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like a lot of people are saying, I too focus mainly on Classics/Generations updates of G1--but I usually stick with characters I knew (or missed out on as a kid).

I was really into cyberverse for a while (missed too many early legends figures), but now that's dead. I've been a bit fiendish with blind bagged kreons, but I think the new choice to go TRU exclusive will force me to quit those cold turkey.

But my main focus is really a good sale. I mostly just enjoy buying junk...especially for a bargain (which is how I got stuck with several boxes of movie figures, HA figures, and PCCs).

19. AoE

AoE MERGE YO POSTS PEOPLE

News Credits:
    I just use the rule of cool. If it looks nice, I get it. If it doesn't, I don't. Sometimes I like the figures in a line more than others available the next year, I.E I plan on splurging on the AoE line and last year I only bought BW Prime.

I find focusing on one thing over another pretty meh since I'm open to all aesthetics.

20. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    Just whatever I like.