What is your favorite Japanese G1 series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GogDog, Aug 18, 2010.

?

What is your favorite Japanese G1 series?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2010.
  1. The Headmasters

17.0%
  2. Super God Masterforce

32.1%
  3. Victory

37.7%
  4. No preference/haven't watched them

13.2%
  1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Masterforce for me as well. I like the depth of the story, and the change of direction is refreshing. It's by no means perfect, but I enjoy it immensely.

You guys beat me to it! Ah what the heck...

Mastah-force!!
    TRANSUFORM!
    God on!
    Double On!
    CHOJIN GATTAI!

GOD GINRAI!

FINAL FIRE GATSU!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Masterforce for me - it's a big departure for a TF series, but that's what made it so fresh and inventive. Also, it was a big deal to start seeing toys that appeared after the US series was cancelled.

Suit on!

3. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I like Victory & Masterforce a whole lot, but my favorite Japanese G1 series isn't even an option. Granted it was only an OVA and a Manga, but it was still a series! That series would have to be ZONE. Zone animated the Micromasters and their bases, and the base-robots such as Dai Atlas and Sonic Bomber were freaking HUGE.

~Z

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    This is also another reason I love the series. I remember back in the mid-90s, first getting online, and seeing super low-res clips of Overlord in action, and loving it. Given how much I loved that big guy, seeing him in animation was incredible.

Piranacon too.

5. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As much as I do love Masterforce, I still can't believe you'd have put me up against McFeely answering questions on it!!!

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    It's thanks to you that Fire Guts God Ginrai ended up on my grail list! :lol 

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

8. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Tease. :cry 

9. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

At first I didnt like Masterforce. Then one bored month, I spent everyday watching every episode and loved it. It has a great story to it, about the humans taking the fight over and saving their planet with Autobot technology. The only thing I super hated was that the Godmasters were humans. Also I hated the disconnect from the previous series. We only see Fortress on a fuzzy screen talking sparingly about the Deceptions movements. Oh yea, and Chromedome made an appearance in some educational video for the Headmaster Jrs. I just wish it was more connected with Headmasters and showed more recurring characters but I think they learned their lesson with Victory when you see Ginrai and the others more often with the new guys. The animation was top notch and the battles were great.Cancer is a very underrated character in the TF mythos. He wasnt evil as the other Decepticons, just a troubled kid looking for a place to belong. My favorite episode is when he goes to warn his town about Black Zarak and the Headmaster Jrs go to dig him out. Minvera asks the boys to help and they laugh and she gets frustrated and starts digging with Browning. Then Ginrai yells at the boys to help anyone no matter if they are Autobots or Decepticons. Great character interactions. And the random shouting of powers was pretty cool: KING POSEIDON! CHOJIN GATTAI! MASTAH FORCE!!!

Anyways, but to be honest the rankings are like this:

Headmasters
    Masterforce
    Victory

Headmasters is my favorite of the Japanese series only due to it having continuing adventures of some of my favorite characters. Rodimus Prime, Galvatron, and even Jazz make regular appearances. They dont seem to forget about characters like Season 3 did and even show some season 1 and 2 characters. They also show some places forgotten in season 3 like the Decepticon space bridge (which was destroyed). Galvatron seems kinda sane. Few things I didnt like was how the Autobots went through 3 different leaders in the span of 10 episodes. Also how Rodimus just gave up and flew off and left the new toy.. I mean the new guy in charge. Also how they got rid of Galvatron by just burying him in ice. And how Cyclonus and Scourge, two of the most powerful Decepticons created by a GOD, turned into clowns. Just for new toys. And Scorponok's plans werent to coherent. But like I said, it has some nice moments and good animation and features characters from all of seasons (well series in their case) to make it seem like one big story.

Victory was cool. The animation was superb for a series of Transformers. The story was great and hawked back to original premise of Transformers: Autobots stopping the bad guy's weekly scheme of evil. Dezarus was a good villain and totally hated Star Sabre. I think this is the first villain who had no respect for his enemy.

All in all, the Japanese did a very good job picking up where America and Hasbro left.

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I selected Headmasters. because it's got a even mixture of older & newer characters. plus it felt like a extension of the USA G-1 1986 season 3.

11. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

ages ago, before I'd actually ever seen any of the Japanese episodes.. except Scramble City and Zone.. cause some guy named Rockman had them on his site you could download ( took 8 hours to download back in the heady days of 1999 or 2000..) I really loved the concept of Masterforce.. hence the name.. he was like Optimus Prime but with more trailer.. hence more awesome.. But ya know thats just it I guess.. when you have limited information except for some sketchy overviews and a few pictures of toys you are never going to own.. it does make them seem far cooler than they really were.. and at the time I was going through my Japan is Awesome phase.. with the DBZ and what not too..

Now I dunno.. after having watched them all.. I really think to me its a tossup.. between Headmasters and Victory.. I don't really like Masterforce because the Transformers themselves take a back seat to the Transector powered humans..

12. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

Mewwwwww!
    1. Licca = girlie fashion doll, invented by Reiji Matsumoto's wife (Mako) produced by Takara since 1967 onwards.
    YouTube - DreamMix TV World Fighters trailer
    ^ you ain't gonna believe this sir!!

[​IMG]

Are you sure? didn't you check yout Unicron trilogy? did you skip TF: Car Robots?

My definition of "Girlies" is based on that doru, and being "not so girly" is based around characters like Mikaela Banes (TF2007 movie),

OK if my "Girlies" means "Feminine" then yes.

IF you refer to Gee One girls. then
    1. Carlie (Spike's GF/wife) is somewhat feminine
    2. Melissa Fairebourne (ignore Kiss players version if you treat American seasons 3 as canon) is definitely not so girlie even compared to her mom (Lady Jaye)
    3. Minerva (May I discuss about 'er again meow~) is very girlie, (and don't even throw this doll to combat again. NEVER! let joe girls do this)
    4. Michelle (Victor Drath's GF) is feminine. and WEAK! (yet, Rodimus convoy did fall to her ono!)
    ok so what's your "feminine" definitions sir?

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i started with masterforce, and loved the HELL out of it, but victory has taken my heart, i love that series to death, from leozack to hellbat to star saber to deszarus to the lovable triceratops who i can't spell or pronounce his name haha

Deszarus is my favorite decepticon leader

what shocked me was how deathcobra (that is his name right?) was treated, 7th member of liokaiser and was just killed off

14. Lone Cat

^ I'd rather see him being Breastforce instead of weakling hellbat. that will make Breastforce evenmore awesome when combined into Liokaiser

Deathcobra's alt mode didn't present too bad! how come it is said that he is Helicopter?

COBRAAAA!

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I DID pick the topic! :) 

16. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    I can't remember if he TF's in the cartoon, but his alt. mode is shown in the Ark book, he looks like a Russian Hind helicopter.

Anyone else and I'd be confident of winning on Masterforce. If I'd known (and we'd got that far), I'd have taken my bracelets along :D 

17. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

:hijacked: 
    Yes I did, and I still don't see what you're talking about.

A "tomboy" is a girl who could very easily be mistaken for a boy. They tend to have short cropped hair (though not always) and wear masculine clothes.

Who is a "tomboy" in Car Robots? AI was pretty feminine for a computer generated hologram. Junko and Koji's mom are the only other women in that series and they are both totally feminine.
    I'll give you the girl from Armada (I can't remember her name), and maybe Kicker's sister, but his girlfriend was so feminine that she was practically a straight shot of estrogen!
    And what's-her-name from Cybertron/Galaxy Force wasn't a tomboy, she was just assertive.

Again, not a tomboy. Yes she liked cars, but look at her! There's no mistaking her femininity.

"Somewhat feminine"? She's very feminine. Hell, she looks like Gwen Stacey (Peter Parker's first girlfriend).
    Now Lady Jaye IS a tomboy compared to the other female Joes. Marissa Fairbourne is tough, but she has to be, she's in the military, as was her mom. She's still quite feminine in appearance.
    Like I said above, in my view a tomboy is a girl who looks and acts like a boy.

I know plenty of girls/women who are into "guy stuff" but I'd never call them tomboys because they still act & look like girls/women. My wife included.

18. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    A tomboy is not a girl who looks like a boy, it's just a girl who who tends to like things that are typically associated as boy things and askew the girly type stuff and shy away from typical girly clothes and the like. I have known plenty of tomboys who were physically attractive and had long hair.

19. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Victory has teh awesomene55

20. Lone Cat

This is the same definition i'm try to explain.

Thaks alot. meow~