Customs: What is the WORST customizing disasters you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JackKnife, Feb 26, 2020.

1. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

okay folks: for those of us who've been doing this for a while, we've all run into some pretty hairy scenarios where things..er...just didn't work out right. So, with that said, what has been the worst disaster YOU'VE ever faced customizing a project?

It doesn't have to be specifically Transformers: other figures, model kits, you name it. Did something fall, spill, crash and burn? Did the cat chew on it? Did you spill something on decals or did the soldering iron slip and give Megatron a goatee? o_O 

I'll start off with one of my own: when I was building MP-01+ a trailer back when MP-01 first came out, I had to move and our stuff was in storage for some time. When I got the trailer back after a few years, the sides were horribly warped!

(my brother put the stuff in storage but it wasn't climate controlled!)

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hm. Nothing major for me but I've only done a little bit of customizing. My Arcee broke at the knee while I was trying to remove the knee pin. Luckily I had anticipated having problems so I bought two of the figure so I'd have spare parts if needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JackKnife

Wow! I can imagine the horror when you realized it wasn't staying on!

4. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
  5. The13Primes

The13Primes hot shot fanatic

News Credits:
    Besides hasbro releasing something superior just as i finish my custom?

Probably part of a cw streetwise roof snapping as i was removing paint from a wip to make something else.

but it also allowed me to add some stuff so no complaints

• Like Like x 1
  6. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    Let's see....Me not realizing Moonracer's chest was made in transparent plastic, thus disintegrating from me using rubbing alcohol to remove the decals.... the Sharpie fails.... shapeways parts disappearing into thin air after I drop them once...… Oh, and my recent messup with dying figures resulting in my passion project being put on the backburner for a while. I'm sure there are DOZENS more of examples I can personally pull from, but it's a learning experience. You gotta fail to win sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MagnusWave931

MagnusWave931 Loving this Track right now

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Oh Boy, Where to begin with my Mistakes: I have had several customs where the paint cracked while Drying thanks to the wind, a few paint jobs ruined by the part landing in the dirt while spray painting outside making me doing it again, Cyberverse Deluxe Bumblebee's Torso coming out terrible and a hinge to hold the windshield breaking off, Potp Windcharger's Side Door Window Breaking off, Various Tabs Breaking off, Crack's appearing after removing pins, among other issues. So Yeah, I've got quite the List.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I've done quite a few customs but I always find white and yellow paints troublesome. I tried repainting Combiner Wars Ironhide as RID Ironhide Ox but the aforementioned colours just wouldn't take. They came out in thick blobs in places.

I also tried repainting Combiner Wars Ironhide as G2 Motormouth but again the blue paint came out in blobs on the bonnet, the most noticeable part of the truck mode.

I used to find painting optics tricky until I discovered the magic of toothpicks.

I

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackKnife

Yeah: painting lighter colors over darker ones is a pain (keep in mind: PAINting lol). A primer helps greatly with that, as for the colors coming out in blobs, I think that depends on the paint. I generally cannot paint large areas of white without a rattle-can myself.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I prefer rattle cans myself when I can. Nice pun by the way.

11. DT WORKSHOP

DT WORKSHOP Member

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tried to unskcrew an Armada Starscream to repaint it as a kid. I was never able to screw it back corectly and as I used acrylic paint, the whole thing was super messy. Ended up tossing my figure..