What if Transformers would've been more integrated into the Marvel universe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by DerVernichter, Jan 29, 2013.

1. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

In my naive childhood years I used to think that Transformers was mainly a comic book franchise, and was mainly owned by Marvel, with the toys produced by Hasbro being a side line. I know, I couldn't have been more wrong but image: what if that, in spite the diclination of the toy line during the early '90s the Transformers comic series would've become immensely popular? What if Marvel'd decided that TF was worth contunuing, somehow bought the rights form Hasbro and began to make it one of the falgship of their comics, as well as integrating it into their mainstream continuity line?

I kind of think it would've been quite interesting. to see how the Cybertronians would've interacted with all the superheroes and villains. Sure, they might need some amping up in order to still remain a threat, but with a protocol similar to Fuman's 'ation phases, inflirtating and manipulating the political terrain from behind, it could be still quite intriguing.

It would also be nice to see hoe the presence of Transformers would've influenced all these massive crossover events Marvel's so fond of lately. How would've the reacted to the techno organic virus, or Inferno? Would the Decepticons have formed an alliance with the Skrulls during Secret Invasion? How actively would the Autobots take part of all the conflicts? Would they be top secret like the Illuminati? Or team up with S.H.I.E.L.D? Imagine dudes like Wheeljack, Perceptor or Brainstorm swapping notes with Reed Richards, Tony Stark or Hank Pym!

So, what do you think? would this be a great, horrible or at leas interesting scenario for the comic aspect of TF? How do you think the presence of Transformers would've changed the events within the Marvel universe?

2. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Well, as issue #3 showed, Marvel did orginally intend for the Transformers to take place in their regular universe. The reason they chose not to, was the fact that the major events that took place in the comic would be on too great a scale for the rest of the Marvel Universe to ignore. I think they made the right call. Transformers interacting with regular humans is all fine and good.

When they start to interact with Superhumans, I lose interest. My least favorite issues of Marvel's original run are the ones that deal with Circuit Breaker and the Neo-Knights. The problem is that it shifts focus from building the Transformers up as characters, to instead building the super heroes up. If they had remained in the regular Marvel U, we would have had a ton of guest stars that would have taken away from the Cybertronian's page time and characterization.

The only way it would have worked is if they abandoned Earth and only returned every couple years to do a crossover.

3. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

I think they kept the universes together a bit longer.

Circuit Breaker appears in the Secret Wars II miniseries and encounters the Beyonder.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

Didn't IDW do some kind of semi-canon crossover with various Marvel superheroes back during the -ation runs?

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Yup.

New Avengers/Transformers - Transformers Wiki

I haven't read it, but the general consensus seems to be that it sucked ass.

6. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would've been disastrous.

Everytime Megs went on a rampage, you'd be asking the question - where are all the superheroes to help?

Likewise, Dr Doom? Doc Ock? They're nothing. Get Prime to sit on 'em.

I think it already stretches credulity that there are so many heroes in the same shared universe that somehow avoid bumping into each others adventures month in, month out (and most of them based out of NY!) - throw hundreds of giant robots into the mix...

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout A face you can trust! Really!

And there you have the answer for this thread.

Pretty sure they've been MASSIVELY cutting that down, especially with lowering the number of mutants to somewhere around 400-something and the whole "Civil War" epic-story where it was superhuman vs superhuman regardless of moral alignment.

8. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron would have had very fast ending. Decepticons attack, Magneto > metal robots. The End.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, it did.

It's a pretty run-off-the-mill crossover.
    For whatever stupid reason, Megatron uses
    Spider-Man's blood or whatever to make the Decepticons stronger (???)
    And then Iron Man
    has a speech how he will always win from Megatron because he is human.

Another writer who doesn't understand that Transformers are not just 'machines'. Le sigh.

10. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Didn't Spidey show up in a couple of early Marvel issues?

11. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it would have been cool to have more Spider-Man crossovers.

Iron Man crossovers seem like they would have made sense. Iron Man Vs. Circuit Breaker would have been awesome.

I remember reading a fan letter in the back of one of the G.I. Joe/Transformers crossovers complaining about how it ruined the "believable, well-written" story arc that G.I. Joe had going. I think there would have been a lot of similar backlash from fans of the other series... Superpowered mutants and lizard-men being so much more believable than alien robots, and all.

It would have made me buy more comics though.

12. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

i issue/story

13. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Issue #3, which Marvel only allowed because Transformers was only supposed to be a 4 issue mini-series. When they decided to turn the title into an ongoing, they pretty much pretended that Spidey's appearance was no longer cannon.

14. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

not exactly

By the time they produced issue 3 they already knew they were going to switch to a regular monthly format.

Also, Spiderman was mentioned by Megatron in a later UK as well as being seen on a poster in Busters room, again in the UK run

15. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

...............also, there are future mentions of Marvel Universe landmarks such as the Savage land and a very short cameo of "U.S.1", an other of Marvels books at the time.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also SHIELD got a panel cameo. Dinobots fought Shockwave in the Savage Land.

17. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would of been horrible, just like most crossovers.

18. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's awesome and I want to have your babies for thinking of it.

19. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, guys. I still kind of think a Decepticon\Skrull alliance, brittle or deceptive it might be, could be interesting. Oh well, I'M weird like that.

@Lazerface: You, sir, deserve a cookie medal of erogenous excellence for having Hal as your avatar!

20. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry DerV, I'm afraid I can't do that.