What if this is the end of the line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    There's been so much movie content, its kind of separate from the rest of the brand, and there's still stuff going on with it, so I don't think the movie forum is going anywhere for the next few years. And even then, it might be kept separate for quarantine reasons.

What if there just isn't the faith to continue with another movie after this? Setting aside that Bee seems to be doing OK (but not spectacularly), that Paramount needs recognizable brands that it can market, that Transformers comes with built-in financing from Hasbro (making it somewhat easier a movie to produce than a 'new' property), that nostalgia brands still seem to be attractive to producers, and that we live in a world where Spider-man gets 3 reboots in 10 years and his side-cast STILL get movies after their parent company gives up its exclusive rights...

Well, what that means is we're at the end of a long, wild ride. The brand has had highs and lows before, but we've never seen a "high" that has lasted this long, over TEN YEARS. There's a lot of people in the fandom who quite simply have never known a time when there wasn't a big Transformers movie a year or two out on the horizon. There's a lot of people who have no concept of the 'low' years, like after Action Masters and before G2, like after Beast Machines, like the uncertainty after Cybertron/Galaxy Force finished. They might not realize that those years are survivable, both by the brand and the fans, and that something newer, and potentially even bigger, can come later.

In all honesty, we've been spoiled since 2007. The years of the movies (and the pop culture nostalgia boom that it tied in with) have meant multiple concurrent shows and toylines, collector-focused products, and a place in the zeitgeist we probably haven't seen Transformers occupy since the 80s. Some of that might be disappearing, as the 'original' fans from the 80s lured back as collectors, and introducing their kids into the brand, start to age out of it. I very much doubt Hasbro is going to stop making Transformers, but the kind they make may change. They've shown that they have plans for multiyear 'arcs' of toys now, and that's good, it prevents the sort of rapid shifts in tone we saw when Transtech was abandoned (I <3 Car Robots don't ban me Tony). Even that might change if the ground shifts drastically, but the days of the 80s of toy brands losing hundreds of millions of dollars in a year like what happened with Mattel and He-man are unlikely to reoccur, I think. Maybe we'll see just one line, like Siege, that combines 'collector' interests with something that can be marketed to a general audience. Or maybe it'll be the opposite, with a 'collector' bone like a Masterpiece each year, and toys marketed to an increasingly younger demographic. Maybe the international market and other countries will drive the brand for a while. Maybe we'll see Hasbro get out of toys to a degree, and market their brand more in video games/mobile apps or non-movie media. It's hard to say, but there will be SOMETHING. There really hasn't been a year with NOTHING for 35 years.

And then, who's to say, in 2032, when the kids whose worlds got changed by the first movies are jacking their neural stacks into the infoverse to stemline emovids of seeing that 2007 Transformers film in theatres for the first time, there might be an opportunity for the brand to rise again on another wave of Nostalgia, and that time we'll get pilotable TF-branded mechsuits or something.

• Like Like x 4
  2. GuardianPrime19

GuardianPrime19 Prime

News Credits:
    People are forgetting that Bumblebee hasn’t been released in foreign markets such as China. Chinese revenue is what’s brought in so much cash for the films in the past, there’s no reason to think it won’t do the same this time

• Like Like x 1
  3. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

If it doesn't do well and they stop...well, at least I got one really good Transformers movie out of all this.

Maybe that's all I need.

However, there could be a nasty side effect - no more/reduced focus on Generations-styled toylines, and no more Studio Series figures for those who are movie collectors.

In which case, I'm not sure if anyone should be hoping for this to fail, even if they are burnt out on the movies.

With that said, if they choose to continue...more of THIS, please.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dragon

dragon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off reviews mean crap to me only review I trust is my own there are movies that had high reviews and scores I did not like them they where boring put me sleep reviews don’t make movies money it’s people who want to see them have good time who judge for them self to decide if they like movie not based on stranger opinion if movie is good,.

Food critic rates liver onions best dinner they had every person should try at Resturant you like eat at do you eat it that is question same can be said about life choices and movies to watch

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We'll just probably have to wait a few years before another is made. Maybe 5 years to build up interest again and more time for people to forget about TLK. If they do an actual full reboot expect robot designs to be as far as they can from Bayformers as possible. Even with Bumblebee being a soft reboot, he still does have the familiar Bayverse to his design.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm with you that reviews don't mean shit in terms of getting sequels made if they don't correspond to making money or getting awards. Good reviews do build reputation though, they can get some people off the fence and into the seats. They can and do help, at least a bit.

I'm not with you on the liver and onions comment, I normally hate the stuff but tried some last week on a recommendation and at that Resturant at least it was incredible.

7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I don't think it will be. Transformers is one of the biggest franchises of all time, they're probably not going to leave it dormant for very long. I think they're going to keep trying new approaches, until they finally find something that clicks (or until they're 100% convinced that there's no money left in the series.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    Bumblebee can bomb & they'll still make more movies. Transformers is too big to be stopped. It's always "the end of the line". lol

I wish Bumblebee would bomb so they'll quit pushing him & start concentrating on other characters. But it's not going to bomb, wait til it opens in China.

10. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Reviews may not mean anything to you, but they do to the studio.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

China is a changing market so it's tough to say exactly how Bumblebee will fair in China.

Age of Extinction did $320 million in China. The Last Knight did $228 million. To make that Last Knight drop even worse opening weekend for The Last Knight in China was $119 million so once people rushed out to be disappointed the ticket sales took a beating. Not sure how forgiving the ticket buyers are in China but it seems like marketing is going to have a tough time getting people back for another Transformers movie.

I guess we are going to need some board members in China to give us an idea if Bumblebee is the sort of movie that would fit in with what is popular in China right now.

12. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Hasbro has money to make.

13. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Highly doubt this is “The End Of The Line.” Even if Bumblebee bombs it will at least make some money back, there’s Transformers Toys currently being sold (Studio Series, Siege, Masterpiece Etc.) The actual brand & Hasbro are gaining money. The only real thing affected here would be Paramount as they have been struggling for awhile.

If it really does bomb there wouldn’t be a film for at least four years. Four to Five. If it makes some profit or just full on makes profit, another film would be released in 2021 at the earliest. (Just rough speculation.) Though + reviews COULD REALLY help the franchise and reputation of the brand right now, Bee could possibly collect a few extra coins because of these reviews.

The actual brand itself is fine except the fact that there is no actual BIG video game for current generation consoles that was recently released or releasing soon at the moment. Most recent was “Transformers: Devastation.”

Also anyone notice how G1 the brand is becoming? The signs were there early on, though over time it slowly began morphing into G1. By early 2020’s I think the brand will be full on G1, with a lot more younger, casual fans introduced to the series. Only thing not G1 right now is the Studio Series & some Bumblebee Movie figures.

Do I think it’s the end of the line? Nope.

14. Grand Slam

Grand Slam "The sounds of war are history speaking."

I’m going to suspend my firm belief that Bumblebee will be at least a moderate success with a long tail, e.g. Blu-Ray. IF it were to fail, our lords and saviors are already here, hiding in malls nationwide: Transformers: Botbots - The Motion Picture.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Temenos

Temenos The Touch

News Credits:
    Only when their movies tank.

16. RMStunticon

RMStunticon Dan Kuroto Fan

Bumblebee in his movie is much better than any other incarnation of him imo, much more genuinely heartwarming and enjoyable to watch. I doubt it'd sell you on him at this point given your views on the character and his prevalence but there's a reason the movie's pretty well received.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Then at least it will have gone off on a better note.

18. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's why the RT score hasn't been featured in any advertising.

Oh, wait...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    I have way too many problems with Bumblebee. I liked him in the 2007 movie. But then in ROTF he killed Ravage & that's where I started to hate him. Ravage was my favorite character in ROTF.

In the 2007 movie Megatron ripped Jazz in half & he died. In the Last Knight Bumblebee gets blown into a million pieces but magically reforms with no explanation. They even killed Optimus Prime in ROTF but Bumblebee cannot die. And that doesn't bother anybody. Bumblebee kills every Decepticon that gets near him. He's ridiculously over powered. He gets more fucking toys than any other character. He has to be on every piece of Transformers merchandise, it's always him & Optimus Prime ad nauseam. He still has that stupid "radio speak" crap that's old & lame. They've made him the most ridiculous character & have successfully brainwashed the mindless drone population into thinking he's their favorite character. Because they never got a chance to get to know any other characters.

Just step back for a minute & look at the current state the Transformers franchise is in. Bumblebee has completely taken over. Absolute overkill. It's totally ridiculous & nobody else can see it. Before 2007 you never heard about Bumblebee. Bumblebee wasn't in Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RID, Armada, Energon or Cybertron. Nobody gave a rat's ass about Bumblebee but then all of a sudden starting in 2007 he's constantly in your face. They've been brainwashing everybody for 11 years straight & now Transformers IS Bumblebee. Bumblebee IS Transformers. You can no longer have Transformers without Bumblebee. It has become so fucking sickening that he even has an entire live action movie dedicated to him. And I'm the only one that can see how insane the whole situation has become. I'm the bad guy because I'm wide awake saying "WTF is going on??? What the hell have they done to this franchise?". Everybody else is just mindlessly going with the flow, asleep, plugged into The Matrix, they all took the blue pill.

20. darkspellmaster

darkspellmaster Well-Known Member

Honestly I don't think it will tank. It has a lower budget and word of mouth is spreading. No one had yet to factor in sales of merchandise for the character, and there is more out there that could add up.

Right now its number 3, which against Mary Poppins and Aquaman is great. It's a film that's a slow burn and better that way. Word of mouth allows for more people to want to see why others are talking this up.

• Like Like x 1