What if there were Gundam style 3P Transformers kits?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Nov 8, 2016.

?

How many people who answered uninterested do you think would buy these and build them?

1. more than half

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. less than half

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

If 3P companies or company were to offer Transformers as a Gundam style kit, would you buy them to add to your MP scale collection?

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I totally would. I think it would be a lot of fun.

3. FortMax123

FortMax123 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't that kinda like kabaya basically? But yeah. I'd buy them. :) 

4. Dachande

Dachande Very Hank. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why 3P? We have official Kabaya and the DMK kits, both proving it can be done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Well for all intents and purposes, who makes them isn't as important as what they make. I like 3P however because then they aren't bound by all those dumb regulations and stuff.
    I would be specifically interested in how articulated they can be.
    Being unassembled would hopefully keep costs down and make customization a lot easier from the very beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  6. alex1984

alex1984 Well-Known Member

Hmm. As much of a fan as I am of Gundams, I'm not sure about this. Gundams aren't really designed to endure the amount of play most TF's see. Something like a DMK that's more for display is definitely doable, but I fear a full-on TF would probably deteriorate very quickly.

7. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Apples and oranges my friend. Model kits aren't exactly the kind of thing for kids to play with.
    This would appeal to people who get their enjoyment from building, customizing, photographing. The allure is the detail and poseability, not something to lay on the floor with and have a smash contest with other collectibles.
    3P and Masterpiece Transformers from the best of my knowledge don't see much play either. I'm 40 yrs old lol. I quit playing with toys about 30 years ago.

8. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    depending on what you mean, there are some third party gundams already. very nice. ill post one when i get a sec.

edit - these dont look very delicate.so yeah, i dont care about gundam style transformers, but id buy more transformers-style gundams like this, ready built and sturdy.
    moshow strike gundam

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gen jay

Gen jay Well-Known Member

Love Gundam kits. So yes would love to see that happen! (Like GT megasorry)

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrooklynBombers

BrooklynBombers Well-Known Member

Yeah, Warbotron / GT has put out three legends scale kits -- Soundwave, Grimlock, and Megatron. I love the idea, but the kids tend to be pretty frustrating with tolerances and missing pieces. But I'd absolutely buy if someone could do a good job.

• Like Like x 1
  11. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    HELL YES I would! They could crank out MP sized car kits and sell them for roughly half the price!

• Like Like x 1
  12. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    I would consider for sure, but i would prefer NONE transformable, and more durable plastic as HGUC (1/144th scale) plastic, or more detailed like the Real Grade (1/144th scale). I guess master grade could be good too, but i prefer the smaller scale, high detailed, none-transforming / none-gimicks version. It can be transformable too, but usually that means it will be floppy and you cant really play with it as much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Do you mean "CHUG" scale TFs?

14. Staldo

Staldo Well-Known Member

I bought the perfect grade Zeta gundam when it first came out. Being 18 and busy with school, I misassembled it and didn't string the wire through the wings for the wing lights, it was just too damn complicated and this was the one step where the instructions failed me. Even so, it is to this day the most thoughtfully designed transforming toy I own aside from MP01, and very durable because of all the screws. He stood next to my TF figures and just looked like the king of them all, some kind of scion of Primus. Not knocking any of the third party toys I've purchased, as they are for the most part amazing.

I'd be down for a transforming, at least master grade complexity third party TF model. Full internal skeletons. Perfect grade would be even better. Maybe a good fit for the much maligned idea of third party live action tf movie toys because of all their moving parts.

But can you imagine a transforming G1 Megatron model, for instance, where you first build his entire internal skeleton, as shown in TF:TM during the reformatting sequence? Such a model could even have panels on little hinges and hydraulic cylinders that open up in the armor to reveal internal weapons or diagnostic devices for somebody like Perceptor or Ratchet. The design budget would have to be absolutely insane but I dream of something like that.

Maybe the 3P in question could hire disgruntled Bandai designers.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  15. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Why do you called it "Gundam style" kits? Why not just say "model kit"?

16. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    No, in Gundam HGUC is a line of kits, High Grade Universal Century. They're all in the same scale (1/144), as opposed to MG (1/100) or PG (1/60).

Anyways, as much as I love me a good Gundam kit (I've got three Detolfs of HG and RG kits myself), I think I'd pass on Transformer models. Gundam kits look great, especially with some paint, but they're also fiddly. I get them to look how I want, I put them on display, then I never touch them again.

Transformers have to be played with. I need to be able to pick it up and transform it. Anyone who's built an HG kit will tell you that will either involve massive partsforming or, as RG Zeta kit owners will tell you, be such a pain in the ass that you'll never do it.

17. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:

Oh, I see. Good thing you didn't want an "HGUC CHUG TF" then, or it would become really confusing...

• Like Like x 1
  18. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Ok finally someone with vision. You and I are on the same page completely dude.
    Do I called it like that was because Gundam style kits are a specific type of kit with presicision engineering and superior articulation with transforming capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually glad he clarified "Gundam kits" as opposed to just "model kits".
    A model kit can be anything from the snap together toys you get in a Kinder surprise egg to a Revell model ship with realistic rigging, sails and several thousand parts.
    A Gundam kit is quite specific in the style, quality and techniques used. Makes it clear what he's asking.
    And yes, I would love a TF themed Gundam kit from someone like Bandai (or someone who can match their quality). I'm into modelling but have no investment in the Gundam mythos so the current kits are kind of "meh" to me. Only ones I have are the Evangelion ones (High Grades I think they are) If there where kitsvthat evoked the Transformers design Is be right into them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Haha yeah we need glue together Revell 30 inch Devastator with 4000 pieces haha NOT