What if that TR Megatron is meant for more than just a Blitzwing retool?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by slochmoeller, Nov 19, 2016.

1. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

So it's pretty clear that TR Megatron is meant to be Blitzwing. That's the first conclusion everyone jumped to. But as we've been seeing more of the toy in recent video reviews, I'm starting to think the mold may be meant for more.

I think it may be retooled down the line into the Seekers.

What makes me say this? Well, priorities in design seem interesting. The Jet looks super cohesive and clean, much more than the tank does. And it looks more like a traditional f15 Than Blitzwing usually does. Then there's where the wings end up on the Robot. Megatron keeps them folded up, but it looks like they could easily be unfurled to a traditionally seeker upside down behind the back wing configuration. The weapons ports on the for arms would work well for Null rays. And the tail fins fold up on the ankle, the way a Seeker's does.

But the detail that really makes me think Takara/Hasbro has this in mind? The weird little flip up pylons on the sides of Megatron's head. All the Voyagers have something like that, and it's not very Megatron-esque. Everyone seems to think they are for blitzwing, but Blitzwing never had details like that as far as I can tell, not in animation models or toys or comics. So why are they there?

Picture them Red with A Starscream head in the middle and I think you'll understand. They are the intake vents from most Starscream designs.

There is precedent for something like this design wise. There was that Cloud Starscream from Generations Doubledealer from Generations Blitzwing. It was an interesting idea then, and I think would work way better with the new mold. aside from the head, New chest and abdomen pieces with a set of Null rays is all that's needed to make it work.

Fans have been on HasTAK for years for a voyager chug seeker, so I think this is how they are angling to do it. And they are reusing molds more now than ever before. Even Optimus Prime has to share his molds now.

What do you think? And what do you think of Megatron, Blitzwing, Starscream, Thundercrackers, and Skywarp all maybe sharing a mold??

2. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

I think that would be pretty awful, to be honest. If you're going to make three characters that are characterized as having the exact same body type, the least you could do is make a new mold to learn and enjoy.

Also, why is no one mentioning Flywheels as a potential repaint/remold? He has a head already, and Flywheels looks like Blitzwing in the comics!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

I think there's only so many times at a given time Hasbro can get away with making a full set of Seekers if they want people to keep buying them without succumbing to decaying interest, and with Combiner Wars having effectively two sets of them running at the same time was kind of pushing it, while this year we're already looking forward to a RID Skywarp out of RID Starscream.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I already have a Starscream that uses a Voyager size Blitzwing body and he is glorious!

5. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

My theory is that this will materalize in Prime wars 3, which I think will combine combiners and titan masters with a beast theme, so that they can get away with only a few new molds and use a lot of redos of combiner wars and titan wars toys.

But I also think that's when they're going to drop their full set of CHUG g1 headmaster dinobot combiners, which will function as Hasbro's ultimate mic drop to third parties, but that's the topic of another thread.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I could go for a Flywheels reuse. Not the seekers though.

Problem with that is we've already had quite a few beasts in TR already though. Surely they would have held off on Weirdwolf Doubleheader et al if that was the case.

7. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    That detail stuff is more likely a consequence of the fact that Blitzwing and the seekers share a ridiculous amount of detailing. Those side pop up bits are supposed to be the purple outer detailing on Blitzwing's helmet.

8. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Artist with a Temper

News Credits:
    Wow, I didn't catch that at all!

• Like Like x 1
  9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

When tank-jet-formers show up, everyone mentions Flywheels but forgets poor old Slamdance... :) 

10. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Forgive my lack of knowledge - I remember the Thrilling 30 molds, which were the other set?

Do you mean the TF Cloud repaint?

Good call! I saw a digi-bash somewhere with TR Rewind done as a Slamdance homage. It worked really well.

11. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

I thought about this when watching the megatron reviews. Interesting, but the biggest issue is the chest. It's the top of the plane. I can't see a way that they can implement the canopy chest which is a design element on almost all seeker toys.

I'm with ya! As an owner of the original Slamdance, I'd love to see them pull off a red tank and blue jet in one mold.

12. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

The Leader class Seekers from Combiner Wars. Thundercracker... never really showed up at retail due to how screwed up distribution was last year, Starscream sold pretty well since he's Starscream, and then Skywarp... by the time Skywarp came around, people kinda had lost interest and mold fatigue was beginning to set in since it was already the 4th use of the Generations Jetfire mold and the 3rd straight wave with it (I say third in a row since Ultra Magnus ended up showing up before Thundercracker in most places) so it shelfwarmed really badly until quite recently. My local Target still has one sitting alongside TR Blaster.

13. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

I'd expect an homage to one of these over turning that mold into a seeker. Maybe they should go with Slamdance (with Grand Slam as the TM) since the first two uses of the mold will be Decepticons.

I want Hasbro to make voyager size seekers, but without the now obligatory third mode.

14. MasterScale

Thanks :)  The molds you mentioned were the one's I had in mind. Still lost as to the other set :oops: 

15. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

Other set's the Legends class ones, which I thought were what you were talking about.

16. MasterScale

Ah! Got it. Totally forgot about those :p  You were right, too: the Leader class seekers have 'Combiner Wars' on the box.

17. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    With the Prime Wars trilogy being so gimmick themed so far and the popular speculation being that part three will have some sort of beast/pretenders theme I can't help but think that what comes after that will be a 'back to basics' 84/85 cast. They're the figures that haven't had a dedicated mold or have aging designs, like the Classics Prowl and Starscream. We might finally get out Voyager Seekers.

All that said, the Megatron/Blitzwing mold isn't that much more incongruent a seeker mold that Leader Jetfire was.

18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, that's the one.

Gorgeous figure, but I can't blame folks for wanting the Megatron/Blitzwing mold to be made as Seekers as well.

19. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

Not sure about having Seeker remakes 3 Generations sublines in a row (Thrilling 30, Combiner Wars, and then this), but if they made a new Flywheels with that mold, then shut up and take my money!

20. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Very good point.
    The main issue I have is the 3rd mode seems very un-seeker-ish. That certainly wont stop Japanese Cloud from using it, but would be too weird for us. ...About as weird as Megatron having a plane mode! :)